VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it my imagination or are we getting a bit chaotic with where people post stuff, thinking mainly about:

Milliways
System Specs
Marvin

For example threads about real or prospective builds could all go into system specs?

And we seem to have threads about old hardware popping up in marvin.

tbh I'd just delete posts in the wrong place as imho it's out of hand. Rather than ask mods to keep shifting stuff.

/rantoff

Edit: oops, meant milliways not Marvin 😜

Last edited by ratfink on 2014-04-10, 17:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Marvin is regarding discussions of old hardware. The emulation of these hardware is discussed in PC Emulation.

System Specs is usually about completed (retro) systems and flashing them to the world. 😁

Now, Milliways is a bit generic that covers many things and seems to blur the divisions. Since this section deals with advice, discussions of old hardware also frequently seem to fall here. By right, old hardware is best discussed in Marvin.
There are a number of threads seen on the Milliways page today that are supposed to be in Marvin.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 2 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If its random discussion it can be about anything. Thats what Milliways is for.
Marvin on the other hand is only about hardware and if people want serious discussions should post there.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I try to encourage people, especially newbies, to post in the proper forum. I view VOGONS as very useful and valuable database. Having posts in the wrong forum is like putting files in the wrong drawer. It needlessly complicates looking specific information when so much is misfiled. I know that many here want to be helpful, but keeping a misplaced thread alive in the wrong forum only exacerbates this, unless a mod finds it and moves it to its proper forum.

Speaking of misplaced threads, there is the long running PCEm thread in "Release Announcements" that should be in the "PC Emulation".

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unless I am mistaken, the word "random" in Milliways description was not intended to mean "can be anything, including that which is also covered in other subforums" but intended to mean "anything that doesn't fit better elsewhere" or "off-topic to all other subforums", in case that helps.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 9, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm a PC guy but every once in awhile I have a mac question though where to post them can be confusing. Technically I guess they should go in the Marvin forum but no one ever talks about mac related topics there. Also the acual mac forum is apparently only about mac emulation even though a few topics there have little or nothing to do with emulation.

Reply 6 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nothing says that Marvin can't include non-PC hardware. It is about vintage hardware. Why not Macs, Amigas, Apples, Ataris, C64s, consoles, etc.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 9, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

I try to encourage people, especially newbies, to post in the proper forum. I view VOGONS as very useful and valuable database. Having posts in the wrong forum is like putting files in the wrong drawer. It needlessly complicates looking specific information when so much is misfiled. I know that many here want to be helpful, but keeping a misplaced thread alive in the wrong forum only exacerbates this, unless a mod finds it and moves it to its proper forum.

They may be moved, but a copy of those threads still stays in whatever subforum they were posted in originally.

Reply 8 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Depending on whether the mod unchecks a mark or not 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

They may be moved, but a copy of those threads still stays in whatever subforum they were posted in originally.

Those are just redirects, not copies. As such they can never be bumped and will eventually be buried by newer threads.