VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I completed Arx Fatalis on the open source Arx Libertatis engine and it was a pretty solid experience. It runs super smooth, never crashed or corrupted saves. There were a few glitches, the most notable being that the end boss didn't attack! 😀 I reloaded my save and that fixed it. I also got stuck in place after some cut-scenes but jumping eventually broke me free.

Any Arx fans on here? I thought the game was excellent. Cool setting, amazing atmosphere and good combat for the time. The "draw runes on your screen" spell casting is an interesting idea but not exactly practical. I also have the Xbox version and they changed spell casting up on there.

Reply 2 of 8, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a horrible pirated version of the game, yet I love it so much I do not throw it out. It's got all sounds in Russian and the actors were nowhere near professional, yet they made a great job screaming in hilarious voices.

What I really dig is the inventory, the great crafting system (to get a potion you first need an empty bottle, to fry rat meat you need to place it by the fire, to make a pie you need flour and some water and an egg and the stuffing, etc.) The crafting process is lively, with all the sounds and animation and stuff. Never seen anything like this before.

Reply 4 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I've been meaning to play this game forever! Perhaps it's time to do so. You reckon Arx Libertatis is the way to go?

It usually runs much better than the original game engine. You do lose out on the curious "bump mapping" though because the Libertatis crew removed that, but it doesn't really look good anyway. On the other hand you gain anti aliasing, anisotropic filtering and OpenAL support among other things. Probably bug fixes too.

It's easy enough to experiment with both if you like. Saves aren't compatible however.

Reply 5 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:

What I really dig is the inventory, the great crafting system (to get a potion you first need an empty bottle, to fry rat meat you need to place it by the fire, to make a pie you need flour and some water and an egg and the stuffing, etc.) The crafting process is lively, with all the sounds and animation and stuff. Never seen anything like this before.

Yup it is interesting! Apple pie with wine. 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

I've been meaning to play this game forever! Perhaps it's time to do so. You reckon Arx Libertatis is the way to go?

It usually runs much better than the original game engine. You do lose out on the curious "bump mapping" though because the Libertatis crew removed that, but it doesn't really look good anyway. On the other hand you gain anti aliasing, anisotropic filtering and OpenAL support among other things. Probably bug fixes too.

It's easy enough to experiment with both if you like. Saves aren't compatible however.

I guess going to Libertatis is well worth it then! Will definitely give it a try when I sit down and play this game 😉

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never even heard of Libertatis until just now. Is that a recent development?

By all accounts the game is extraordinary. (They were angling to call it Ultima Underworld III originally.)

Reply 8 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

I never even heard of Libertatis until just now. Is that a recent development?

The source code for Arx was released in 2011 and the Arx Libertatis project formed to make use of it.