Common searches

Games with deeper meanings/symbolism

Topic actions

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only one of these I can think of off the top of my head is "Beneath a Steel Sky" (great game, btw, pick it up already off GOG.com for free if you haven't already)

You have the main plot of getting to the bottom of why you have been abducted, but there is a deeper theme of class struggle within the game.

Deeper than that, though, is a much more subtle Nietzsche-esque message. The character Robert Foster is called "Overman" by one of his enemies (I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I'll keep things vague).
Through the course of his adventures, Foster/Overman upgrades his robot buddy, Joey, into better more capable "shells" (continuing with the "superman/ubermensch" theme). By the end, Joey has gone through a radical transformation from his humble beginnings. So too, has Foster.

Anyone else who has played the game agree with this analysis, or am I reaching? Are there other games out there that have more to them than surface appearances would lead you to believe?

Reply 3 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have never thought of Beneath a Steel Sky as being particularly deep. I mean, you certainly can look at it that way, but I think it's stretching things just a tad.

I never did get around to playing Infocom's Trinity. Now that, I hear, is pretty deep.

Reply 4 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love that game, but I do think you're stretching it a bit. Granted, I'm not big into Nietzsche, if you're willing to explain more I'd be open to it.

Off the top of my head:

-Braid
-Limbo
-The Legacy of Kain series
-Metal Gear Solid games (Kojima is pretty crazy)
-Fallout games

I'm not entirely sure about the last two games I listed, it really depends on how phrase the question. For example, Fallout always freaked me the hell out with its imagery and text. It practically shows the worst side of humanity and what could potentially have happened following an all-out nuclear war that destroyed almost everything. In all honesty, Fallout 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I can never stand to play it for more than 2 hours straight. I just get super sad and uneasy.
I'm not really sure on whether this can be considered a deeper meaning.

Reply 5 of 24, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Thanks for mentioning that series. I remember playing MGS2, and Solidus Snake talked about what The Patriots (The Lalilulelo ), was doing with the internet and stuff like that. And well guess what has happened since, when it comes to ACTA, and all the other crazy bills.

Reply 6 of 24, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The deepest of the deeper meaning game that I have ever played is Xenogears for the PlayStation. It deals with child molestation by priests, the controversies surrounding Bible and the controversies of so called religion. It's deep message is frighteningly real that it's what's been happening even in the other so called religion I was forced (by birth, as usual) to follow previously. As one who was once much devoted to this so called religion previously, I can safely say now that it's all one big pack of lies. It's all about maintaining power and authority through instilling fear of the unseen and unknown. You don't need a set of doctrines or Scriptures to teach you to love others and not cheat or hurt others. The rest all are BS.
I'm glad to be a free thinker now.

Assassin's Creed II deals with the conspiracies of the Vatican, to a certain extent.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 24, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:
I love that game, but I do think you're stretching it a bit. Granted, I'm not big into Nietzsche, if you're willing to explain m […]
Show full quote

I love that game, but I do think you're stretching it a bit. Granted, I'm not big into Nietzsche, if you're willing to explain more I'd be open to it.

Off the top of my head:

-Braid
-Limbo
-The Legacy of Kain series
-Fallout games

I'm not entirely sure about the last two games I listed, it really depends on how phrase the question. For example, Fallout always freaked me the hell out with its imagery and text. It practically shows the worst side of humanity and what could potentially have happened following an all-out nuclear war that destroyed almost everything. In all honesty, Fallout 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I can never stand to play it for more than 2 hours straight. I just get super sad and uneasy.
I'm not really sure on whether this can be considered a deeper meaning.

Fallout 1 and 2 are some of the greatest games ever made, especially in 2 where they reveal the reason for the existence of the vaults. If you don't at least play through Fallout 1 you're missing out. But yes, they're bleak.

As far as Nietzsche goes, the wikipedia entry probably explains it better than I ever could:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nietzsche

Again, I might be reaching but I do think there are elements of his philosophy within the game. Joey, Foster's robot buddy/assistant starts out as a laughable roomba-esque type robot, but by the end of the game he and Robert are equals. There really isn't a whole lot of "will to power" in Joey's transformation (since it happens almost by accident as you progress through the game) but he does become a sort of "ubermensch" or "superman" by the end. That is really the only explicit thing, other than the main character's real name being Overman (overman = superman/ubermensch). You could also argue that the class struggle between the haves and have nots represents the struggle with master/slave morality.

Reply 8 of 24, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I liked very much Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossfire. It did so always tongue in cheek but it touched with style non-trivial subjects like politics, sociology, transcendence and first contact. Some in-game videos, often with excerpts from the movie Baraka, were pieces of art.

