VOGONS

Common searches

New Socket 7 Build

Topic actions

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I'm building a new socket 7 Time Machine to be used only in DOS environment.
I have 3 MOBOS to choose from and I'm planning to use:
- 233MMX CPU + 32mb RAM (FTP)
- Sound Blaster CT2230 + NEC XR385 + Roland MT-32
- S3 TRio 64+ (no voodoo 1 on this one)
Please let me know you thoughts.

VcJrKnj.png?1

bZ4BWj7.png?1

ScVMuJN.png?1

Reply 1 of 45, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Spoilt for choice 😀

I found the chipset made zero difference under DOS. Haven't had issues with either.

I would check the BIOS and see which board allows turning ACPI off. It can cause issues with MPU401 in combination with PCI storage controllers because it uses IRQ 2/9.

In mine I use an AGP card and a 16MB stick of SDRAM. This has worked well.

Do all the boards support PS/2 mouse?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 45, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Spoilt for choice :) […]
Show full quote

Spoilt for choice 😀

I found the chipset made zero difference under DOS. Haven't had issues with either.

I would check the BIOS and see which board allows turning ACPI off. It can cause issues with MPU401 in combination with PCI storage controllers because it uses IRQ 2/9.

In mine I use an AGP card and a 16MB stick of SDRAM. This has worked well.

Do all the boards support PS/2 mouse?

Yes, spolit for choice, hehe, you're absolutely right.
Give a man a car as a present and he'll be happy. Give him 2 cars to choose from and you'll make him miserable!

The 3 boards support ps2 mouse. I may put a K6-2 for slowdown purposes instead of an MMX, I'm still deciding...

Reply 3 of 45, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hehe...

Well the middle one, never heard of the brand and it's not AGP.

The Shuttle has 3 ISA slots compared to 2 on the Jetway, so maybe that's important?

VIA vs. ALI I haven't had any issues myself. Maybe check out the BIOS, see if one has anything special like soft FSB or things like that.

My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 45, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a 4th choice,since u want to use a Pentium 233 mmx and u don't need agp,a mb with intel 430tx should be a better choice since usually a intel proc,intel chipset combination is faster.

Reply 5 of 45, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the layout of the Jetway best - the CPU socket being rotated should make mounting the heatsink easier in a case, and the memory can be removed without pulling the ATX power connector. It also looks like it uses DIP switches vs jumpers for some settings (and they shouldn't be blocked by any of the cards, unlike on the Shuttle), which imho is nicer to live with. I'd go with the Jetway as a result, unless there's some compatibility reason that forces you into one of the other boards.

Curious question: Do you know how much cache your specific example has? (The specs show 512k or 1M, I'm assuming there's two production models as a result)

Reply 6 of 45, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

I like the layout of the Jetway best - the CPU socket being rotated should make mounting the heatsink easier in a case, and the memory can be removed without pulling the ATX power connector. It also looks like it uses DIP switches vs jumpers for some settings (and they shouldn't be blocked by any of the cards, unlike on the Shuttle), which imho is nicer to live with. I'd go with the Jetway as a result, unless there's some compatibility reason that forces you into one of the other boards.

Curious question: Do you know how much cache your specific example has? (The specs show 512k or 1M, I'm assuming there's two production models as a result)

Yes, I do like the Jetway best as well. But that is, without checking hardware capabilities and differences between them...
I haven't checked any of these 3 boards yet- I'm waiting for a 486 case to arrive. That'll be its new home 😀
As soon as I test them, I'll post results and differences between them. I'll check if is 512 or 1mb cache.

Reply 7 of 45, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BTW I've never seen this pin setup for a ps2 to pin adapter....can you guys help me out, I have no idea on how to look up for one of these on ebay....under which name should I look it up?
xkK8Cdz.jpg

Reply 9 of 45, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote:

Look up what? What you are showing is the usual "male 6 pin header rm pitch=2.54".

Sorry, I may have not explained myself well enough.
What I mean, is this the cable I need? But you just answered my question. Thanx!
( I know...newbee questions 😊 )

nvPvZbI.jpg

Reply 11 of 45, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys, I'm looking everywhere for one of these cables and I can't seem to find any. I know these cables were not standard....and that I'll probably have to swap some cables around. Any ideas on where to find one? I'm not able to find any on ebay (Spain-Europe)

Reply 12 of 45, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote:

Guys, I'm looking everywhere for one of these cables and I can't seem to find any. I know these cables were not standard....and that I'll probably have to swap some cables around. Any ideas on where to find one? I'm not able to find any on ebay (Spain-Europe)

You have no choice but to scrounge for them anyway you can, it is possible to make your own but then you will have to figure out how to make the bracket for the connector.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13 of 45, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:
Pingaloka wrote:

You have no choice but to scrounge for them anyway you can, it is possible to make your own but then you will have to figure out how to make the bracket for the connector.

Yep! this afternoon I've been looking among my used electronics, I think I may do that.

Reply 15 of 45, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

Any reason not to just use the DIN to Mini-DIN adapter on the existing port? That's what I have for my AT boards - never had a problem with it.

You mean one of these?

SlwAPbXl.jpg

Reply 16 of 45, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No - that's D-Sub to MiniDIN; I have one of those that's got cable in the middle for an old Microsoft mouse and sometimes it works, sometimes it locks up the system (depends on the board it seems).

I mean DIN to MiniDIN, like this:
PS2%20male%20to%20AT%20female%20keyboard%20adapter.jpg

Reply 17 of 45, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok guys, time to choose the case, I have 3 options.
I only want the cases, but the guy I'm buying them from only sells them fully equipped

1st case: Like the design, classic 486 case. May need to whiten it a little. (It comes with a 486 DX2 66, price 20 Euros + 10 shipping)
2nd case: This is a 386 case. Its kind of nice....but the design is a bit rough...(AMD AM386DX 40MHZm price 25 euros + 10 shipping)
3rd case: Love it, the design is pure 90's. And its more time adequate to the system I want to build. The downside is that it does not have turbo led. (AMD K6_2 300MHZ 15 euros + 10 shipping)

The case is one of the things I most enjoy choosing....when I have the option of course.
Opinions?

mjMDQLO.png
Co7mfcw.png
wIucGI8.png

Reply 18 of 45, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At those prices I'd grab all three 😀

I like the second case the most. Brings back memories.

My YouTube channel