VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool! Great to hear about real experiences from back in the day 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 27, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another game that comes to mind is Max Payne. While somewhat playable on a Voodoo 3, the comic book style cutscenes look horrible due to the low res texture support on these cards. It looks as it is supposed to on V4/V5 and it runs quite a bit better.

Reply 22 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did many people have a Voodoo 4/5 or was this towards the end of 3Dfx and people knew they had to switch?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 27, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got myself a Voodoo5 5500 AGP in 2000 and used that for about 4 years before I bought a second-hand low-end Radeon 9000 series card.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 24 of 27, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quake 3 really was the first game that made Voodoo2 feel slow IMO. Performance is significantly worse compared to UE1 games running in Glide. The game also looks quite bad in 16-bit color so it's obvious that id didn't really care about the 3dfx userbase.

Reply 25 of 27, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Did many people have a Voodoo 4/5 or was this towards the end of 3Dfx and people knew they had to switch?

I got the V5 because it was cheap at the time but it became pretty clear early on that it wasn't up to the speed of cards from nVidia and ATi and that with 3dfx gone, there wasn't going to be any more Glide support in games.

Reply 26 of 27, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was one of the people who picked up some voodoo3 cards when they were being closed out. It wasn't until unreal2 - actually the last game I played - that I got a radeon 9200. I have never messed with nvidia.

Reply 27 of 27, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

The game also looks quite bad in 16-bit color so it's obvious that id didn't really care about the 3dfx userbase.

They cared enough in that they had their multitexturing path specifically designed to squeeze out the Voodoo2 with the lightmaps being part of one TMU and the rest of the scene on the other. They cared enough to detect a Voodoo2 as a secondary and use that if it's detected as the only option available. They even cared to support WGL_3dfx_gamma_control!

And this may also shock you....in that game they also cared about the ATI Rage Pro userbase!!!

apsosig.png
long live PCem