Common searches

to 486 or not to 486

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The add on gumtree said 14 month old PC but the £3 price and Panasonic style Creative CD-ROM told me otherwise. Ended up being a working Cyrix Dx2 66 on a PCI motherboard. I was actually after something to play NFS3 but fell in love with it and couldn't give it away despite its practical use. Not sure how much I've spent on it but the 16MB DIMMS would have been the most expensive items followed by the CF cards. AWE32 Value was $10 Virge DX, bit more, and the floppy emulator. Even the DX4 120 cost less then £20!?

While the guy who posted the original add for sure knew the PC was older then what he said I don't think he knew what he had or what a 486 was. Sometimes ignorance can work in your favour as I've got a working 486 for less then £100

Reply 21 of 23, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Go for it. But one 486 is not enough!!! An OEM with PS/2 mouse port is the most useful to start with. Then you can look for 486 boards that have socket 3 and experiment with the coveted Pentium Overdrive and fall into the bottomless dimension of benchmarking and comparing gaming behavior and spend less time actually playing the games......

Reply 22 of 23, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kinda wish I hadn't 486'd.
Checked my e-bay purchase history trying to track down this non-shipped memory and I spent significantly more than I planned. So I am probably not going to be buying any more gear anytime soon. Damn ebay is like crack. Sticking to curbside stuff from now on.

Reply 23 of 23, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have not bought anything for a while. Buying and selling becomes pretty stressful after a while. February - August is my busy time at work so I do not have the time / energy for it anyway. I have not played anything vintage either. I have been playing AOE2HDFE to relax lately. 😀 My MasterCard no longer works for shopping in JP so that also blocks purchases there.