VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Kind of in unfamiliar territory and hoping for answers to some basic questions. Sorry if this has been asked and answered- I did not get results in the forum to my search query.

I would like to use a pair of Diamond Monster Voodoo 2 cards in SLI mode but the memory configuration is not equal between the cards. One is a 12MB card and the other is only 8MB- the cards appear to be completely functional so far as I can tell, they were listed (jointly I suppose) by the DxDiag tool as being adapter two- and passed the dxdiag tests ok.

If I install these cards with the 8MB card being first in line, would that mitigate the memory mis-match. The 8MB card would feed the 12MB card. The thought being that the less capable card would set the pace so to speak. Is there a problem with that, or do I absolutely need a driver set that supports "mis-matched cards" in SLI in order for it to work correctly?

Does the card mis-match that I have read about refer actually to the memory configuration, the manufacturer, or both? Maybe the answer should be plain as day, I just don't recall seeing the answer actually laid out in plain language.

I had these set up in SLI once before for a short time and Windows 98se did not complain- other issues caused me to remove them from my Windows 98 box and go with a stand alone Geforce ti-4200 but while installed- both cards were recognized and showed up in device manager as working correctly after installing the Diamond drivers- but just one showed up in the video properties applet. Is that normal?

I have had no experience with accelerator cards previous to this and it did not occur to me to question that the Diamond Applet did not specify two cards on board in SLI mode. It simply showed screens to allow adjusting various settings and applying the settings to DOS. Should it have stated information anywhere about there being two cards in SLI mode at all?

Thanks for any light you can shed- my wife says that I hate to ask for directions even when I am lost so the asking for help is a bit new for me. I hope my questions are not too lame.

Last edited by JoeCorrado on 2014-04-10, 16:12. Edited 1 time in total.

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 1 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi Joe! My understanding is that 'mismatched cards' in this context means 'different manufacturers' - back in the day they had to be the same brand, which was an intentional limitation of the driver I presume.

The FastVoodoo2 driver allows mismatched cards and I use this, it works well. My understanding is that if you use an 8MB and a 12MB then - regardless of how you install them - the driver will simply treat the setup like 2 X 8MB cards.

The 'system info' function that comes with FastVoodoo2 will tell you what memory it's configured.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 10, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Hi Joe! My understanding is that 'mismatched cards' in this context means 'different manufacturers' - back in the day they had to be the same brand, which was an intentional limitation of the driver I presume.

The FastVoodoo2 driver allows mismatched cards and I use this, it works well. My understanding is that if you use an 8MB and a 12MB then - regardless of how you install them - the driver will simply treat the setup like 2 X 8MB cards.

The 'system info' function that comes with FastVoodoo2 will tell you what memory it's configured.

Exactly.

From FastVoodoo2 readme:

What's it?
----------

FastVoodoo2 4.6 is a device driver that supports 3dfx Voodoo2 based cards in Windows 95/98/98SE/ME
environments, adding compatibility for Voodoo2 SLI done by mismatched cards. We remember that
mismatched means two no same manufacturer boards go to make up your Voodoo2 SLI setup: for example
one arrives from Creative and one from Diamond.

As far as I remember, only exactly identical Voodoo 2 cards were guaranteed to work in SLI at first. That included manufacturer, memory configuration, even revision. However, as Voodoo 2 left the top segment of the market, new drivers became available that allowed different cards of the same manufacturer to work in SLI.

Considering 8MB and 12MB cards paired together, they'll work as 2 8MB cards. That's because each of them renders exactly half of the scene (even or odd lines).

Reply 3 of 10, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Thanks badmojo for the response.

Wasn't sure about what the "mis-matched" was referring to for sure and was thinking I might need to replace one of the cards. It's good to know that I won't need to after all! I have read the readme file for the FastVoodoo2 drivers, and they appear to be fairly mature- and even come with lots of extra utilities and tweak options. I will definitively be giving them a try.

I have a Voodoo 1 in my Windows 95 machine next to a Matrox G200 right now, and I would like to replace the Voodoo 1 with these cards. I think that these two in SLI should really do well with glide games through to the 1998 time frame -

Using a P2 233mhz processor, running games that ask for no more than roughly a 166mhz requirement.

Last edited by JoeCorrado on 2014-04-07, 05:14. Edited 1 time in total.

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 4 of 10, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

As far as I remember, only exactly identical Voodoo 2 cards were guaranteed to work in SLI at first. That included manufacturer, memory configuration, even revision. However, as Voodoo 2 left the top segment of the market, new drivers became available that allowed different cards of the same manufacturer to work in SLI.

Considering 8MB and 12MB cards paired together, they'll work as 2 8MB cards. That's because each of them renders exactly half of the scene (even or odd lines).

I plan to use the final release of the FastVoodoo2 drivers and am looking forward to seeing how well they perform. From the list of revisions, and for the time they were actively being improved upon, they look like they should be fairly stable. I read the release notes but missed the quote about manufacturers. Thanks!

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 5 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JoeCorrado wrote:

I have a Voodoo 1 in my Windows 95 machine next to a Matrox G200 right now, and I would like to replace the Voodoo 1 with these cards. I think that these two in SLI should really do well with glide games through to the 1998 time frame -

Using a P2 233mhz processor, running games that ask for no more than roughly a 166mhz requirement.

Yeah I'm no expert in these matters but I think SLI Voodoos might be overkill for a 233MHZ machine? It wouldn't hurt I guess, although 2 would produce more heat and (I think) introduce visible scanlines.

I use my SLI setup with a PIII 1GHz and 1 Voodoo2 in my Pentium 166.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had an SLI going with one faulty card (faulty memory). It would only work up to 640 x 480 because that was the max. resolution of the faulty card:)

That was with official Diamond drivers as well as those FastVoodoo2.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 10, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Installed these in SLI and am using the FastVoodoo2 4.6 drivers.

The link below shows a screen capture of the info reported by FV2... this correct for the setup?? I have an 8mb and a 12mb in SLI.
I am able to run Q2 at 800x600 full screen and it looks good, runs smooth.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9d49tw3eh6zpu6/V2.gif

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 8 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup that looks fine!

Swapping that 8MB for a 12MB card will allow you to run 1024 x 768.

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 10, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yup that looks fine!

Swapping that 8MB for a 12MB card will allow you to run 1024 x 768.

Thanks so much for the response Mau1wurf1977. Your always willing to share your knowledge and it is appreciated! I will be keeping my eye open for a 12MB card at a good price to upgrade- but till then, I am happy.

BTW, I snagged a 64MB Voodoo 5 today and will be putting it into my Windows 98 system. 😀 It just makes better sense than having the G4 ti-4200 in there with a P3 600MHZ... I think the GPU was outpacing the CPU.

Thanks again!

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 10 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always use Geforce cards because the drivers are easy to get a hold off, the cards are cheap and plenty full and in general I never had any issues. We aware with Matrox cards and Vodooo 2. There is some bug that causes the Voodoo 2 driver to get stuck. Was very frustrating to sort it out and it was only because of a forum member who pointed me in the right direction 😀

My YouTube channel