VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In 2002 I got a shiny Celeron 1700 with Radeon 8500 graphics and stepped into a brave new world of computing. Since then many parts of my main PC have been replaced. I had 3 different CPUs, 2 motherboards, 5 videocards, mice and keyboards well beyond count. However, there was one part of my system that never changed - Sven SPS-600 speakers. They were the best 2.0 speakers I have seen plugged into a PC. 2x20W, wooden case, extra 3.5 inch in/out jack, Volume, Bass and Treble control, "3D" function (no idea what it does, the sound does not seem any more 3D at all, only muffled). They served me for 12 full years, and not long ago I have started to notice a faint wheeze coming from the left channel on medium volume whenever anything bass-intensive was on. Sometimes it disappeared, but I knew I would kill the speakers if I don't stop using them heavily.

I walked around PC shops looking for a replacement, but none seemed right. I hate to buy new stuff that is redundant compared to my current hardware. Later I found a used pair of Sven SPS-678 from a local seller online. The owner claimed the speakers did not see heavy use and were in good state. I bought them, payed $40, which is a little too much, and went home with a happy smile.

P1020889.JPG
Left: SPS-678. Right: SPS-600.

The testing went well, and, as I opened them up to check for fat/leaking capacitors, I found out they are absolutely identical to my SPS-600! So in case I have more issues, I can always make one set out of two 😀 In fact, I recall that when I got SPS-600, SPS-678 were in a brochure that came with the speakers, and I really liked how they looked like back then.

So, that is it... I feel void inside, as if it was some kind of an end of an era... I'm not that much sure, if I'm happy or sad, perhaps, both.

SPS-600 from now on will serve me as retro machine speakers and finally rest from all kinds of metal I turned on during past years.