Common searches

what is with these newer cases

Topic actions

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been looking around for a case for a new system and NOT liking what I am finding. The board is an Asus A7V600, which is is a HUGE board.... I think it may be bigger than standard ATX, I wish I could some Enlight 7250s but those are no longer made - not even available on Ebay. I have used some Antec NSK4482 cases which I like but they are a bit small for such a large board. I was looking at the Antec three hundred but I am thinking the actual motherboard space may not be any bigger. Has anyone used the three hundred and what are your comments? I won't even get started on all the flashy gaming cases - not a fan of those. What does it take to get a a solid, well-built basic case???

Last edited by ncmark on 2014-04-06, 22:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 26, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ncmark wrote:

I have been looking around for a case for a new system and NOT liking what I am finding. The board is an Asus A7V600, which is is a HUGE board.... I think it may be bigger than standard ATX, I wish I could some Enlight 7250s but those are no longer made - not even available on Ebay. I have used some Antec NSK4482 cases which I like but they are a bit small for such a large board. I was looking at the Antec three hundred but I am thinking the actual motherboard space may not be any bigger. Has anyone used the three hundred and what are your comments? I won't even get started on all the flashy gaming cases - not a fan of those. What does it take to get a a solid, well-built basic case???

Knowing that I had a 900 for almost 2 years I can say a 300 will be difficult to work with due to the severe lack of space

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 3 of 26, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
subhuman@xgtx wrote:
ncmark wrote:

Knowing that I had a 900 for almost 2 years I can say a 300 will be difficult to work with due to the severe lack of space

That's kind of what I am afraid of. The dimensions of the 300 are bigger than the 4482 I have - but I am not sure the actual interior space is any larger

Reply 4 of 26, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Asus board you have is ATX (standard 12x9.6) - not so huge. A lot of modern cases target the "mid tower" or "mini tower" design though, especially with the rise of MicroATX and ITX platforms. Just look for a more conventional full-tower - they still do exist, and there are many manufacturers making quality cases these days, although the "scene" has changed since that board was new. The era of the beige monster is over.

Reply 5 of 26, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

How about Cooler Master? I have both the HAF 912 and Elite 330U with full-size ATX boards (MSI Z77A-G43 and Soyo P4I-845PE); no problems with fit and plenty of room to work with inside. If not to your liking, how about the Lian-Li PC-7B plus II.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 6 of 26, by Holering

User metadata

You sure it's not E-ATX (extended ATX)?

I tend to agree about disliking most cases as well. They always seem unprofessional, very gimmicky, full of logos, and brittle. Not only that, everything is black; they don't even bundle beige faceplates with DVD-BD rom drives anymore.

What the heck happened to those caddy-cartridge loading CD-Rom drives anyway? Those were the best! Last time I saw one was on the movie Brainscan. Can you imagine how many scratches would be saved from your BD-DVD-CD roms if they were always kept inside a caddy? You could literally throw it all over the place and the disc would never get scratched. You wouldn't have to worry about rubberbands wearing out on the drive tray, or discs landing on the tray while spinning. Shame how PC hardware can take steps backwards...

Reply 7 of 26, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree and most these days are fragile like they are made out of foil, finding Good cases is a drag. For large boards (4 hole) going with E-atx is the way to go but getting nice ones isn't cheap.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 8 of 26, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

JCB's recommendation for Cooler Master isn't a bad one. When I built my latest system I settled on a Cooler Master Mid-Tower and the thing feels pretty solid for the most part with only three minor exceptions: The little pegs holding the dust screen in place for the main side vent, the screws for screwing in PCIe cards (which I replaced with my own screws) and the plastic clip-ons for easily installing and swapping HDs, which you can just remove and attach HDs the normal way. It has three fans, all of which are very quiet, two of which are 200 mm big, and despite some of the plastic parts on the outside, on the inside there's very little plastic and it's mostly just a very solid and heavy case.

...you get what you pay for though and this case wasn't cheap, though I forget if it broke $100 or not. It's not available anymore and I don't remember the model number, otherwise I'd link a picture. However, Cooler Master's cases range from very basic to very flashy, and they make both mid and full tower cases, as well as EATX, so they have a lot of options. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 9 of 26, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lian Li is the only case brand I use:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp … eTabStoreType=0
They tend to cycle through designs every 18 months, so there's usually no typical go-to model. All-aluminum is very nice looking and light weight.
Also try Silverstone or Fractal Design. Very few gimmicks with these brands.

Reply 10 of 26, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Holering wrote:

You sure it's not E-ATX (extended ATX)?

Yes; both Asus and Newegg show it as 12x9.6. and it isn't overly tall or deep (i.e. it looks ATX) - it's just an ATX board with all 7 expansion slot positions filled (which is somewhat uncommon on modern boards).

EATX is much bigger:
EATX.jpg

Reply 11 of 26, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can live with the short comings and cost Thermaltake cases are great plus I like heavy cases. Roomy enough and durable unlike the foil cases of today.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 14 of 26, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Fractal Design Arc XL is a pretty good full tower. Just got one of these for my Dell Precision 620 transplant, only case that I liked that would fit and wasn't too expensive. Almost a shame I'll be hacking this thing up 🤣.

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/ca … c-series/arc-xl

6ac6224f-a5f5-4906-a7f2-c15b04214838

6f3a96d7-a8fb-4120-a23d-bfa06b488672

e1128fbc-0e55-4893-a971-9d38789ad047

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 16 of 26, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They really don't make traditional desktop cases anymore as most of the world does not want a loud box sucking up desktop space. I know I don't.

You might be better served looking at the HTPC Media Center cases over at NewEgg. They are almost (but, not quite) like desktop cases of old. You won't find any beige.

Otherwise, scan ebay for old dead desktop rigs and repurpose the old cases if that suits you better.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 17 of 26, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why would you even place it on your desktop in the first place?
Not only is it more natural for components as newer graphics cards weight a up to 1kg or more, but it is also more neater to service.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 18 of 26, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

Is there any high quality desktop form pc casing in this world today?
All i see are shit quality towers.

http://www.lian-li.com/en/

Your long search is over. Although, I don't know if they ship to siberia. I bought one of these: http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v2110/ in 2001 and I still use it to this day. (slightly different model, but same overall specs) Expensive! but well worth the investment. Also comes in Silver and some cases red.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 19 of 26, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
Stojke wrote:

Is there any high quality desktop form pc casing in this world today?
All i see are shit quality towers.

http://www.lian-li.com/en/

Your long search is over. Although, I don't know if they ship to siberia. I bought one of these: http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v2110/ in 2001 and I still use it to this day. (slightly different model, but same overall specs) Expensive! but well worth the investment. Also comes in Silver and some cases red.

They've had blue in the past as well. 😀

Silverstone is another a very good option - equivalent build quality, different styling.