VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by valencio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. I bought a good cooler to overclock my Pentium 4 2.4C HT to 3.3-3.6 Gz, but so far I can only use a divider of 5:4 and an FSB of 250 Mhz with PC 3200 DDR 400 RAM (250x4:5 = 200 Mhz the default RAM clock and 3 Ghz OC maximum with this divider)
If I set a 3:2 divider with any FSB above 215/220 the PC does not even POST, it gives beeps indicating memory error even if the resulting FSB is much lower than what the rams were designed for and I have to clear the CMOS.
Motherboard is an Abit IC7 and GeForce 6800 Ultra AGP, the PCI and AGP are locked to 33/66.
I tried switcing RAM sticks and disabling HT, Dual channel, high vcore but it didnt help.
Am I being dumb or this mobo cant set the FSB properly for the rams before POST with this divider?

2. Also I digged up my old P3 coppermine 550 Mhz and it kept restarting, then I noticed that the CPU temperature was above 100º, and noticed there was a huge amount of dust clogging the fan, after I cleaned the heatsink and fan, I removed the thermal paste, and decided to install the CPU withouth any paste, and now I can overclock the CPU to 733 Mhz - 847 Mhz but the temperature is only 2º or 3º above the room temp (I never seen it past 27º on Full load with stock cooler and max OC, I think the thermal monitor got damaged and is not measuring correclty, i tried different progs and BIOS to measure and heatsink is hot, or are those normal temps and is thermal paste useless?)

4. Out of topic, what retro cards have good 16 bit color quality for games that dont support 32 bit? I noticed that every ATI Nvidia and intel cards even recent ones in 16 bit there is like an almost invisible stipple alpha? dot matrix on the whole screen and alpha stuff like smoke and water, I have a voodoo 3 but the quality is only slightly better and has some sort of interference on the dac, the games I want to try are stuff like Hydro Thunder, Motocross Madness 2 and SWAT3 so they need powerfull cards, I was thinking about a Matrox G450 but I dont know if it really has good 32 bit and is a bit weak, I hear that the Kyro cards also have them, I dont think that a way to force 32 bit color really exists?

What about recent cards? I want to get a new rig but I heard that modern GPU are missing a lot of features and GL extensions, specially on AMD GPU for OpenGL games and that some DirectX 5-8 and OGL games are corrupted on modern GPU or does Nvidia cards still have lots of GL Extensions? Altough I wanted to try an AMD card with True Audio and better price/performance ratio, has anyone tried playing Thief 4 with it and is it worht it?

5. Is hyper threading really usefull on a Pentium 4? I dont notice any performance increase with it enabled, maybe only slightly when using a lot of progs at the same time or maybe its just placebo, but in games it has 0 impact and people say it increases the temperatures and that for OC shuld be disabled and that HT in some cases can reduce performance. Should it be enabled?

UMC 486 DX4 120 Mhz|16 MB RAM|S3 Virge 2 MB|Opti 82C931
Cyrix 6x86 150 Mhz|80 MB RAM|ATI Rage II 4 MB|Yamaha YMF744 PCI
Celeron 366@ 550 Mhz|256 MB RAM|3dfx Voodoo 2000|SB Live!
Pentium 4 2.4@ 3.4 Ghz|GF 6800 Ultra AGP 256 MB|2 GB DDR400|SB X-Fi|ABIT IC7G

Reply 1 of 1, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
valencio wrote:

2. Also I digged up my old P3 coppermine 550 Mhz and it kept restarting, then I noticed that the CPU temperature was above 100º, and noticed there was a huge amount of dust clogging the fan, after I cleaned the heatsink and fan, I removed the thermal paste, and decided to install the CPU withouth any paste, and now I can overclock the CPU to 733 Mhz - 847 Mhz but the temperature is only 2º or 3º above the room temp (I never seen it past 27º on Full load with stock cooler and max OC, I think the thermal monitor got damaged and is not measuring correclty, i tried different progs and BIOS to measure and heatsink is hot, or are those normal temps and is thermal paste useless?)

Coppermines do run relatively cool. If the surface of the heatsink really has a good and complete contact with the processor (devoid of irregular surface points), then thermal paste is not required. Technically thermal paste will only worsen it. But in general to be on the safer side in case the heatsink surface isn't smooth, a thin film of thermal paste will really help. In your case the thermal monitor is probably not working as there should be thermal variation depending on load AFAIK.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain