VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just noticed the bass has started to go on the left side of my Sennheiser headphones. It's only a slight drop in bass quality and difficult to pick up on during normal use, but for making music, it's throwing me off and skewing the volume levels I'm setting for individual channels and panning and whatnot. Ah well, they lasted nearly a decade of daily use so I definitely got my money's worth out of them. :)

So, it's time to start looking for a new pair before they die completely. I've heard rumours that Sennheiser produces all their stuff in China now, and if that's true I'd be weary about buying a new pair of headphones from them, regardless of how expensive they are, so what are everyone's recommendations for a high-end pair of headphones worth between $100 and $200?

My stipulations for the kind of pair I would want are:
* Headband should go around the top of the head, not the back
* Padding on the muffs should be a soft fabric, not coated foam
* Wires should be detachable and replaceable
* NOT wireless or noise-cancelling

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What Sennheiser model do you have? I ask because the higher-end ones (if its from the 565/580/600/650 family specifically) can have their drivers (and basically everything else) replaced for less than the price of replacing the headphones. Just contact Sennheiser's support department to order parts - at least that's what I've always seen done.

Also, what are you plugging these into? Can it handle high impedance loads and/or low sensitivity models?

As far as Sennheiser manufacturing country of origin - as far as I am aware, the 580/600/650 family is still coming from Ireland, the silly expensive models are German made, and the "consumer" stuff like HD 280, 555, etc have been made in China for some time, as are the newer models. I'd be very cautious if you go after the 5x5 or 5x8 series, as many users report cracks in the plastic from use over time (such a great feature in a $150+ product, isn't it? the more expensive models (even the HD 650) can actually have this problem too - they're all plastic after all). Personally I've never liked the sound quality that much to bother with them.

Now, onto headphones themselves: the $100-$300 segment is absolutely flooded right now. Most of it is garbage; sadly (bass-boosted, bloaty, etc to try and latch-on to the "Beats By Dr Dre" phenomenon). My advice would be to look at models/manufacturers that've been around since before the "trendiness" began. Also remember that due to said "trendiness" the $100-$200 segment isn't "high end" anymore (which is also ridiculous, but it is what it is).

Some various models that come to mind (all based on personal experience; feel free to ask any questions you've got - this was/is kind of a side hobby for me):

- Koss MV1 and PRO4/AA. Both are made in the US, both carry the lifetime warranty, offer good isolation, and good construction quality. The differences in sound are not subtle - the MV1 are relatively flat and clean sounding, the PRO4/AA are a bit more "hi-fi" sounding (more bass and treble, but certainly not boomy or bloated). In the US they should be around $80-$100/ea but I don't know if their prices change dramatically in Canada.

- Ultrasone HFI-2400. Made in Taiwan, open-back, very comfortable. They feature Ultrasone's S-Logic functionality (which is not DSP/filter based - it's based on how the drivers are physically arranged in the housing), which takes some getting used to. Sound is more towards "hi-fi" (the HFI line targets that), but will cover a wide frequency range. Last I knew pricing was around $160-$180. There is a higher-cost "pro" version (PRO2900) which do improve pretty much on all aspects, but they cost more like $550.

- Grado SR series (aka Grado Prestige series); SR-60 through SR-225 fit into your budget and would all be good choices. All made in the US, and all have good service/support behind them. They're open-back and quasi-on-ear (depends on how big your ears/head is); some folks have complaints about comfort and isolation, others don't. Make sure you go through an authorized dealer or Grado won't support them/you. The Alessandro models are built by Grado and based off of these parts - both sides are pretty mum as to what the real differences are.

- AKG K701 (and its millions of variants). Very comfortable, very light, very spacious sounding headphone. Relatively flat (not the bassiest thing ever though), somewhat insensitive (needs more power than the average headphone, but nothing outrageous - we're talking 1-2 mW vs .1-.5 mW). The original 701 was made in Austria, I'm not sure about all the variants (check whichever variant you end up picking - the biggest differences are the color and if Quincy Jones is hawking them).

That's the whatever half-dozen that come to mind off hand; there's certainly others I may think of, and feel free to ask about whatever model/spec/etc comes to mind (there's a reasonable chance I own, have owned, or have spent time with it - as long as it isn't a "trendy" model).

