Common searches

Who else is pumped for VR?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 65, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would have been nice if notch went in to some more detail. How is Facebook "[not] historically been a stable platform"? How is Facebook "not a company of grass-roots tech enthusiasts"?

The website and their advertising business is a revenue stream, like AdSense for Google. Behind that, they're very much a tech focussed company, developing distributed data technologies, finding energy efficient ways to produce their petaflops of computing power, etc etc etc.

Plus some of the things are clearly bullshit. He wouldn't be "working with Facebook" or "work(ing) with social", Palmer clearly said that neither of these things are the case. Just more kneejerk nonsense.

He's been calm and eloquent, but he's still a precious bitch.

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2014-03-28, 02:39. Edited 2 times in total.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 61 of 65, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Carmack had to say this during the first few hours of the buyout:

"For the record, I am coding right now, just like I was last week.I expect the FB deal will avoid several embarrassing scaling crisis for VR."

Then he tweeted this:

"“I have a deep respect for the technical scale that FB operates at. The cyberspace we want for VR will be at this scale.”"

He also joked about getting a Facebook account now 😜

Reply 62 of 65, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

He's been calm and eloquent, but he's still a precious bitch.

Ha! He's a programmer - we're all precious bitches.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 63 of 65, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:
Carmack had to say this during the first few hours of the buyout: […]
Show full quote

Carmack had to say this during the first few hours of the buyout:

"For the record, I am coding right now, just like I was last week.I expect the FB deal will avoid several embarrassing scaling crisis for VR."

Then he tweeted this:

"“I have a deep respect for the technical scale that FB operates at. The cyberspace we want for VR will be at this scale.”"

He also joked about getting a Facebook account now 😜

Nice! Even if I didn't trust Palmer Luckey, I'd trust Carmack in a heartbeat.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 64 of 65, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, knee jerk crazy reactions 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 65 of 65, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Put it this way - I don't really care about OR, and have no investment in it (monetary or emotional), but I'm glad that the "crazy knee-jerk reactions" exist; I'd be very worried if there was no backlash from the FB purchase.
Don't trust them? - your loss is the next cool tech toy that we ultimately don't really need. Trust them? - your *potential* loss is something we all badly need which is being progressively corroded in today's online world. Even if it may turn out to be a false alarm, the pros and cons are pretty clear.

Plus, trust issues aside... a deal with facebook in 2014 is like a deal with MySpace in 2008.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]