VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 22 of 32, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

All my DOS games are from GOG.com. I do have a few discs, especially early Windows games like Incoming, Forsaken, Grand prix or G-Police. But just the discs.

I simply don't have the space to keep boxed versions.

Well at least I'm not the only one 😀
While there are one or two boxed games I'd like to have in my collection, I can't justify the expense or space for a physical boxed game collection.
I do appreciate a nicely shelved game collection, but it isn't something viable for me.

Reply 23 of 32, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have over 200. No pun intended here, but they are all boxed up 😀. I have about 50 or so PC games, 50+ C64/128 games, 100+ Amiga games, and 1 lone Apple II game in their original boxes 😀

Feeding Dragon

Reply 24 of 32, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only have about 10 boxed games right now... although I have a huge collection of the old Sierra titles without the boxes. When you're a kid you don't think about preservation... however I have 6 copies of Black Dahlia (favorite game), 3 are like new in the box with everything, and the other 3 are just the cd's in the original folders. I also just acquired a like new boxed copy of Half Life (the original copy, NOT game of the year), it's in 10/10 condition so this one I'll be keeping golden for as long as can be. It's only taken me 5+ yrs to locate a like new copy of the original half life box.
And yes, I'll buy more boxed copies of Black Dahlia if I come across them 😀

Reply 25 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dave343 wrote:

I only have about 10 boxed games right now... although I have a huge collection of the old Sierra titles without the boxes. When you're a kid you don't think about preservation... however I have 6 copies of Black Dahlia (favorite game), 3 are like new in the box with everything, and the other 3 are just the cd's in the original folders. I also just acquired a like new boxed copy of Half Life (the original copy, NOT game of the year), it's in 10/10 condition so this one I'll be keeping golden for as long as can be. It's only taken me 5+ yrs to locate a like new copy of the original half life box.

Same for me and a couple of my favorite games. Total Annihilation for example I have also around 6 copies and a couple of the expansions as well.
And I also buy several spare copies of games so I have a spare in case the first disk gets damaged, destroyed or lost and some of those games we play in multiplayer (me and a couple friends).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 26 of 32, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
dave343 wrote:

Same for me and a couple of my favorite games. Total Annihilation for example I have also around 6 copies and a couple of the expansions as well.
And I also buy several spare copies of games so I have a spare in case the first disk gets damaged, destroyed or lost and some of those games we play in multiplayer (me and a couple friends).

My thing is I need to ensure I have enough copies so at least one can be left after a nuclear fallout 🤣 truthfully though, BD is one of the best games IMO, and I guess I've been hoarding copies because I'd like to play it when I'm 80 again, show the grand kids the kick@ss games we had, and in case 1 cd doesn't work, I'll have a few other copies. 😀

Reply 27 of 32, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only have eight or so boxed games. I haven't been bitten by this particular bug yet.

I guess I'm less a collector at this point and more just an enthusiast trapped in the wrong decade. I buy things because I want to use them, not because I want to preserve them or because I think they'll be worth something someday. My CDs live in CD wallets, not boxes 😁

That said, I could see myself buying boxed copies of a few favorite games, just for the fun of it. (The Need for Speed series and Age of Empires series come to mind.)

PCGames9505

Reply 28 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maximus wrote:

I only have eight or so boxed games. I haven't been bitten by this particular bug yet.

I guess I'm less a collector at this point and more just an enthusiast trapped in the wrong decade. I buy things because I want to use them, not because I want to preserve them or because I think they'll be worth something someday. My CDs live in CD wallets, not boxes 😁

That said, I could see myself buying boxed copies of a few favorite games, just for the fun of it. (The Need for Speed series and Age of Empires series come to mind.)

I was never really a collector of games actually. I simply bought every game from the budgetbucket that I found interesting in some way and 15 years later, I got lots of them 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 29 of 32, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

I was never really a collector of games actually. I simply bought every game from the budgetbucket that I found interesting in some way and 15 years later, I got lots of them 😜

Ah, I remember the days of the bargain bin... brand-new games in jewel cases for $5 a pop. I found some awesome stuff that way.

PCGames9505

Reply 30 of 32, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

..and full boxed versions too. Maybe a bit shelf-worn but complete. I picked up loads of DOS/early Win era games that way, probably the majority of my store purchases. At it's height you were guaranteed to find lots of things on sale or tossed in the "bargain bin" as sellers made way for new stock. Now it's hard to even find a PC game on the shelf...

Reply 31 of 32, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have a ton of games, either. I've been focused on hardware acquisitions for the most part. If I had unlimited funds, I'd do both but I don't. I've been trying to get more games and letting more hardware go to someone else but it's hard to pass up an item that is undervalued. I always kick myself later when I miss out on a good deal.

I did manage to pick up complete-in-box copies of Wing Commander and Strike Commander recently. I don't mean the bundle pack they released later, I mean the original releases in separate boxes. The seller only wanted $20 for the pair, so I grabbed them.