Oh, on the "cables must be detachable and replacable" - those things aren't mutually inclusive. For example many Audio-Technica headphones do not have removable cables, but AT will sell you a complete replacement harness that you can install yourself (or pay a bit to have ATUS Support install). Same is true of Koss and Grado - although in both cases it has to go back to the manufacturer (Koss doesn't charge, period; Grado I think charges for parts if its out of warranty). Also keep in mind that for most headphones with removable cables, they use a proprietary connector (which in some cases is a point of failure in and of itself (looking at Sennheiser on this one)), and the replacement cables are usually silly expensive ($50-$100; yes even on a part that costs $50-$100) because they're only available from the manufacturer.

Reply 2 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

What Sennheiser model do you have?

An old HD 477 pair I bought in 2005... maybe 2006... forget exactly when, though the cable's less than a couple years old as I had to replace it at one point.

obobskivich wrote:

I ask because the higher-end ones (if its from the 565/580/600/650 family specifically) can have their drivers (and basically everything else) replaced for less than the price of replacing the headphones.

From what I understand, the headphones I presently have can only have their cable and cushions replaced. I could be wrong.

obobskivich wrote:

As far as Sennheiser manufacturing country of origin - as far as I am aware, the 580/600/650 family is still coming from Ireland, the silly expensive models are German made, and the "consumer" stuff like HD 280, 555, etc have been made in China for some time, as are the newer models. I'd be very cautious if you go after the 5x5 or 5x8 series, as many users report cracks in the plastic from use over time (such a great feature in a $150+ product, isn't it? the more expensive models (even the HD 650) can actually have this problem too - they're all plastic after all). Personally I've never liked the sound quality that much to bother with them.

I suppose I could always just ask them directly about which products are manufactured where... :B

obobskivich wrote:

feel free to ask any questions you've got

OK, here's a good one for you: Which brand in general would you recommend for someone who can hear VERY far into the low-frequency range but tops out around the same high-frequency range most other people do? Basically, the better the low-frequency response, the better the overall sound will be for me.

My previous headphones were Koss actually, and only mildly cheaper than the ones I presently have, yet they only lasted four years.

obobskivich wrote:

Oh, on the "cables must be detachable and replacable" - those things aren't mutually inclusive.

Which is why I mentioned BOTH of them. My current headphones have a detachable cable and replacements run $12ish. (A little more direct from Sennheiser, but not ridiculously high. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 3 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

What Sennheiser model do you have?

An old HD 477 pair I bought in 2005... maybe 2006... forget exactly when, though the cable's less than a couple years old as I had to replace it at one point.

I don't think the 400 series have replacable drivers. Quick web search and it seems like cable and cushions is what you get. Shame.

I suppose I could always just ask them directly about which products are manufactured where... :B

Probably mostly China if you're talking individual parts country of origin... 😒

OK, here's a good one for you: Which brand in general would you recommend for someone who can hear VERY far into the low-frequency range but tops out around the same high-frequency range most other people do? Basically, the better the low-frequency response, the better the overall sound will be for me.

Quick answer? Ultrasone.

With a few exceptions (like Ultrasone and Grado), most manufacturers have pretty large variations between products or product lines (to the point that in some cases the stuff could pass as being from different makers), so it's hard to establish a quick-n-fast rule. There are models with good bass extension (and/or impact) from most of the better manufacturers. The HFI-2400 sounds like a very good match to what you've described though. Another model that comes to mind would be the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9.

My previous headphones were Koss actually, and only mildly cheaper than the ones I presently have, yet they only lasted four years.

If they were built after something like 1985, they should fit under the warranty if you still have them. 😊

Reply 4 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

Quick answer? Ultrasone.

With a few exceptions (like Ultrasone and Grado), most manufacturers have pretty large variations between products or product lines (to the point that in some cases the stuff could pass as being from different makers), so it's hard to establish a quick-n-fast rule. There are models with good bass extension (and/or impact) from most of the better manufacturers. The HFI-2400 sounds like a very good match to what you've described though. Another model that comes to mind would be the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9.

The HFI-2400 is a bit out of my price range. $200 really is my maximum limit at present and if I can spend less and still get decent headphones, I will, but I also know that dropping under the $100 mark will likely (though not assuredly) result in low-end stuff, so I'm trying to stick to the $100 to $200 range.

