Common searches

The stupidity of the moon hoax theory

Topic actions

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is quite astonishing that more than 40 years ago one of the biggest achivements in human history was made. It was definitely the achievement of one nation that was only possible because the technology that made it possible was what people were thriving to excel at that time, fueled by a competition, a cold war led by two nations who tried to overtake each other.

I believe that today most people don't care if mankind went to the moon, walked there, brought rock and lunar rigolith samples back on their return trip. And that's pretty OK.

What bothers me about this subject is that some people go against their own rational minds, drive themselves into the realm of magic by hipothesyzing certain features and events of the missions. And for what? For the comfort and praise of being rebels?

Not only this, but what allows the controversy is that when conspiracy theorists people try to convince the average Joe that it was all a fake not only they have little cientific knowledge of the stuff they are trying to make a point about, they expect we, (the average Joes) don't either.

Some of their points are so stupid and ridiculous that i really feel embarassed for them, among them are:

1. Some of the pictures are impossible, because shadows aren't parallel and that proves it was shot in some studio with secondary light sources
2. The live broacasts were shot in high speed and then slowed to normal speed to give the impression astronauts were in low gravity
3. Stanley Kubrick directed the lunar EVA's
4. The US flag was blowing in the breeze
5. The Van Allen radiation belts would have killed the astronauts
6. The lunar modules made no blast craters
7. One of the moon rocks turned out be be a piece of petrified wood
8. Apollo navigational computers were too slow

There are tons more claims and supposed errors and all of them can be clearly debunked.

Among the people who are conspiracy theorists, some names will definitely stand out.

1. Bill Kaysing:

Apparently this guy worked for Rocketdyne and supposedly this qualifies him to know a lot about rocket technology. I find it funny that in an interview he recalls that a guy he knew arrives from Vietnam where he fought, and asks him that they should get revenge of the corrupt government. He asks Bill: "Why don't you say something outrageous, like we never went to the moon?"

Bill Kaysing is known as the "Grandfather of the Apollo Moon Hoax theory"

2. Ralph René:

Now this guy was a grumpy old bastard, who claimed to be a "self-taught" engineer and recurrengly called real scientists as "gas-bags". Among his "scientific claims":

1. Einstein's theory of relativity was an absurdity
2. Newton's law of universal gravitation
3. The real value of pi is : 3.146264
4. The force that governs movement of planets in the solar system is electro magnetism.

And there is more...

3. Bart Sibrel

This guy is just incredibly dumb and stupid, amongst his work is the documentary "A funny thing happened on the way to the moon".

4. Jarrah White

This proposed "aussie genius" is just a punk kid who blindly follows his psychotic heroes Bill Kaysing and Raplh René, and calls himself " The grandson of the Moon Hoax theory".

He makes 20 min Youtube videos to "debunk" real scientific facts with nothing but innuendo, straw man interpretations and distorted logic.

I have so much to talk about this but for now this is it.

Reply 1 of 98, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

why waste time with tin foil hat theories?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 98, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't creationists have similar views in regards to saying the whole "astronauts on the moon" is a hoax?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 98, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

This.

Sure I find it worrying people consider stuff like this. Not sure they are trolling or not but in the end I'd rather spend my time in a more meaningful way 😀
Lets just hope things like this don't get out of control.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 98, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

It can be quite educational to spend some time understanding why certain things don't seem to make sense, while in truth that's how things work afterall.

Plus i would not put the moon hoax theory into the category of tin foil hat theories, i can understand perfectly some people can have doubts about whether some guys landed on the moon or not. The main point is the stupidity of people who explore people's doubts and even try to lead them in order to help their cause, which ultimately can reveal itself to be nothing but personal glory, pride and even profit. I believe people like Bart Sibrel or Jarrah White fall into this category. In the mean time they proclaim to be in search of the truth.

Some of the tin foil hat theories can be really wacky though...

Reply 5 of 98, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Don't creationists have similar views in regards to saying the whole "astronauts on the moon" is a hoax?

I have no idea about creationists, but surely any scientific achievement that in any way raises doubt about creationism won't be accepted by them.

Reply 6 of 98, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do not worry, astronauts know how to deal with morons 🤣 .

Now the AGC, that's a retrocomp! 😀 You can play with it (virtually) here: http://svtsim.com/moonjs/agc.html

Let the air flow!

Reply 7 of 98, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TELVM wrote:

One of my favorite space-related videos of all time! 🤣

---

I have met one or two hoax believers in my life and where I tend to catch them up is in the history of the US space program. Because they tend not to know it.

