VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there any module players that can use OpenAL and\or DirectSound3D or something to hardware mix voices of a module on the various Creative soundcards? I'm curious how modules would sound when mixed by the audio card rather than by the CPU.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 9, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Beats me, but is there any surround sound audio device, that runs android ? Cause then you could always install XMP for Android on the device, and get it to run over the stereo/surround sound system.

Reply 3 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't want ASIO support as I already HAVE that... What I'm looking for is completely hardware mixed audio as in all the CPU is doing is telling the voices of the sound card how to play the sample, just like all the GUS players that ran on GUS cards.

I'm really curious about this because of how the x-fi series cards filters it's audio when mixed in hardware. (according to creative they dedicated almost all of the thoughtput on the card towards a massive filter for whatever reason)

EDIT: ASIO also != hardware mixing. It's still mixing the audio in software and it simply uses ASIO as a low latency pathway for playing back of the software mixed stream.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doing it in software is the approach you want for the most flexibility and quality. I don't know of any players that tried to use DirectSound or OpenAL for the actual rendering of the songs.

Reply 5 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only things I know of hardware mixed audio is using the GUS on ScreamTracker 3, FT2 and Impulse Tracker, and using the AWE32 on ImpulseTracker. Though Jeffery Lim said that resonance filtering on the AWE32 is done differently than his software mixed MMX code, and samples had to strictly be 16-bit and a whole slew of other dumb issues... It was still hardware mixed anyways.

I'd imagine a hardware mixed module player on modern windows would use OpenAL with each of the voices on the card dedicated to the channels in the module file. The in_bass plugin has DirectSound3D support for hardware mixing of modules but I've never gotten it to work properly obviously because the geniuses at Redmond Washington thought it was a good idea to remove a critical part of the OS that everyone was using at the time.

I guess I might as well try writing it myself even though I'm a idiot when it comes to C++

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the distant past I recall trying to use a Windows MOD player that used the AWE64. But given that my AWE64 at the time had limited RAM, it wasn't particularly useful. I think I might have it somewhere.

Of course, the principle advantage to such a player was that it was potentially much less CPU intensive; as you could hardly strain one of today's CPUs just by playing a MOD file, there would be little practical purpose for such a thing.

Reply 8 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I'm not looking for less CPU intensiveness rather than just wanting to experiment with how the different Creative Live and beyond series cards handled their audio filtering.

― Κυνικός Δράκων