VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

this will be my first post on this forum, though I have thought about registering a long time ago.. Also, I must say I adore the forums references to the awesome tales from Douglas Adams. I have read all five of the four books of the trilogy, expept the sixth one. 😉

I am quite interested in vintage computing, and I have a shelf stuffed with old goodies like an IBM 5155, a couple of 486's and a bunch of P54 pentiums. In addition, there are some machines that doesn't work correctly or I haven't got the skill or urge to try and get them running. Then I thought of go on eBay and sell some parts and become filthy rich from scavenging other peoples trash. But that didn't quite sound right. So, if there are anyone here on this forum that might be looking for parts, I was hoping a fair trade could be more interesting.

What I have on the get-rid-of-list is an IBM Model 70, this is a 386 desktop with MCA cards and some special connections for HDD / FDD. It has this "486-now!" upgrade module, looks like a little PCB with a 486DX-33 and some cache that fits into the 386 socket on the mobo. There is an ethernet MCA card, and an upgrade MCA card with lots of 72-pin RAM. I also have a socket 7 AT mobo with a P133 too many. And, at last, an AT mobo with Super socket 7 that holds a K62-400. None of these things are tested, I think the mobo of the IBM has som corrosion that halts it from booting.

Are there anyone that might find some use for these things?
If possible, I would very much like to trade in for something for my 486. Like a 5 to 3.3v adapter for DX4 processors, or some special VRAM modules (standing upright) to upgrade the screen resolution...

I can add pictures of the items if there is any response.

Cheers! 😀

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 2 of 10, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In order to keep the atmosphere friendly, the open trade has been prohibited here on Vogons. This keeps cut-throat retro maniacs nice and sociable 😁

Reply 3 of 10, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, thanks for the heads up! 😀 Also, thank you carlostex for your suggestions. I wouldn't dare aggrevating a Vogon, as it might read some of its terrible poems aloud. 😉

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 5 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

In order to keep the atmosphere friendly, the open trade has been prohibited here on Vogons. This keeps cut-throat retro maniacs nice and sociable 😁

^This very much so, even I feel that itch to post but the rules are there for a reason.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 10, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DeafPK wrote:

What I have on the get-rid-of-list is an IBM Model 70, this is a 386 desktop with MCA cards and some special connections for HDD / FDD. It has this "486-now!" upgrade module, looks like a little PCB with a 486DX-33 and some cache that fits into the 386 socket on the mobo. There is an ethernet MCA card, and an upgrade MCA card with lots of 72-pin RAM.

How much would cost shipping it? Which HDD does it have? Does it still work? It took me years to have a running PS/2 Model 70 because of these one-of-a-kind DBA drives.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 7 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since I live in Norway domestoc shipping isnt that bad for AT cases if you have some layong around. I've sent you a PM

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think asking for shipping costs looks like the message "no trading" didn't come across

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 10, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, sorry GL1zdA, we will have to obey the forum rules and take it somewhere else. I made a new topic on V C Forums if you are interested:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … ade-or-giveaway

Reply 10 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper