VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have a ton of boxed games, maybe 12-15 and most of those from after 2000. I do have boxed copies of X-Wing and Tie Fighter but I can't seem to find the media. Since Lucasarts is defunct, I can no longer get replacement media so I'm a bit bummed about that.

When they went from thick printed cardboard boxes to the thin-walled printed cardboard with the cardboard inserts to give them rigidity, that made it difficult to keep boxes in good shape, since a lot of times it was difficult to get the inserts back in just right. Also there was a plethora of non-standard box sizes and some outright outlandish box types for a while (very large or odd shapes that would not fit well on a shelf).

I wish I still had some of my old boxed games, like the Infocom games (Wishbringer and Hitchhiker's specifically). The pack-ins with the infocom games were cool. I have a boxed collector's edition copy of Ultima 9 but it is only in good/fair condition.

Reply 1 of 32, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hmmm I must have ~180 at this point... here is a link to a gallery I made back in 2012 , due to the crappy economy I only added ~10-15 more that are not pictured... all of them are complete from good to excellent condition , at least I have that 🤣
I haven't photographed and cd-collections/bundles that I own, nothing interesting in a pressed cd in a generic plastic case IMHO

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How many boxed games I have? I don't know because I never counted them and right now they are kinda spread out (some boxes have been under my bed in large boxes for 5 years now), but if I had to make a guess, I would guess around 50 perhaps?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 32, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

hmmm I must have ~180 at this point... here is a link to a gallery I made back in 2012 , due to the crappy economy I only added ~10-15 more that are not pictured... all of them are complete from good to excellent condition , at least I have that 🤣
I haven't photographed and cd-collections/bundles that I own, nothing interesting in a pressed cd in a generic plastic case IMHO

@Keropi->where's the Link? I love to see pics of boxed game collections...don't know why..it just motivates me to get more I guess and I like to see how others have organized them and/or stored them to get ideas for my collection.

I have close to 400 boxed games (I think the actual number is 388) but not all have the documentation, but I also have 2 large boxes of just documentation with no boxes. I havent checked yet if some of the documentation I have will complete my boxed sets yet, but I'm sure some will. Most of my collection consists of the larger old school big box games from my generation. I do have many smaller more moder 'DVD size' boxed games as well, but I will only buy those if they are Sierra or LucasArts games or I will buy others if I can get them for VERY cheap. For example, I just bought a huge lot of about 85 smaller boxed games (which included a bunch of old hardware and other loose CD and DVD games and software) from someone locally for only $40. Most included original documentation, and were in good shape.

My goal is to have all Lucasarts and Sierra boxed games one day. I think I may be about halfway there....it's getting difficult to get these games now though. As I have dicussed in another topic, it's always nice to have the original games in original boxes...I really think one day they are going to be worth a mint...it may take a couple decades, but it will happen for sure...I see them getting more rare every year...it's harder to find because even younger people that haven't even played old dos games are staring to collect them now too to go with all their Pokemon collections 😵 🤣 .....But seriously, it seems like every year it's getting more out of hand..big box games are going for ridiculous prices on eBay and even in some local classifieds (if you can find them). I saw someone selling a boxed copy of Longbow for $60. $60 for Longbow? Seriously? No one in their right mind will pay that unless that is one game that they really want. Don't get me wrong, I love Longbow..great game, but $60 is way too much. I guess that's why it's been 1 year and it is still listed to buy. I just bought a boxed Longbow game a month ago for $4 from a local thrift shop.

I love boxed games and again, as I mentioned in another topic, I've talked to too many people (here on Vogons as well) who have thrown out their old boxes and only kept the CD's and disks and it makes me cringe and almost cry 😢 .

Anyways, I have many boxed games I still have a long wanted list. I am moving into a new place in a few months and one of the requirements I have is space to have large bookshelves to display all my boxed games nicely. I have been collecting with this in mind for a long time now. If I never get the shelf space I want, I would rather stop collecting than have everything lying around unorganized or stored in boxes...here is a couple photos of one of my bookshelves I have filled right now with only a portion of my game collection (I think I posted a smilar photo on another topic).

20140302_122732_resized1.jpg
Filename
20140302_122732_resized1.jpg
File size
113.82 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20140302_122745_resized1.jpg
Filename
20140302_122745_resized1.jpg
File size
141.13 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Most of the rest of my boxed games and software collection is stored away in large 'banana' boxes. My software collection as my hardware collection is still a work-in-progress.

Reply 4 of 32, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh, yeah... forgot the link...
http://s125.photobucket.com/user/restqp/libra … d%20old%20games
maybe I added more, I can't be sure of the exact number as some duplicates and budget versions are no longer in my possession, now that I think of it I did get some lots of 5-6 games each 🤣

awesome collection retrofanatic !

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ow, another language thingy. I thought only the large cardboard boxes were allowed. If I count in my DVD-boxed games (the smaller plastic DVD boxes), then I should be over 100 easy.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 32, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
oh, yeah... forgot the link... http://s125.photobucket.com/user/restqp/libra … d%20old%20games maybe I added more, I can't be su […]
Show full quote

oh, yeah... forgot the link...
http://s125.photobucket.com/user/restqp/libra … d%20old%20games
maybe I added more, I can't be sure of the exact number as some duplicates and budget versions are no longer in my possession, now that I think of it I did get some lots of 5-6 games each 🤣

awesome collection retrofanatic !

Thanks.

Thanks for the link. I see you have some really nice ones in there like some of the Ultima games, Crusader, no remorse, and all the Alone in the Dark series, Lands of Lore, and the Wing Commander series. Awesome.

BTW, I really like the greeek game you have too...<<APODRASI Runway>>...<<the No. 1 Greek game>> 🤣 I wonder what that game is like?

Shagittarius wrote:

I have 663 boxed PC games. I also have some amount of console games which I haven't counted.

Wow, that's a lot of games! Do you have them stored away or do you have photos of them arranged on a shelf by any chance? I would love to see that.

Reply 10 of 32, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote:

I have 663 boxed PC games. I also have some amount of console games which I haven't counted.

Wow, that's a lot of games! Do you have them stored away or do you have photos of them arranged on a shelf by any chance? I would love to see that.[/quote]

Here is a link to the other subject where I posted my collection. This is from back in 2010 so quite a few new games and probably some older ones have been added since then but you can get a general idea of what my collection looks like. I shall have to update the pictures someday.

post up pics of your "computing area"

Reply 11 of 32, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrofanatic wrote:

[...]
BTW, I really like the greeek game you have too...<<APODRASI Runway>>...<<the No. 1 Greek game>> 🤣 I wonder what that game is like?

it's a shoot'em up with a bitchy Starforce protection IIRC 🤣 🤣 🤣 Haven't played it, I believe the copy is sealed as well...
I've only got the games I like and play , aitds, nice rpgs... I am also proud of my Blood 1 stuff, they are minty!

663 pc games... now THAT'S a collection! 😊

Reply 12 of 32, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote:

Here is a link to the other subject where I posted my collection. This is from back in 2010 so quite a few new games and probably some older ones have been added since then but you can get a general idea of what my collection looks like. I shall have to update the pictures someday.

post up pics of your "computing area"

Very nice! I do remember seeing those photos now. You have some rare gems in some of those photos like a sealed copy of LOOM and Day of the Tentacle. I have a ways to go to get to 663, but I am happy with my 400 for now 🤣.

Reply 13 of 32, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right on man, It's gotten to the point with me where everything I want is harder to find and more expensive. It also seems that people are in general trying to get more for boxed games now. I love to go to local stores or estate sales and try to find lost gold. 400 is a nice collection man, keep going =)

It's really sad that for the most part I see boxes going away with digital distribution. I'm sure for there will still be expensive collector's editions for some but I miss the days of going into a store and seeing rows of PC games. Well on the bright side I only see that making collections more valuable.

Reply 14 of 32, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have some boxes here, but i cant count them now. Because they are everywhere now.. If i need to guess, i think i have about 5 - 6 boxes now.. I only buy boxed versions from the games whos made really impact on me..
Other games i just buy them in regular boxes.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 16 of 32, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wish I could say I had more of them, of the games that I owned, but unfortunately I don't. I used to buy tons of paperback books and most of my shelf space went to those. Some of the boxed games I had I sold when I needed money or to get another game, other boxes were damaged (poor storage on my part) but I still have the CD-ROM. Some boxes were in bad shape when purchased. I don't really have an excuse for not saving the Fallout boxes, I do I believe still have my Daggerfall box somewhere (most likely at my parents' place). I think part of the reason I don't have a lot of that stuff is I didn't want the clutter, so I would consolidate things to CD-ROM binders, which saved a ton of space but was not very forward-thinking as far as an eye to the collectibles market.

There are things I am still fortunate to have that I was wise enough to set aside, but I don't know that any of it will be worth anything. I only have it because it was something that I liked, I wasn't buying it as an investment vehicle. It would be nice if it was ever worth enough to cash out and leave the rat race, but I highly doubt it.

I remember seeing one Amazing Stories episode years ago called "Gather Ye Acorns" and as a boy thought "oh neat, all his stuff was worth something and things turned out well after all" but as an adult I see that the character lived a wasted life and the ending is at best bittersweet. Sure, he is rich but he is also an old man.

Reply 17 of 32, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snorg wrote:

I remember seeing one Amazing Stories episode years ago called "Gather Ye Acorns" and as a boy thought "oh neat, all his stuff was worth something and things turned out well after all" but as an adult I see that the character lived a wasted life and the ending is at best bittersweet. Sure, he is rich but he is also an old man.

Very well put.

I really find it funny (and kind of sad) that I will probably be an old man with a garage full of old computer stuff. I am from a much different generation than my parents for sure...I could never picture my dad playing video games even when I was younger, let alone have a collection of old computer and console gaming stuff to pass down to me 🤣.

Reply 18 of 32, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As with most of my stuff, my boxed game collection is embarrassingly small, but the games I do have, I really like.

If I could find a boxed copy of Commander Keen 5, I think I'd be happy if I never bought another boxed game.

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2014-03-03, 05:05. Edited 1 time in total.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 19 of 32, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All my DOS games are from GOG.com. I do have a few discs, especially early Windows games like Incoming, Forsaken, Grand prix or G-Police. But just the discs.

I simply don't have the space to keep boxed versions.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel