VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not many are willing to let go off Windows XP completely after the D-Day for XP in April this year. Partly because it's one good, functional all-rounder that is still serving it's purpose, and partly because some small business establishments are unable to upgrade due to the cost in getting a new OS and/or new machines.

Most of us already have newer OS - Win7 or Win8 (some have both) running in our other machines or running alongside XP in the same machine.

The main worry of the general XP users is the cessation of XP's official security patch by Microsoft, and Microsoft is washing off it's hands of XP (except of course, XP's copyright). I did read about some expensive custom support and patches for enterprises somewhere. No sure though, but for the mainstream home users, this will not be feasible.

Now, I intend to keep my XP running beyond it's official burial. It's currently installed in one of my desktops which is functioning mainly as an emulator for multiple consoles and systems, runs dosbox, connected to the CM-500, and plays lots of MIDI files, and functioning as a more Win9x-games-friendly system. It also has a native PCI creative card for uninterrupted or unaltered EAX/3D audio.

I also have Linux installed in this machine, and intend to be online with Linux, and decrease the time online with XP. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials in XP.

I've read on many websites, the comments by readers, brushing aside the so called security loopholes that will be more evident once the patches are stopped stopped, and most calling these security vulnerabilities as BS and hitting back at MS's corporate mentality of forcing everyone to upgrade.
Will they remain defiant a few years from now on?

I'm already using Win7 in two of my systems. Both these also have a flavour of Linux (it's free, and fun to mess around with so many varities) too.

1. So, does anyone else have any idea if your anti virus suite alone will be able to defend the security issues in XP later on, beyond 2014?

2. Are you going to keep your XP connected and use it as your main connected OS next year onwards?

3. Any idea if Antivirus makers gonna stop supporting the XP platform, say in one year?

4. Putting aside the paranoia of supposed security loopholes, are you brave enough to keep your XP system connected 24/7 say, by the end of this year?

5. How much of the paranoia is the truth anyway? By Microsoft's warning, it's as though all the hackers are ready to pounce one on top of the other on XP systems, once MS pulls out the plug on XP. 🤣

Me? I don't think I'll keep it connected (I'll just disable the LAN in Windows - since my Linux partition will require the wired connection in this system). Well, maybe sometimes...maybe. That's why I have my Linux partition ready in the same system for online downloading/needs. I'll just keep my XP for older Windows gaming with EAX without Alchemy, MIDI music and for nostalgic sake, just like how I'm keeping my Win 95 and Win 3.11 systems. (And also in XP, I don't get to see the 16-bit colour corruption in older Windows 9x games as seen in Win7.)

Or I think I can keep it connected 24/7 and avoid doing bank transactions, online purchasing, saving any sort of passwords or personal information at all in this system. That means, no Vogons logging in from this machine too. 🤣

(But then again, I don't keep my Win95c system connected anymore.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 26, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

5. How much of the paranoia is the truth anyway? By Microsoft's warning, it's as though all the hackers are ready to pounce one on top of the other on XP systems, once MS pulls out the plug on XP. 🤣

Think about it. Software gets patched for *known* vulnerabilities, since if they're unknown, how can they patch them? Right?

So imagine you've discovered a vulnerability in your favourite popular OS, and you just happen to be planning to take advantage of this vulnerability for your own gain. Wouldn't you wait until after the vendor stops fixing vulnerabilities? That way, rather than having a few week window to exploit that vulnerability before it's fixed, you can exploit it with impunity forever.

Malik wrote:

Or I think I can keep it connected 24/7 and avoid doing bank transactions, online purchasing, saving any sort of passwords or personal information at all in this system. That means, no Vogons logging in from this machine too. 🤣

(But then again, I don't keep my Win95c system connected anymore.)

Not all exploits are about stealing information. Sometimes they are used to join the computer to a botnet for distributed denial of service attacks or spam generation. Better to keep it disconnected all together.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 26, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. i don't even have an antivirus installed, since i use it for gaming mostly and occassionally go online for steam updates. i don't keep any sensitive data anyway in my retro pc and never had any problem till now. if at the worst when the system crashes, i can always format and reinstall.
2. xp is not my main os, so no comments.
3. no idea, but i think the antivirus guys will stop because of unneccessary resource wastage though there may be exceptions.
4. no problem as mentioned in point 1, as the chances of home pc's being targeted are very less afaik.
5. maybe it's true but on corporate side.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 3 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd suspect there will be an unofficial service pack made for XP, at least the English versions and possibly a couple of the major other languages.
I'm not sure about unknown fixes, but I never even considered this. Good thinking.

At any rate, I'm waiting for the last updates to finally arrive so I can download the latest Dutch XP updates (I already started downloading updates over a year ago...just in case). But I'm not sure how to go about this.

I've read mixed things about Windows Update and finding and downloading the XP updates manually is sorta a pain and takes hours (I'm open for better suggestions. Best would be to be able to download all of them at once, of course without installing them).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 26, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've found that XP behaves much better when it's not allowed online, so my XP machine lost its Internet privileges years ago.

