Common searches

Noise removal

Topic actions

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to record specific noise to later use that to filter it out?
When i try to record from my laptop, i get horribly annoying background noise i can not lower/remove at all. It has nothing to do with the sound card, and it isn't there when i listen with only my head phones.
When i disconnect the laptop the noise is gone, so i am guessing its not my sound card either.

Usually this type of noise isn't noticeable when recording (other noisy sound cards), but this time its horrible ear raping in the background.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 4, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you use Audacity, the noise removal works the way you describe. Record a few seconds of "nothing" before your audio, then in the Noise Removal widget you highlight those "nothing" seconds and tell it to use that as the noise profile.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 4, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

If you use Audacity, the noise removal works the way you describe. Record a few seconds of "nothing" before your audio, then in the Noise Removal widget you highlight those "nothing" seconds and tell it to use that as the noise profile.

I've been doing this since day-one of my web show. ;)

Just keep in mind that mic-position and all ambient devices in the area plays a factor in this, so you'll want to record a moment of silence every time you start recording, as opposed to making one recording of silence and using it over and over again in future recordings.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 4, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

I see, awesome. I will try that out today.
I am recording samples from one program i found that i latter want to make a topic about (just like note tracker). 😊

Gemini000 wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

I've been doing this since day-one of my web show. 😉

Just keep in mind that mic-position and all ambient devices in the area plays a factor in this, so you'll want to record a moment of silence every time you start recording, as opposed to making one recording of silence and using it over and over again in future recordings.

Yeah, i understand i should always have samples from the noise i am recoding from, and not use the same file.
Will try today to see what happens 😁

Reply 4 of 4, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thing does wonders 😀
I tried both audacity and GoldWave. I find goldwave result to be a bit more satisfactory. (Zooming in audacity with CTRL SCROLL is a bit buggy).
Thanks for teaching me what to try out, really appreciated 😊

I am recording using TBP 😀))