VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A post by Great Hierophant on this thread made me think about something I've started to notice recently.

Great Hierophant wrote:

The old Mobygames site would use as much width as your screen could provide. A few sites like Wikipedia still do, but most sites today stick their content squarely in the middle of the page. I am not saying that this approach is not without merit. Tablets benefit from this approach, but also multiple window users also enjoy the benefit. However, the wikipedia adaptive-width approach is the best in my opinion. One can use the left and right sides of the screen without making the site seem cluttered.

On my 22" 1080p display I have my browser window open to one side, resized to give an effective page area of roughly 1000x800 pixels, using the free space on the right for gadgets, notes, IM windows, etc (things I used a second monitor for a couple years ago). Like this:
desktop_vogons.png?w=600
But when friends come over and use my PC to have a quick look at something the very first thing they do is maximize the browser window. I don't get it. It either wastes a ton of space on the sides or the text expands to fill the screen, leading to ridiculously long lines. I can't read like that, I feel like I'm moving my head too much to read a single line of text, which makes me lose focus way faster and is much more tiring overall. Have I been living under a rock? Is this how everyone is reading text nowadays?

One thing I like about widescreen displays though is two page scrolling on PDFs - reading manuals and schematic diagrams like that is so much better, but for web pages I'm sticking to a 4:3ish ratio.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 1 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You resize the browser?

Make sure you use the Windows Help and Support feature and read up on Windows Snap 😀

It will save you a ton of time.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a small, resized browser like your example when at work, but that's mainly about fooling others into thinking my mind is at least half focused on work 😀 At home I'm a full screen kinda guy, and if I'm multi tasking, then I alt-tab b/w windows - my hand is usually hovering around that part of the keyboard anyway. I just prefer whatever I'm reading to be centered on the screen.

At work most other developers have 2 or more screens, I don't feel the need for that either. One window at a time is usually enough.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 11, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I'm a full-screen reader (although I have a smaller 20" widescreen monitor) and switch between windows using the mouse. I also don't move my head when I read - I just move my eyes instead (no eye strain or headaches either). I do the same thing at work, with a mix of widescreen LCDs and standard CRTs. Everything is maximized on the screen as well (when possible).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 4 of 11, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 4:3 screen but my browser window is usually in a "widescreen" resolution. Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/p2rGD3i.png
Don't really know why, it just works best for me. I tend to have 10+ windows open simultaneously, none of which are maximized because that obscures other windows. Only time I ever maximize anything is when gaming, or when I'm stuck at 800x600 for some reason.
I must say I don't use the top half of my screen very often because I have to look upwards to see it. Kinda annoying.

133MHz wrote:

But when friends come over and use my PC to have a quick look at something the very first thing they do is maximize the browser window.

ARGH, I really hate that too and don't understand it. Maximize just wastes so much screen space!

Reply 6 of 11, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use the Aero Snap feature quite frequently, just not on the browser (which I practically never move or resize). I keep the browser window a few pixels clear off the edges so I can quickly access the icons on the corners. 😀
I used to be a 'full screen' kind of guy too, and even ran multiple monitors to support my habit, but when I got a 1080p screen I found it too short and too wide for comfortable reading, now I rarely maximize anything 'cept for multimedia and things like schematic diagrams.

I don't move my head either, but I guess I feel like I'm doing it and get mentally tired. To me it's like if newspapers were printed edge-to-edge instead of in columns.

Shagittarius wrote:

It's called Windows for a reason, Microsoft used to know what that meant.

I see what you did there.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 7 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote:

I also don't understand the maximizers out there =) It's called Windows for a reason, Microsoft used to know what that meant.

Some of us don't see as well as we used to. 🤣

Reply 8 of 11, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Hey, I'm not that old! 🤣 At least, I don't think so 😜 (Now where did I put those cleaning pads for my glasses 😅 )

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 9 of 11, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jwt27 wrote:

ARGH, I really hate that too and don't understand it. Maximize just wastes so much screen space!

Don't you know? Full-screen is the future. It's immersive.

Also fast and fluid.

😉

Reply 11 of 11, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a wide screen monitor in portrait mode with my browser maximized. Portrait is better than landscape for everything except movies and games.

I don't see any reason to have windows at all, except for the rare case when you're reading from one window and typing into another. And in that case, tiling is a more convenient option. Any time spent moving your hands back and forth between the keyboard and mouse, or spend dragging windows around with the mouse, is wasted.