VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://venturebeat.com/2014/03/25/microsoft-o … in-the-streets/

it's only MS-DOS 2 so i doubt any one will this useful.

Reply 1 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Interesting enough for there to be three topics about it already

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There must still be things in later DOS releases that MS doesn't want the public to know about or else they would have released those as well. I know Apple can't release some of the early versions of MacOS as freeware because some of the code they used was licensed from other sources and is still under copyright. In order for Apple to release that code, they would first have to acquire it and I doubt they would spend money on something they intend to release for free. Maybe MS used code that wasn't generated in house in some of those later releases, either with or without permission.

Reply 5 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So obviously this combination is not allowed: To derive a customized DOS from the source AND distribute that. Regardless of it being non-commercial.
...Bummer.
No interesting things to share, if you want interesting things you have to make it yourself and keep it solely for yourself.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 12, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even these versions aren't complete... 1.1 is just a random selection of a few files, and 2.0 is missing io.sys source (for one).

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 10 of 12, by [ROTT] IanPaulFreeley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One highlight from the code:

; DS=CS. Writes back all dirty FATs. All registers destroyed.

Dirty FATs? Yes please.

- AMD 386 DX/40, 8mb, DOS 6.22 / WFW
- 486 DX2/66, 16mb, DOS 6.22 / WFW
- 486 DX4/100, 16mb, Win98se
- Pentium 166, 32mb, DOS 6.22 / WFW
- Pentium Pro 200, 64mb, Win98
- Athlon 500 MHz, 192mb, Win98

Reply 12 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
[ROTT] IanPaulFreeley wrote:

One highlight from the code:

; DS=CS. Writes back all dirty FATs. All registers destroyed.

Dirty FATs? Yes please.

Please read from the link Stiletto posted. Someone mentions in there that the code cannot be compiled as-is. Someone from MS deliberately broke it. A few clever guys figured out some of the things they did to make the code useless and fixed it, but I'm sure there's a lot more that will need correcting before you can get a working copy of DOS from the sources. There's also parts missing, so getting a fully working copy from the sources may be impossible.