The ATH-ESW9 on the other hand doesn't look to have fabric padding. This is important because...

obobskivich wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

If they were built after something like 1985, they should fit under the warranty if you still have them. :blush:

After only a few months, the outer coating of the foam on these headphones started cracking and peeling off. The pieces were super-thin and hard to get off once they landed on anything, including skin. I've had this problem with EVERYTHING that uses this kind of coated foam, not just headphones, so I make it a point to avoid it like the plague. Plus, TBH, I don't find it very comfortable because it doesn't breathe like fabric does, making the part of my head that the headphones are resting on VERY sweaty and icky-feeling. x_x;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 5 of 19, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On this topic, what would you recommend for someone looking for noise cancellation, a relatively "flat" frequency response, and a replaceable cable? I basically want a pair of comfortable, durable headphones that can block out external noise and play music without adding too much "color" to the sound.

Reply 7 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I spent close to 45 minutes writing a multi-page reply to both gemini and bigmouth, and what do you know; the forum software devoured it.I think I'm going to cry... 😅

Anyways, the condensed version:

Gemini000 wrote:

The HFI-2400 is a bit out of my price range. $200 really is my maximum limit at present and if I can spend less and still get decent headphones, I will, but I also know that dropping under the $100 mark will likely (though not assuredly) result in low-end stuff, so I'm trying to stick to the $100 to $200 range.

Sorry about that. Looks like the price has been jacked way up recently; I remember snagging a pair a few years ago (maybe 2?) for around $160.

The ATH-ESW9 on the other hand doesn't look to have fabric padding.

ESW9 has genuine leather pads, like most of AT's high end models (and most high end Japanese headphones in general - the ones that don't use genuine leather use a synthetic of some sort (like Clarino, Escaine, protein leather, etc). It will not exhibit the flaking or disintegration of "thin vinyl" pads as you've observed, because it isn't remotely the same material. As far as I'm aware the "thin vinyl" pads only exist on certain Koss models, and the older AT ART series (which are no longer sold; I'm also not counting like $10 throw-away headphones here). Koss replacement pads are universally $5* (not that you should have to replace them every four months!). I have two Koss headphones that use the "thin vinyl" padding - one of them has never exhibited problems, one of them has had the pads replaced once (I knicked the first set and they started to come apart fairly quickly thereafter), and the replacements have never exhibited problems. YMMV.

* Link: www.koss.com/en/products/accessories#/? ... d4110b35a0

The Koss models I mentioned use the Pnuemalite pads, which are very durable vinyl (there are some examples from the late 1960s that are still in fine shape). They won't breathe as well as leather or high quality synthetic leather will, but they won't flake apart.

As far as why this stuff is fairly common on headphones: sealing. In general to get good bass impact and noise isolation the headphone has to seal to the head very well, and closed pads are a good way to accomplish this. The Ultrasone HFI-2400 and PRO2900 violate that rule (more or less), hence the suggestion. Of course they had to go and run the price up though.... 😵

There are plenty of headphones that have nice fabric/foam pads and will breathe very well, they're also usually open models, and generally you won't get tons of bass impact (that doesn't mean bad bass, it just means the bass won't bowl you over). The Grado SR series are a fantastic example of this. The overall sound quality is very good top to bottom, but don't expect sub-woofer like bass from them.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

On this topic, what would you recommend for someone looking for noise cancellation, a relatively "flat" frequency response, and a replaceable cable? I basically want a pair of comfortable, durable headphones that can block out external noise and play music without adding too much "color" to the sound.

Do you mean active noise cancellation or just passive isolation?

If active noise cancellation - Bose. (If you want to know why/what, ask - but I don't feel up to retyping the 3 paragraphs at this moment; sorry 😢).

If passive isolation - any studio monitor should do nicely.

Active noise cancellation will only benefit you if you're trying to block out a constant noise, ilke the sound of an air-conditioner. If you're trying to block out something spurious, like a screaming child, it won't do much for you that a good passive set will accomplish.

Reply 8 of 19, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Philips SHP5401. Looks and feels really cheap, although it's quite comfortable to wear for several hours on end. But if you care most about sound quality, this is the best €20 you'll ever spend.

Reply 9 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

I used to have a pair of Senheiser HD 477. SO those were pretty damn good too.