Because why should you arbitrarily draw the line at landing on the moon?

Apollo 8 orbited the moon. Apollo 9 stayed in Earth orbit. Apollo 10 orbited the moon and included undocking procedures but never landed - it was basically a "dry run". After Apollo 11, there were five other landings (Apollo 12, 14, 15, 16, 17). Apollo 13 (as we know) ended up only orbiting instead of landing. The last manned moon mission was Apollo 17. All in all, 24 astronauts visited the moon, with twelve actually walking on it. Apollo 1 was a tragic disaster, killing its crew on the launchpad. Apollo 2 through 7, and many other test launches/flights, were all unmanned.

The whole of the Apollo program was designed with lunar landings in mind. It wasn't a sure thing until perhaps the first year of its operation, but its goals were definitely clarified by mid-1961.

Prototypes of the Lunar module were created, and tested in space, several times before sending them to the moon. If Apollo 11 was faked, then were these faked as well?

The scale of the coverup would have to be immense. Thousands of men and women worked for NASA and its contractors to make the rockets, modules, etc. Two new space centers and all associated systems and hardware were built. At its peak, the Apollo program employed 400,000 people and involved over 20,000 businesses, colleges, and universities. I can't even begin to imagine the billions of dollars wasted, the billions that a coverup would cost.

Maybe it's my fault for not knowing what hoaxers believe because they seem to all believe different stories. Are you telling me NASA flew out, orbited the moon, but never landed? Or did NASA shoot up a manned rocket, and then they just orbited Earth a few times, and then splashed down? Or did NASA never launch the rocket, and was that too Hollywood special effects?

If you believe that it was faked, then where do you stop? A few other manned moon landings were scratched due to budgetary concerns, but in 1973 NASA repurposed Apollo hardware for Skylab, the first American space station orbiting Earth. And then the first shuttles in 1981? What about before, with NASA's Project Gemini (2-man space capsules) also faked? What about NASA's Project Mercury? The Russians? The past and future history of human spaceflight?

Hoaxers tend to be extremely ill-educated about history.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 98, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just for the sake of argument explain then, why in all the moon walk footage you can't see any stars in the sky? The moon has no atmosphere to interfere with the transmission of starlight, so the stars should be even more clearly visible than they are here on Earth so where are they?

Reply 9 of 98, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Just for the sake of argument explain then, why in all the moon walk footage you can't see any stars in the sky? The moon has no atmosphere to interfere with the transmission of starlight, so the stars should be even more clearly visible than they are here on Earth so where are they?

dude the lunar eva's were early morning on the moon, the sun is very very bright and the lunar rigolith is very reflective. Not to mention that astronauts had the darkest sunglasses in the world. The camera exposure was set to daylight and if it was set to see the stars you would see nothing but light ln yhe ground.

Reply 10 of 98, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:
sliderider wrote:

dude the lunar eva's were early morning on the moon, the sun is very very bright and the lunar rigolith is very reflective. Not to mention that astronauts had the darkest sunglasses in the world. The camera exposure was set to daylight and if it was set to see the stars you would see nothing but light ln yhe ground.

What carlostex said. Wikipedia (for all that you can trust it) has a lightweight debunk of "stars should be visible" in #4 here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing_co … d_film_oddities

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 98, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mythbusters debunked all these except maybe the Van Allen Belt one.
I don't know the explanation for that but I'm sure it is something logical.
Maybe they sent them during a period of weak radiation or had extra shielding
or both. Or maybe there is some other explanation. What gets me is nothing would
ever be good enough for these jokers, you could actually land them on the
damn moon and they'd claim it was virtual reality or hypnotism.

Reply 12 of 98, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

Now the AGC, that's a retrocomp! 😀 You can play with it (virtually) here: http://svtsim.com/moonjs/agc.html

That punch was well deserved. Bart Sibrel was an idiot, frequently ambushed astronauts using dirty tactics to make them believe they were going to an interview. Plus, his knowledge of astrophysics and photography is not higher than a 3 year old.

Reply 13 of 98, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
snorg wrote:
Mythbusters debunked all these except maybe the Van Allen Belt one. I don't know the explanation for that but I'm sure it is som […]
Show full quote

or both. Or maybe there is some other explanation. What gets me is nothing would

Mythbusters did experiment and debunk some stuff and then enters some aussie punk kid named Jarrah White who calls himself "the grandson of the moon hoax conspiracy theory". This kid is freakin' obnoxious, developed a habit of filing DMCA attacks against people who released videos debunking him and his arguments are based in pure speculation, probability and in what if scenarios... He himself claims to have debunked and "bust" the mythbusters.

