Common searches

"Load more" feature

Topic actions

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure if this has an actual name, web developers on here will probably correct me, but I'm talking about that "feature" where you have to klick a button each time to get more search results.

This is the most stupid design thing ever invented since the dawn of WWW. It's now on youtube too and this reminded me how much I hate it. It's so slow and inefficient while giving nothing in return! Unlike a normal list it hogs the CPU every time when scrolling and gives this nice stuttery feel on even the newest of CPUs. It's made for portable devices alright, well I guess they thought why not have that stutter on PC too 😀

Reply 1 of 21, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I honestly don't know why this has become so prevalent either. It wastes tons more bandwidth when you're trying to find something in the middle of a huge list of things, it's much slower than selecting specific pages, and the automatic nature of some of them makes it physically impossible to see what's at the bottom of a webpage until you've loaded the ENTIRE list of things. >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah!!! Looks great 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@ Stiletto: That's fantastic! 😁
(please don't make this a reality though! 😵 )

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 21, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

AAAHHHHHRRRGGG! El Diablo de los 7,000 Cachos!!!!!

😵 Take it away, take it away, take it awayyyy! 😵

PS: Just kidding 😁 . And I agree with Tetrium as well.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 8 of 21, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Appreciate the praise, guys, but I didn't make this. It was posted by VileRancour around the time of the MobyGames redesign.
Re: The Demise of MobyGames

As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to bookmark it 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 21, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Isn't the "background" for this feature to serve/pander to mobile/tablet/etc kinds of devices and their puny screens and lack of keyboard/mouse control?

But yeah, agreed that it's obnoxious. Wouldn't mind Starship Troopers style though...having NPH guide you through the splendor of the Internet would probably be pretty entertaining. At least for a while.

Reply 11 of 21, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Appreciate the praise, guys, but I didn't make this. It was posted by VileRancour around the time of the MobyGames redesign.
Re: The Demise of MobyGames

As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to bookmark it 😀

😁
If browsing a well-designed site is the UI equivalent of taking a pleasant stroll down the street, that "LOAD MORE" button is when a stranger comes up and repeatedly kicks you in the nuts.

And speaking of MobyGames, some of you may want to check what's going on now...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 12 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh my god.

So glad I jumped ship once again when it was about disputing a year correction, but I feel dirty misleading with my optimism about the reverted MobyGames. Reed doesn't understand why there was joy about the site reverting. It's history repeating itself again.. this time with some fantasy to imitate Amazon and IMDB - the latter which had a user revolt for this place.

AND THEY FUCKING TOOK AWAY MOBYDARK (FOR THE SECOND TIME)!!!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 21, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's still not as bad as the gamefly fiasco (tabs in game pages are nice), I just don't like useful functionality being moved out of the way and screen space being wasted. Hope it doesn't get worse.

leileilol wrote:

AND THEY FUCKING TOOK AWAY MOBYDARK (FOR THE SECOND TIME)!!!

Second? they brought it back after the first time?
Anyway, I've spammed the MG forums about it enough, but at least there's that replacement I made with Stylish...

Reply 14 of 21, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Eh, I'm taking a "wait and see" point of view, I definitely don't think it's as bad a situation as the GameFly one. Look at VOGONS, Qbix and collector went out of their way to have it remain as similar as possible while still adding new features and updating to new board software.

UI upgrades are always fraught with drama. There are those who do not want change or modernization come hell or high water.

That said, is there something I'm missing with regards to my posts there? This is the second time in a row I post something on their forums and get ZERO response for days. What gives? Can people not see them until I reach so many stars or something?
http://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,4/dgm,191089/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 21, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, too much going on lately in other fronts, I guess. I just gave your thread a bump, definitely deserves one.

Reply 16 of 21, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see things reverting back to they way they were anytime soon and the people who put together sites in such a manner are not that bright. Despises the changes that have been made to youtube over the last few years much like windows. Making things more bloated than ever is not progress unless the intention is to get people to use it less.

Would be nice if a new worm of something got out that targeted smart phones well enough that it disabled them by the millions. 😈

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 17 of 21, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

UI upgrades are always fraught with drama. There are those who do not want change or modernization come hell or high water.

100% agree with this. Every time Microsoft or Apple release a new OS it is "more bloated than ever" and "too slow to be useful" and "a royal mess" (and we should all just "stick with what we have, because it works, and grandpa never upgraded anything and was okay walking uphill both ways 3000 miles in an arctic whiteout over jagged terrain with no shoes while fighting a pack of rabid dogs bare-handed with a broken arm and 700 lbs of gear on his back on his way to school every day" 🤣) - and then after a few years all of that crying goes away as people get used to the new buttons and knobs, and then Microsoft or Apple goes ahead and decides they don't have enough drama in their lives and starts the whole process over again. 🤣 Being an end-user is honestly a lot nicer than being on the "receiving end" of that too - I remember all the drama and crying about how Windows XP was a sign of the end of days, how Windows Vista was the herald of the biblical apocalpyse, etc etc. 😵 I'm sure there's equally loud complaining about Windows 8 going and changing things again (I've heard it referenced as an "infection" and "plague" in the recent past).