A token.

Let the air flow!

Reply 10 of 24, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny note about the intro: the tribal elder is holding up a flattened can of Foster's Beer (where Overmann gets his new name). On the beer label it says SS I.P.M (RAW)

Which, of course, is "warm piss" spelled backwards. Guess someone didn't care for Foster's Lager, 🤣.

Reply 11 of 24, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd add:

- The other Fallout games (3 and NV; the DLCs even moreso)
- Hitman (entire series)
- Mass Effect (entire series)
- Total War (not entirely sure on this one - it presents a lot of historical facts and figures, but I'm not sure it evokes any serious philosophical dialogs)

Reply 12 of 24, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snorg wrote:

Funny note about the intro: the tribal elder is holding up a flattened can of Foster's Beer (where Overmann gets his new name). On the beer label it says SS I.P.M (RAW)

Which, of course, is "warm piss" spelled backwards. Guess someone didn't care for Foster's Lager, 🤣.

Confirmed. Nobody in Australia drinks fosters so they ship it out to the rest of the world.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 13 of 24, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

Confirmed. Nobody in Australia drinks fosters so they ship it out to the rest of the world.

For which we appologise.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 14 of 24, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it is better than Bud Light. That isn't really hard, though. I'm not much of a beer snob, but I don't care for Bud Light. Perhaps I just have pedestrian tastes. I like Sam Adams, Amstel Light and Dos Equis, although those aren't terribly exotic. I can't understand why everyone raves about Heineken, though.

Reply 15 of 24, by Chewhacca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

For which we appologise.

What's this Foster's stuff I keep hearing about?

On topic: Fallout - NV and the DLC's. Especially Lonesome Road.

Reply 16 of 24, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Chewhacca wrote:
badmojo wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

For which we appologise.

Yeah, certainly Lonesome Road. I was thinking of Fallout 3: The Pitt, but LR is also kind of a moral thicket. And a nice nod to Zelazny... 😎

Reply 17 of 24, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

I was reading the manual for that a couple of days ago. Great stuff, but the most memorable thing from the game, at least for me, was the fantastic intro.

I just realized you probably meant the intro for Fallout. The High Energy Weapons FAQ in the manual is one of the best parts. I no longer have the box for the game (wish I had kept it, I only have a few boxed games, especially with the quality of packaging declining over the years) but still have the manual. I think I have 2 physical copies of Fallout 1&2 as well as the digital copies off GOG. I also have 2 copies of Fallout 3 (I think I ordered one collector's edition and 1 regular copy, and then I bought a "digital deluxe game of the year" edition with all the expansions when it went for sale on Steam. I think my copy of New Vegas is Steam only.

So yeah they made more than their share off me but I love those games so much I didn't mind spending extra to get the collector's edition (even though I already had a copy) and the Steam deal was so good I couldn't pass it up, since I was missing one or 2 of the DLCs. I think I got all of them and the main game for like $5 or $10 or something ridiculously cheap.

Reply 18 of 24, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Chewhacca wrote:
badmojo wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

For which we appologise.

We have established it is mediocre beer, and our friends from Down Under have apologized for subjecting us to it. Althought to be quite honest, InBev (beverage conglomerate) probably owns Foster's as well as several American beers, although I can't be bothered to go look it up right now, 🤣.

Reply 19 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
snorg wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

I was reading the manual for that a couple of days ago. Great stuff, but the most memorable thing from the game, at least for me, was the fantastic intro.

I just realized you probably meant the intro for Fallout. The High Energy Weapons FAQ in the manual is one of the best parts. I no longer have the box for the game (wish I had kept it, I only have a few boxed games, especially with the quality of packaging declining over the years) but still have the manual. I think I have 2 physical copies of Fallout 1&2 as well as the digital copies off GOG. I also have 2 copies of Fallout 3 (I think I ordered one collector's edition and 1 regular copy, and then I bought a "digital deluxe game of the year" edition with all the expansions when it went for sale on Steam. I think my copy of New Vegas is Steam only.

So yeah they made more than their share off me but I love those games so much I didn't mind spending extra to get the collector's edition (even though I already had a copy) and the Steam deal was so good I couldn't pass it up, since I was missing one or 2 of the DLCs. I think I got all of them and the main game for like $5 or $10 or something ridiculously cheap.

Nah I was talking about Alpha Centauri 😀.
Fallout has an amazing intro though! Definitely, one of my favorites! Fallout 1 boxed is quite expensive nowadays, I'm still looking for it at a reasonable price! I got my Fallout 2 boxed for 5 Euro though, so I can't really complain 😁.

Beneath a Steel Sky also has one of my favorite intros, the CD-ROM version that is.