About the Van Allen belts:

NASA was well aware of the radiation belts. The radiation exposure of the astronauts when they crossed the belts was very low, not only they avoided the more intense radiation areas they were also only there for 2 hours or so plus 2 hours more when they returned. That total exposure is less than someone working in a nuclear plant is allowed to received by the health authorities. The main problem was solar flares, and on that NASA kinda had to "roll the dice" and make a best guess about when should be the right time to send guys to the moon. That's why smart people work in NASA. Like what Stiletto said, the scale of this project was simply too big, and some of the best nerds of the world at that time worked on the Apollo project.

People don't seem to understand that it was actually easier to go to the moon and back than faking the whole thing.

Reply 14 of 98, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's what pisses me off about this kind of thing, along with the ancient aliens
folks, they completely dismiss human ingenuity.

What is more likely, to me, than aliens building the pyramids or other
ancient monuments that they can't explain using stone-age technology,
is that we aren't the first high-tech human civilization on the planet.
Although I'd think if that were the case, we'd find more ruins or something,
but thousand foot high glaciers would have a pretty good chance at wiping
most evidence away, except for these megalithic structures that are at or
near the equator.

Reply 15 of 98, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:
Mythbusters did experiment and debunk some stuff and then enters some aussie punk kid named Jarrah White who calls himself "the […]
Show full quote
snorg wrote:
Mythbusters debunked all these except maybe the Van Allen Belt one. I don't know the explanation for that but I'm sure it is som […]
Show full quote

Mythbusters did experiment and debunk some stuff and then enters some aussie punk kid named Jarrah White who calls himself "the grandson of the moon hoax conspiracy theory". This kid is freakin' obnoxious, developed a habit of filing DMCA attacks against people who released videos debunking him and his arguments are based in pure speculation, probability and in what if scenarios... He himself claims to have debunked and "bust" the mythbusters.

About the Van Allen belts:

NASA was well aware of the radiation belts. The radiation exposure of the astronauts when they crossed the belts was very low, not only they avoided the more intense radiation areas they were also only there for 2 hours or so plus 2 hours more when they returned. That total exposure is less than someone working in a nuclear plant is allowed to received by the health authorities. The main problem was solar flares, and on that NASA kinda had to "roll the dice" and make a best guess about when should be the right time to send guys to the moon. That's why smart people work in NASA. Like what Stiletto said, the scale of this project was simply too big, and some of the best nerds of the world at that time worked on the Apollo project.

People don't seem to understand that it was actually easier to go to the moon and back than faking the whole thing.

Really? Easier than getting a few people in spacesuits together on a soundstage in front of a black backdrop? The Flash Gordon films of the 1930's were more technically complex than the moon walk footage.

Reply 16 of 98, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Really? Easier than getting a few people in spacesuits together on a soundstage in front of a black backdrop? The Flash Gordon films of the 1930's were more technically complex than the moon walk footage.

Yes really!!! Why is it so hard to believe? How the heck were they gonna simulate vacuum and 1/6th gravity at the same time in a soundstage? Did Kubrick achieve that? Have people take a look how dust behaves when astronauts kick it in the air? And why do the flags only move when astronauts touch them? And why when they move they look nothing like on earth? You need a vacuum for that. And how would they make the astronauts look they were on 1/6th gravity? Shoot them on wires and use high speed cameras? Were high speed cameras available for NASA to use them in 1969?

The Flash Gordon movies from 1930 were more technically complex? Come on, let's be reasonable. How does 2001 look then? Watch the moon shots on 2001 and then watch the lunar EVA's and tell me what is real and what is not.

EDIT: I just remembered something. One can complain that the Apollo EVA videos look crappy, but how were they supposed to take normal cameras to the moon that were to large, heavy and cumbersome just to film in better quality and then expect them to work? Landing on the moon was a big thing, technology had to be adapted for stuff to work properly on the moon.

Reply 17 of 98, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

... explain then, why in all the moon walk footage you can't see any stars in the sky? ...

Look, the ISS is a hoax too!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

image-of-iss.jpg

At least good ole Earth looks great in the moon pics 😀 :

image-of-Gene-Cernan-with-earth.jpg

earthrise_strip.jpg

Let the air flow!

Reply 18 of 98, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those pics look great. Look how sticky the lunar regolith was, a lot of dust is in the spacesuits. On the moon dust particles are not weathered so they adhere to one another. That's how footprints were so clear and defined. And the lunar dust is dry, very dry.