VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all!

I took a break from computing after the Voodoo 2 and want to figure out when games and gamers switched from Voodoo to ATI / Nvidia.

Early 3D games supported Glide. For example Unreal did. But what about later games? There is Unreal Tournament and Unreal 2. Do these support Glide?

From ID we have Quake 2, which supports the 3DFX natively. What about later Quake games?

What are the last games with native Glide support? At what point did games support features or got so demanding that Voodoo cards couldn't keep up anymore.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 27, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UT supports Glide, Unreal 2 does not. Quake 3 does not support Glide (I think).

Far Cry (released in 2004) was certainly too demanding for any Voodoo graphicscard.
I played UT2004 on my Voodoo5 5500 AGP at a resolution of 800x600 with about 22FPS average, maybe even lower, on a Pentium 4 2.26GHz

Don't know about other games from 2000 - 2004 though.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 3 of 27, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Deus Ex? It supports GLide and it was launched in the year 2000 - later than Unreal Tournament.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Quake 2 does not support 3Dfx cards natively, it merely looks for a MiniGL or just uses standard OpenGL if you have a Full OGL ICD.

Well in the video menu you can select software, openGL and 3dfx or something like that. So with native I meant without having to patch it like with the first Quake 😀

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Deus Ex? It supports GLide and it was launched in the year 2000 - later than Unreal Tournament.

Very nice. Never played that game. I will keep an eye out for it. Got a copy of UT underway.

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 27, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Quake 2 does not support 3Dfx cards natively, it merely looks for a MiniGL or just uses standard OpenGL if you have a Full OGL ICD.

Well in the video menu you can select software, openGL and 3dfx or something like that. So with native I meant without having to patch it like with the first Quake 😀

Totally ok with me 😀.

Some of the games that come to mind are:

Aquanox, Severance : Blade of Darkness, Morrowind...

Reply 7 of 27, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Wow I never played any of these games!

With the volume of Benching you do, we will be surprised only if you find time for playing games 😐 . In fact, we saw only few posts of yours in 'List the PC games that you have beaten' thread(no offense 😲).

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 8 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

True. I play very little these days 😀

The latest games I played are Battlefield 4 on the PC and Tomb Raider on the PS3.

I "play" a lot more in my lab...

Got some Voodoo cards coming and I want to do more benchmarking. This time covering all resolutions and several platforms.

Yes it will take weeks, but will get me another step closer to immortality 🤣

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 27, by [Zeus]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting topic. 😀

Divine Divinity seems to be the last game with native Glide support.

Native (the last 3):
Divine Divinity - September 22, 2002
Xtreme Air Racing - September 14, 2002
2002 FIFA World Cup - April 11, 2002

Non-native (the last 3):
Star Trek: Elite Force II - June 20, 2003
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter - February 1, 2002
CIA Operative: Solo Missions - December 31, 2001

Morrowind (May 1, 2002) is probably the best example of this transition (DX 8.1 / T&L).

Reply 10 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And lastly, which one of these have benchmarking features built in?

I know that ID and Epic Megagames games always have a timedemo feature. So they are great for benchmarking.

I want to cover a range of benchmarks, from early ones that scale well with the CPU like Forsaken to newer ones which are more taxing on the GPU like Unreal. I will see what frames I'm getting with Quake arena and UT99.

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 27, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Didn't the first version of AquaMark have support for Glide?

Reply 14 of 27, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really? I remember GeForce2 being the major turning point. Must be a difference in country.

Reply 15 of 27, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NitroX infinity wrote:

Really? I remember GeForce2 being the major turning point. Must be a difference in country.

This. Until GF2, things were still competitive enough (& glide compatibility a big enough deal) that Voodoo remained useful. A lot of people were also pinning their hopes on the V5 6K and the unending Rampage project.

GF256 had T&L but as I recall nothing really used it immediately so it wasn't a must-have.

Reply 16 of 27, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GF256 suffered the same problem of GF3 in that it didn't have a budget entry level version. And it's true HW T&L was mostly just hype at that point, the feature was only extensively used in 2001 and later so it didn't make sense to blow all the hundreds for games that won't be available anyway - except Q3A which (allegedly) used it, but ran just fine on any other card released at the time.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 27, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would guess that a lot of people did like I did and grabbed a Voodoo card while dealers were blowing them out after 3dfx went belly up so probably 6 months to a year after that would have been when a lot of those 3dfx users would be hunting for a new graphics card again. Probably during the GeForce 3/Radeon 8500 time period.

Reply 18 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So the Voodoo 3 2000 / 3000 was the last Voodoo card that many gamers had? After this most switched to a Radeon or Geforce?

AFAIK the Voodoo 3 is on the same level as Voodoo 2 SLI but could run higher resolutions.

I got to get myself a Voodoo 3 one day. Haven't found any affordable cards yet in Australia.

My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 27, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

So the Voodoo 3 2000 / 3000 was the last Voodoo card that many gamers had? After this most switched to a Radeon or Geforce?

AFAIK the Voodoo 3 is on the same level as Voodoo 2 SLI but could run higher resolutions.

I got to get myself a Voodoo 3 one day. Haven't found any affordable cards yet in Australia.

Most of the true blue fanboys probably waited for the Voodoo 4/5 to come out before switching to another brand. I bought a V5 PCI not long after the bankruptcy announcement and used that for about 6 months before switching to nVidia.