That's what I've got right now. :B

They lasted so well I'm considering just sourcing a NIB pair from eBay or something... though I'm a bit worried about getting a knockoff if I try something like that. >_>;

obobskivich wrote:

I spent close to 45 minutes writing a multi-page reply to both gemini and bigmouth, and what do you know; the forum software devoured it.I think I'm going to cry...

Whenever I spend more than 15 minutes writing a reply, I open up a separate tab for the forum and keep it refreshed every few minutes to keep my login active. And then, for further protection, before hitting the "Submit" or "Preview" buttons, I select the entire thing and copy it to the clipboard. :B

obobskivich wrote:

ESW9 has genuine leather pads

Well, that's not AS bad as foam, but leather has the same effect on my skin where it just doesn't breathe properly, making the parts its in contact with very sweaty and icky feeling. I blame the fact that my body's a furnace and produces massive amounts of heat compared to the average person. :P

It's really gotta be some sort of fabric or they just won't be that comfortable. :/

obobskivich wrote:

As far as why this stuff is fairly common on headphones: sealing. In general to get good bass impact and noise isolation the headphone has to seal to the head very well, and closed pads are a good way to accomplish this.

From what I understand, sealing is more to block out outside noise than improve the audio quality, which is another reason why I don't want these kinds of muffs. I want to be able to hear the real world around me in case something happens and I need to react to it. :B

EDIT: What about these?
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/sennhe … 4f094d840a1en02

The price is in my range, it's available at a local store so I can just pick them up, they have fabric pads, a stronger frequency range than the headphones I currently have, the model number ends in "9", they weigh more than my current headphones so they may be built better or have stronger sound-producing components... the only thing I find curious is "sound isolating" and I don't understand what that means, believe it or not. It's not a term I've ever paid attention to.

...I also noticed these headphones are even cheaper online and Future Shop does indeed price match... got my G110 gaming Keyboard for just under $60 before taxes because of that when they were selling them for nearly $100. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 10 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

From what I understand, sealing is more to block out outside noise than improve the audio quality, which is another reason why I don't want these kinds of muffs. I want to be able to hear the real world around me in case something happens and I need to react to it. :B

Sealing will heavily influence bass quantity and quality on closed headphones, with a good seal being very important to low-frequency performance. Here's the first example I could think of, that I can also find measurement data for:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT48.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/Beyerdyna … icDT48Loose.pdf

Open headphones are more sensitive to positioning (Are they forward/backward or up/down on your head, how are they sized, etc), because they don't "seal" in the same way. I'm not saying you gotta get leather/pleather/whatever (if you don't want it, don't buy it), just explaining why it's quite common, and why wanting a bassy headphone without it may be kind of a pain to find. 😊

EDIT: What about these?
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/sennhe … 4f094d840a1en02

The price is in my range, it's available at a local store so I can just pick them up, they have fabric pads, a stronger frequency range than the headphones I currently have, the model number ends in "9", they weigh more than my current headphones so they may be built better or have stronger sound-producing components... the only thing I find curious is "sound isolating" and I don't understand what that means, believe it or not. It's not a term I've ever paid attention to.

Unfortunately, haven't heard that model. Some "generic" information:
Stated frequency response range for a headphone is usually a worthless value from the manufacturer; sadly you can't trust it for much. What does ending in "9" have to do with anything? And what does weighing more have to do with anything? Found some measurements for them, but not what you currently have (and even if you track down measurements for what you currently have, you'd have to find the HD 439 measured in the same way by the same folks to compare them):
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD439.pdf

Looks like they'll lean towards a bassier presentation with a treble roll-off. They might be the ticket for what you want; the "rub" is that they aren't openback. The "sound isolation" references them being closed, and blocking out external noise (you can see it in the measurements too - the top right graph). The ad also says they're on-ear, not over-ear, if that's a concern (they look like they're too big to be conventional on-ear headphones, but might be small by "full size" standards).

If you need to hear everything going on around you, Grado (especially) and AKG open-back models would be a good choice. Sennheiser has the HD 5x8 series (558 is probably what will fit within your price range - last time I saw a pair in a store they were around $170), which are not bad sounding, but they are not bass-heavy (they're more towards the "flat and dry" kind of presentation), and they do have the headband cracking concern (it's mostly cosmetic, but I think it's kind of annoying on something so expensive).

At the moment I can't think of any other current production models with fabric pads that are also open-back and high quality. If something else comes to mind I'll edit or reply.

Reply 11 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

What does ending in "9" have to do with anything?

obobskivich wrote:

I'd be very cautious if you go after the 5x5 or 5x8 series

I was referring to that. :P

obobskivich wrote:

Open headphones are more sensitive to positioning (Are they forward/backward or up/down on your head, how are they sized, etc), because they don't "seal" in the same way. I'm not saying you gotta get leather/pleather/whatever (if you don't want it, don't buy it), just explaining why it's quite common, and why wanting a bassy headphone without it may be kind of a pain to find.

Personally, so long as I'm getting the same or better audio quality than what I've currently got (and don't have to buy another pair for another 7 or 8 years) I'm happy. :B

obobskivich wrote:

Stated frequency response range for a headphone is usually a worthless value from the manufacturer; sadly you can't trust it for much.

Probably not, similar to the infamous "Contrast Ratio" when it comes to modern Plasma/LCD/LED displays, but the specs of the HD 439 are better in every way than the specs for the HD 477, and since it's coming from the same manufacturer doesn't it stand to reason that the audio quality should be better based on that? :B

Also, every website I've gone to with reviews of both unanimously show the HD 439 to be better than the HD 477. ;)

obobskivich wrote:

And what does weighing more have to do with anything?

*shrugs* I thought maybe weight would be relative to the quality of the materials? ...maybe not? Eh heh... ^_^;

...yeah... I guess weight probably isn't a good factor now that I think about it. I mean, headphones can be built completely differently inside in terms of how the sound is actually produced, which in and of itself is not a measure of quality. :P

obobskivich wrote:

The ad also says they're on-ear, not over-ear, if that's a concern (they look like they're too big to be conventional on-ear headphones, but might be small by "full size" standards).

Possible... but not likely. Not only have I sourced a couple pictures online of people wearing them (and they definitely go over the ears, not on them), but Sennheiser's website doesn't call these headphones "On-Ear", yet they do appropriately indicate which ones are like that, so I imagine Future Shop just screwed up as they occasionally do with product titles. :P

It's looking like the HD 439 is probably my best option to go with, unless there's any other possibilities?

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 12 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

What does ending in "9" have to do with anything?

obobskivich wrote:

I'd be very cautious if you go after the 5x5 or 5x8 series

I was referring to that. 😜

Oh. What I meant was specifically the headphones that started out as the 515/555/595 - they tweaked them into 518/558/598 (which got a hideous new paint job) a few years ago. But despite that, they didn't fix the headband cracking. The HD 580/600/650 can also experience the problem, despite supposedly being made from carbon fiber. I would assume there are models that can experience this as well - I think the "cause" is that Sennheiser tends to form a single piece of plastic to cover the entire headband, and it puts a lot of stress on said plastic. Most other manufacturers have segmented headbands to address the issue (or the entire headband is metal, which can deal with the stress).

Personally, so long as I'm getting the same or better audio quality than what I've currently got (and don't have to buy another pair for another 7 or 8 years) I'm happy. :B

Probably not, similar to the infamous "Contrast Ratio" when it comes to modern Plasma/LCD/LED displays, but the specs of the HD 439 are better in every way than the specs for the HD 477, and since it's coming from the same manufacturer doesn't it stand to reason that the audio quality should be better based on that? :B

I've seen a few TVs advertising Infinity:1. 😒

As far as the specs go - not really. Usually what I've seen manufacturers try to do with specs is position products within a single line-up, not across every product they've ever made. If reviews are saying the 439 are an improvement though, I'd say give it a shot as long as you can return them.

*shrugs* I thought maybe weight would be relative to the quality of the materials? ...maybe not? Eh heh... 😅

Not usually. In the "ideal headphone" the drivers use neodymium magnets, which aren't very heavy, and the rest of the enclosure is built from something fairly stable like plastic, wood, etc which shouldn't weigh that much. In some cases, a manufacturer's top-end model weighs less than the entry level models (Grado is an example - the RS series headphones (which are a step up from the SR series) are among the lightest they've ever made; Audio-Technica and Sony tend to use magnesium on their top models, which is very light). Very heavy models usually indicate a use of steel or lots of aluminum in the construction, and potentially ceramic magnets. The Koss PRO4/AA is an example of this (spring steel headband, steel frame components, pretty sure still uses ceramic magnets too) - however in its defense, the design predates the personal computer, and it still sounds very good and holds its own against modern headphones costing multiple times as much. Doesn't change the fact that it weighs a whole lot.