And note that I'm not condemning folks for disliking change - that's their prerogative. What gets frustrating is when it progresses beyond that. 😵

Personally changes in UI never did a lot for me either way, unless they're counter-intuitive (and this doesn't mean "have a learning curve" - this means "some stupid feature was changed that requires more keypresses, clicks, etc to access my target just so that Bonzi Buddy can dance around or Paperclip can talk to you"). The "load more" kinds of buttons fit into the counter-intuitive category; Microsoft's "ribbons" UI feature is more in the "has a learning curve" category. At least in my opinion (experience?). I've never had a problem with things like PGL or Aero - as long as my computer can run them and they look cool, why not? I also miss PNY's Verto Desktop. 😢

Reply 18 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:
100% agree with this. Every time Microsoft or Apple release a new OS it is "more bloated than ever" and "too slow to be useful" […]
Show full quote
Stiletto wrote:

100% agree with this. Every time Microsoft or Apple release a new OS it is "more bloated than ever" and "too slow to be useful" and "a royal mess" (and we should all just "stick with what we have, because it works, and grandpa never upgraded anything and was okay walking uphill both ways 3000 miles in an arctic whiteout over jagged terrain with no shoes while fighting a pack of rabid dogs bare-handed with a broken arm and 700 lbs of gear on his back on his way to school every day" 🤣) - and then after a few years all of that crying goes away as people get used to the new buttons and knobs, and then Microsoft or Apple goes ahead and decides they don't have enough drama in their lives and starts the whole process over again. 🤣 Being an end-user is honestly a lot nicer than being on the "receiving end" of that too - I remember all the drama and crying about how Windows XP was a sign of the end of days, how Windows Vista was the herald of the biblical apocalpyse, etc etc. 😵 I'm sure there's equally loud complaining about Windows 8 going and changing things again (I've heard it referenced as an "infection" and "plague" in the recent past).

And note that I'm not condemning folks for disliking change - that's their prerogative. What gets frustrating is when it progresses beyond that. 😵

Personally changes in UI never did a lot for me either way, unless they're counter-intuitive (and this doesn't mean "have a learning curve" - this means "some stupid feature was changed that requires more keypresses, clicks, etc to access my target just so that Bonzi Buddy can dance around or Paperclip can talk to you"). The "load more" kinds of buttons fit into the counter-intuitive category; Microsoft's "ribbons" UI feature is more in the "has a learning curve" category. At least in my opinion (experience?). I've never had a problem with things like PGL or Aero - as long as my computer can run them and they look cool, why not? I also miss PNY's Verto Desktop. 😢

While I agree with you that every UI change seems to have adverse reactions (I remember when the new XP UI was out and hearing lots of complaints about it, which I never really understood), personally I've always been a fan of the UI's of Windows 98 and up and also the XP and 7 ones (I never tried Vista so can't really comment on that, but I presume it is roughly similar to 7). I might also be one of the few that prefer Windows 95 with the slower newer UI instead of the Windows 3.1 one (please don't hurt me 🤣).
Just ftr, I liked these UI's right from the start, even if it meant more instability. I really find the start button very convenient and it fits my personal style perfectly 😀

But the Windows 8 UI really isn't for me. It really isn't. If I ever get my hands on 8, the very first thing I'll do is switch it back to the 7-style desktop and somehow hack a startbutton in there, preferably as fully functional as the one in 7 and earlier.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 21, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

While I agree with you that every UI change seems to have adverse reactions (I remember when the new XP UI was out and hearing lots of complaints about it, which I never really understood), personally I've always been a fan of the UI's of Windows 98 and up and also the XP and 7 ones (I never tried Vista so can't really comment on that, but I presume it is roughly similar to 7). I might also be one of the few that prefer Windows 95 with the slower newer UI instead of the Windows 3.1 one (please don't hurt me 🤣).
Just ftr, I liked these UI's right from the start, even if it meant more instability. I really find the start button very convenient and it fits my personal style perfectly 😀

And preference is totally okay - I actually kind of miss that Microsoft removed the "legacy UI" components with Vista forwards (you know how XP can be switched to look more like Windows 2000? Vista and 7 cannot). Aero can turn off, but that's it.

And yeah, Vista looks pretty similar to 7 - there's a few differences, probably a lot like WinXP with the "2000 style" UI vs actual 2000 in terms of total differences. Under the hood there are improvements in 7 though.

But the Windows 8 UI really isn't for me. It really isn't. If I ever get my hands on 8, the very first thing I'll do is switch it back to the 7-style desktop and somehow hack a startbutton in there, preferably as fully functional as the one in 7 and earlier.

Sounds like you'd like 8.1. 😊