What I'm more worried about (and I think I expressed this in another thread) is what's going to happen to the activation system. Is it still going to be a one-click online thing? Is the 120 day waiting period still going to apply? Am I going to have to call Mumbai every time from now on? A more reasonable company might release an automatic activation patch, but I doubt that Microsoft would do anything of the sort.

Breaking the activation system would sure be a good way to force less tech-savvy users to "upgrade."

PCGames9505

Reply 7 of 26, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maximus wrote:

I've found that XP behaves much better when it's not allowed online, so my XP machine lost its Internet privileges years ago.

What I'm more worried about (and I think I expressed this in another thread) is what's going to happen to the activation system. Is it still going to be a one-click online thing? Is the 120 day waiting period still going to apply? Am I going to have to call Mumbai every time from now on? A more reasonable company might release an automatic activation patch, but I doubt that Microsoft would do anything of the sort.

*cough* VLK *cough*

Reply 8 of 26, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NJRoadfan wrote:

*cough* VLK *cough*

I don't see how that would help if the activation servers are down. At the moment, though, it seems that any key, OEM or retail, will work as long as it hasn't been used in the past 120 days.

PCGames9505

Reply 9 of 26, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maximus wrote:
NJRoadfan wrote:

*cough* VLK *cough*

I don't see how that would help if the activation servers are down. At the moment, though, it seems that any key, OEM or retail, will work as long as it hasn't been used in the past 120 days.

VLK copies don't need activation, but the only way to legally obtain VLK copies of Windows is to enter into a Software Assurance agreement, so it's a moot point.

Reply 10 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The activation issue for XP was solved long ago as long as you don't mind unofficial fixes.

As for patching new vulnerabilties it's possible that someone make look into porting the 2003 patches to XP in the same fashion that has been done with porting from XP to 2000 by WildBill and BlackWingCat

http://www.windows2000.tk/index.html
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/146529-pe-too … eating-patches/

Of course 2003 is EOL July 2015. After that it will likely be alot harder to port updates to XP/2003 from Vista/2008/7/2008R2.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 26, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're using XP to run certain games, you should be able to run it in something like Virtualbox with no problem. And hell no I would not keep it on the internet. So either run it in a vm in some other host OS that is actively being patched, or run it standalone but don't connect to the net. At least that is what I'm doing.

Reply 12 of 26, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

as long as you don't mind unofficial fixes

Unofficial fixes are nice, but not ideal. Doing things the "legitimate" way is often the best way to avoid technical problems, in my experience. (Compare playing commercial DVDs on Linux using libdvdcss2 to playing them on dedicated DVD or Blu-ray players. smiley-bangheadonwall-yellow.gif)

PCGames9505

Reply 13 of 26, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For myself i thinking of continuing using XP.. But iam not really out of this because of those security issues.. Bank accounting iam doing only on my main computer with windows 7 installed.
Iam only want to playing games with it actually, not other risk full things actually. Maybe there is a good way to tackle to most important xp bugs..
I thougt that the zero day hack could be tackled at some point to install to latest acrobat PDF reader.. Maybe its also a good point not to use the administrator panal as main panel. but make also a seperate user account.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 14 of 26, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sure I'll have XP around and connected for a long time to come. That said it won't be my main OS and I won't really do any web browsing on it but either way if there is a problem I'll just reimage the box and all fixed!

I mean if I am looking for something quickly I'm perfectly fine with going online on NT4 or 98SE as well, rendering looks a bit funny now in opera 10.60 though.

Reply 15 of 26, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll definitely keep XP going, though strictly off-line and for gaming only. 32-bit Pro SP2 is what I have running in my most modern era retro rig right now. I'll just need to find a reliable activation hack for future re-installs...

Reply 16 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
awergh wrote:

I'm sure I'll have XP around and connected for a long time to come. That said it won't be my main OS and I won't really do any web browsing on it but either way if there is a problem I'll just reimage the box and all fixed!

I mean if I am looking for something quickly I'm perfectly fine with going online on NT4 or 98SE as well, rendering looks a bit funny now in opera 10.60 though.

Potential solution but needs some work:
http://www.os2museum.com/wp/?p=2282

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 26, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:
awergh wrote:

Potential solution but needs some work:
http://www.os2museum.com/wp/?p=2282

Haha! That's insanely cool!

Reply 18 of 26, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I might bring in a view from a different angle here. I'm from Russia, the land of digital piracy, and most part of pirated operating systems have to run with automatic updates OFF. We still have XP SP2 in a lot of places, which was NEVER updated since the introduction of SP2. At home I daily use the release version of Windows 7.

If we do not face much trouble here in Russia, why would anyone?

Reply 19 of 26, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't have the equivalent of the BSA/RIAA mafia over there 😀
For those not familiar with these organizations: BSA = Business Software Alliance, RIAA = Recording Industry Association of America.
I don't think the BSA busts anyone but businesses running pirated copies, but the RIAA has come down hard on little old grandmothers for pirating MP3s. As we seem to be implementing a police state in the US we may need to be a little more careful than those of you overseas.