Possible... but not likely. Not only have I sourced a couple pictures online of people wearing them (and they definitely go over the ears, not on them), but Sennheiser's website doesn't call these headphones "On-Ear", yet they do appropriately indicate which ones are like that, so I imagine Future Shop just screwed up as they occasionally do with product titles. 😜

Gotcha. Was kind of thinking the same thing after looking up pictures, but you never know - sometimes pictures can be very misleading. As far as the best option, the HD 439 sound like they're worth a try (and it sounds like you're interested in them too - which is a very good thing IME; my philosophy with headphones is kind of "if you don't love it in the store, you won't wear it on the street" - don't buy something on the grounds of trying to force yourself to like it, buy something that jumps out at you).

I had originally wanted to also suggest the M-Audio Q40 to you, because I remember those having fabric pads, a removable cable, and being fairly comfortable; but when I went to the M-Audio website to look for them, they were seemingly nowhere to be found, and the page I eventually did find showed vinyl pads. No idea what happened there. 😢

And I'd also add that if you have possibility now or in the future to try out the HFI-2400, I'd go for it. I'm not sure I'd part with $300+ for them, but they're very good overall (the difference from the HFI-2400 to the "silly expensive" models is a lot less than I think a lot of folks would like to admit), and sound like they'd meet your requirements to a T. But again, $300+ is a little much... 😒

Reply 13 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I ever shell out over $200 for a pair of headphones, it will be because I have more money than I know what to do with. XD

Though I'm of the opinion that every purchase of something expensive that you don't often need to make should improve upon the previous. I went from $20 headphones (VERY poor quality), to $60 (not bad, not great), to $80 (good enough), to where I am now at $100 (very good). The only headphones I've ever actually worn that were better in audio quality were a pair of $300 (for the early 80s, adjust for inflation if you desire) Sennheiser headphones my mother had for a very long time. Last I tried using them when I was still living with her though, the cable had started to crack off from one of the ears. :/

Thus someday a decade or two from now I may indeed end up getting $200+ headphones. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 14 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree with "every purchase of something expensive that you don't often need to make should improve upon the previous" very much. IMHO the more expensive pairs of headphones aren't that much about fulfilling a functional need; functionality/performance pretty much plateaus at the $100-$200 mark. That isn't to say the majorly "high end" stuff isn't "better" in some ways, but it isn't 5-10-20x better by any means.

Hopefully the 439 work out for you, and I'm curious to hear about them once you get them in. 😀

Reply 15 of 19, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have had Beyerdynamic DT-331 in use for like 15 years, I love the open design so I can still hear the outside world compared to the disturbed feeling you get when wearing earmuffs.
Only now the foam has lost its strength so it starts to hurt to wear them. I think it is still possible to buy replacement parts, and I have started to look for comparable open headphones from Beyerdynamics, AKG, Sennheiser and such, but have not yet decided as I am not in a hurry, the current ones are still usable for short periods.

Reply 16 of 19, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
Do you mean active noise cancellation or just passive isolation? […]
Show full quote
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Do you mean active noise cancellation or just passive isolation?

If active noise cancellation - Bose. (If you want to know why/what, ask - but I don't feel up to retyping the 3 paragraphs at this moment; sorry 😢).

If passive isolation - any studio monitor should do nicely.

Active noise cancellation will only benefit you if you're trying to block out a constant noise, ilke the sound of an air-conditioner. If you're trying to block out something spurious, like a screaming child, it won't do much for you that a good passive set will accomplish.

Passive isolation is fine. Since you mentioned studio monitors, are there any particular models you recommend?

Reply 17 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Passive isolation is fine. Since you mentioned studio monitors, are there any particular models you recommend?

Koss MV1, DJ100/200, or PRO4/AA. Or M-Audio Q40 (unless they've changed something dramatic, which I feel like they may have). Or Audio-Technica ATH-M50. The Bose TriPort and AE2 are also good, but they aren't exactly studio monitors (treble is a little rolled-off; makes them very easy to listen to, but probably not a great choice for monitoring or tracking).

