VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZw22rQ3-Y

Used only sentry guns. Damn everything else even the TACTICAL NUCLEAR MISSILE I had on hand, I just used all of my sentry guns at once.

Anybody else got some stupid moments to share where they defeated a boss in a way the developers probably never thought was possible?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 20, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Half Life - Gonarch
Place all five explosives and trip mines onto the part of the floor that explodes when it dies and activate it. It will trigger a lot of damage (more than the amount of health that part has) and destroy the cap while Gonarch is still alive and you can pretty much skip that fight there saving HP and Ammo on important guns.

Also, any other boss before Nihilanth can be skipped easily.

Than there are games like FInal Fantasy 7 where if you farm like a crazy person you can instant own anything. Especially with Barret final weapon + lucky 7777 + mime materia you can kill Ruby weapon with out breaking a sweat.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 20, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

The earliest stupid way I thought of is the grenade pause glitch in Blaster Master. This was prior to internets.

Aren't there several other games on the NES that have a exploitable glitch like that?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 20, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Blaster Master was the first game I thought of when I read this thread since it has TWO boss exploits. The pause trick is common knowledge, but less common knowledge is that the final boss has difficulty hitting you if you're in the bottom right corner of the screen, making it possible to just sit there and never take damage. :P

Pharaoh Man in Mega Man IV is also a joke if you have Bright Man's Flash Stopper weapon and a turbo controller. As soon as Pharaoh Man's life gauge starts building up, hold down your fire button with full turbo, get in close, and just wait until he goes 'splody. :B

Some of the bosses in Gradius III are actually incredibly easy when using the Laser or Cyclone Laser weapons because of how the beams are tracked and blocked. You can basically move the beams into the bosses weak spots past whatever barriers they have set up, allowing you to beat some of the bosses which normally take a minute or two in mere seconds. This is made especially easy when you've got a full set of four Rotation Options.

One of the more difficult early-game bosses in The Guardian Legend is this red crab-like thing and despite normally being pretty tough, it's actually incredibly easy once you understand how its AI works. It's AI accelerates based on where you are in relation to it and nothing else. So all you have to do is arm some powerful secondary weapon and stay perfectly centred with it horizontally for the entire battle, that way it will simply bob up and down the screen while you lay waste into it with your weapons. It will hit you a few times but shouldn't cause enough damage to be deadly.

And in Dragon Warrior II on the NES, whatever you do, DON'T use the Chance spell during the final battle. You can't run during boss battles and one of Chance's effects guarantees you to flee from battle... so if you attempt to cast it during the final battle and roll that effect, the battle restarts from the beginning and you have to do it all over again. That's not so much a stupid way to win but a stupid way to have to do it over given a spell that's supposed to be the most powerful in the game despite its randomness. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 20, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

To defeat Shub-Niggurath in Quake, just wait in front of the teleporter an the end of the corridor until the spiked ball that's floating around goes inside it. Jump into the teleporter; instant telefrag! 😀

EDIT: Found Youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWbxK_WQU7A

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 7 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well that's technically the only way to beat her.

HOWEVER there's also two other ways but unintended:

- Quad rocket jump way far up into the ceiling to trigger the exit
- actually go through the trouble and shoot all your ammo at her and then axe her, with quad. This will cause Quake to crash

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 20, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
leileilol wrote:

well that's technically the only way to beat her.

I know leileilol; still, it's a very unconventional way to defeat a final game boss - and I don't recall any other game that required the player to do this.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 9 of 20, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

- actually go through the trouble and shoot all your ammo at her and then axe her, with quad. This will cause Quake to crash

Now that is interesting!!!!

Reply 11 of 20, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This glitch comes to mind; The Amazing Spider-Man 'helicopter jump'. The game is a lot shorter this way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UqFdSc372g

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 13 of 20, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In Titan Quest, the bosses (and all enemies) have a predestined area allotted to them. If you they follow you while you're running away and cross that boundary, they will turn back and return to their initial position. If you're an archer or projectile magic user, you can stand slighlty away from that imaginary boundary and keep firing at them. Once you move further back, they will turn around to go back, and when you come back closer, they will come back to attack you. So you can carrot-goat them without getting closer and keep firing the projectiles.

You can kill all the big bosses easily this way.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 20, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

This glitch comes to mind; The Amazing Spider-Man 'helicopter jump'. The game is a lot shorter this way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UqFdSc372g

In fact, that's the only way to finish this game 😉

Reply 16 of 20, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

I think this wins the prize here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1bqTPBfY8I

Read the comments. One says they patched the game so you can't do that anymore. You know someone has found a cheesy way to win the game or to do something the devs never intended them to do when it has to be patched to remove it. I remember they were always patching Everquest to fix ways people would find to cheat.

Reply 17 of 20, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Read the comments. One says they patched the game so you can't do that anymore. You know someone has found a cheesy way to win the game or to do something the devs never intended them to do when it has to be patched to remove it. I remember they were always patching Everquest to fix ways people would find to cheat.

And? things like 'gamebreakers' and such usually end up being fixed unless the developer doesn't support the game anymore or if there isn't an active community alive, but I thought the point of this thread was just having some fun

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 18 of 20, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:
sliderider wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

And? things like 'gamebreakers' and such usually end up being fixed unless the developer doesn't support the game anymore or if there isn't an active community alive, but I thought the point of this thread was just having some fun

And nothing. I'm just saying.

Reply 19 of 20, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't there an AI bug with the final boss in Legend of Zelda II that lets you win by crouching in a certain spot and slashing your sword over and over?

Also, I finished the first Hitman game by finding a spot in a corridor where the clones would rush through one by one into a choke point and be easily dispatched.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.