At a higher price point, the Ultrasone PRO900 and Kenwood KH-K1000 are very good too. The Ultrasone are edgier, more aggressive, and bassier; the Kenwood are more laid-back, smoother, and place some emphasis on the mid-range. The Kenwood are also on the heavy side, but have very good padding; wouldn't suggest them if you're going to move around a lot.

Higher-spec than that in the world of closed headphones usually means woodies, which tend not to isolate as well in my experience. The exception to this would be the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9, however they don't offer a "flat" sound - they do sound very good though.

Reply 18 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I have a new pair of Sennheiser HD 439s...

...and have in the process learned just how deep into the frequency range I'm capable of hearing. The bass is OVERPOWERING, and I'm fairly certain (though not positive) it's because I'm hearing low frequencies my previous headphones couldn't handle. I'm noticing rumbles in my own music that I had no idea were there, while most other tunes still sound mostly the same save for the huge difference between bass and treble.

I went into the equalizer settings for my audio chipset on my computer (which up to now have been disabled entirely) and made some slight adjustments, turning down the lowest frequency by 3 dB and turning up the highest frequency by 4 dB. This has made the headphones sound more like I'm used to. Without these changes, the bass was simply way too strong and it felt like everything else was getting washed out. I know sometimes you have to "break-in" new headphones so to speak, but this is the first time ever where I've put on a brand new pair of headphones and thought, "This is not as good as what I'm used to."

Again though, adjusting the equalizer settings slightly has made them sound on-par with what I previously using... but since what I was previously using was originally 2/3 of the price... at a time when the Canadian Dollar was much lower than the US Dollar... nehhh...

The left side of my HD 477s was getting worse though and was starting to sound slightly distorted. Regardless of anything, I needed to replace them. :/

Though, one thing that I'm extremely impressed with, yet also partly disappointed by, is the passive noise isolation. Despite having fabric padding, it blocks out the world around me by at least 10 dB or so just by having them on, whereas my previous headphones only reduced the ambient noise around me by a couple dB. I don't really mind this that much, I'm just very used to being able to hear the world around me while I have headphones on. *shrugs*

In terms of comfort, they fit perfectly fine, though they're a little tighter than my previous headphones, though comparing the two I'm pretty sure that's just the nature of having brand new headphones and that the plastic will adapt after a few weeks or months or so of wearing them daily. The plastic doesn't feel as soft as my old HD 477s but it doesn't feel completely cheap either.

The bundled cords I'm not too impressed with but I've seen worse. The short cord is only 4 or 5 feet long though so I can't imagine many circumstances where that would be preferable to the 10-foot cord. :P

It also comes bundled with a gold-plated phono adaptor for the larger size... I have three of the blasted things now. XD

Overall, based on the price, I'm not that impressed, but I'm not disappointed either. With the appropriate equalizer tweaking they sound "as good" as my previous pair, but again, part of this might be because of my sensitivity to bass, though that could also be a blessing in disguise since now, I'll be able to identify the parts of my music which are too heavy on really low-frequency rumbles that I wouldn't've picked up on before.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and they're DEFINITELY over-ear, not on-ear, seeing as how the cans really are slightly larger than the HD 477's. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 19 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I've been using my new headphones for a couple days now and I still can't help but feel they don't sound right, even with my initial equalizer tweaks, almost as though the sound has a sort of "metallic" tinge as opposed to sounding natural. So I started experimenting with the equalizer and tweaked every single slider, trying to figure out what it was doing to the sound, to see if I could figure out what was going on.

And that's when I remembered something interesting: My previous headphones were the Sennheiser HD 477s, which have often been criticized for having weak mid-range sounds. I thought everyone claiming that was full of it since they sounded so perfect to me up to now. Then I thought back to when I used to play music in WinAmp before I got my HD 477s and had adjusted its equalizer settings to my own taste, which thinking back to it, included dipping the mid-range down slightly.

So, I set up my equalizer settings to be reminiscent of my very old WinAmp setting: a pattern kinda shaped like the tilde character on the computer keyboard, with the initial bass point at -2 dB and the low part of the dip being -3 dB at 1 KHz, with the high points at 0 dB and +3 dB at the very end of the spectrum...

...and now my headphones sound pretty much exactly like what I'm used to! (Much more so than when I previously said that.)

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that for some very bizarre reason, mid-range frequencies around 1 KHz feel unnatural to me. The bass on the headphones is still ridiculous either way, otherwise I wouldn't've adjusted it too. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)