VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 46, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Damn, guess I'll have to play this sometime then. Your words and this review have talked me into it.

I watched most of that video, warning for folks planning on playing the game, there are some minor spoilers in terms of villain come-uppance. 😀
The video is pretty representative of the gameplay and overall level of brutality in the game. This is not a game for squeamish folks, although the level of gibbage
is less than say, Fallout 3 where you routinely blow dudes' lower jaws off or can shoot off limbs. You will have that happen in Wolfenstein but generally only from rocket or some other explosive.

And I have to say, apparently this guy didn't explore his Laserkraftwerk rifle very much, that is easily the most useful weapon in the game once you finally unlock all its upgrades. I could play through the game using only that, a silenced pistol and an ample supply of tesla grenades. Realistically you would probably want to thrown an assault rifle in as backup for when the LKW runs out of ammo, while it will recharge on its own and there are usually recharging stations throughout a level, it can be a tricky thing to pull off in combat. But if the LWK had a faster recharge rate and/or 800 shot capacity, it would easily be a very unbalancing element, it is that damn good.
They struck a nice compromise between having an uber weapon that does nearly everything you need to finding a way to gimp it just enough that the game doesn't become a total cakewalk. And you won't get the best upgrades until nearly the very end of the game, anyway. Based on sheer frequency of ammo drops, you're best off with a pistol and assault rifle combo for most of the game, and I would really think twice about using that tesla grenade if you think you might need it later (you probably will find that there is a Panzer Hund or Giant F*cking Robot bearing down on you just when you used your last tesla grenade on a trooper in full riot gear).

Overall this is an absolutely brilliant game, well worth the price and if you have to wait for a 50% off sale, don't hesitate to pick it up.

Last edited by snorg on 2014-06-29, 03:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 41 of 46, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And in case I haven't raved enough about this game, I can't explain the sheer level of malevolent glee I experienced running around a level doing stealth takedowns, stabbing guys in the throat. If it weren't for the mechanized or more fully armored units, you could probably do the entire game (minus boss battles) in stealth mode, if you were patient enough.

And if you still needed more convincing, this review is coming from someone who, as a rule, HATES FPS games. I find most of them boring or derivative. Maybe I just haven't played one in so long that I was able to come to this one with new eyes, not sure.

Also, you don't need to worry about enemy AI, either. AI is really good, with a few minor exceptions. I occasionally would take down someone with a thrown knife just meters away from his comrade that is looking right at him, or someone would round the bend just as the guy is falling down with a knife in his throat. However, this would not always elicit a response, sometimes the other guy just stands there like "oh, nothing going on here". Until you stab him in the face, that is 😀
This is a minor complaint, though, as this doesn't always happen and in general the AI is very good, enemy soldiers will shoot-strafe, duck for cover, hold their rifle up from BEHIND cover to shoot at you, wait for you to think everyone is dead and then when you step into the clear start shooting at you...the list goes on.

Reply 42 of 46, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last post about this and then I will shut up.

FYI - the game is absolutely brutal in certain spots as far as difficulty, on "Bring it On" level and above.
The bridge sequence, the train depot sequence and the London Monitor battle in particular were really difficult.
Also, I had finally gotten past the courtyard in Deathshead's castle and was on my way to the next area, you have to open this garage door looking thing. I didn't open it all the way and took too long getting past and it crushed my head, after an hour trying to get past the same spot and before I got to the next check point. At that point I think I briefly dropped the difficulty to "Can I play Daddy?" level, I was so frustrated.

In fact, if I had any complaint at all with the game it is the checkpoint save system, it will result in a lot of frustration on the higher difficulty settings. I will probably replay the game on Death Incarnate/Uber mode at some point, and there is an enigma code for an "ironman" no-saves allowed mode, where if you get killed that's it. Not sure I'm up for that, I think you would have to have the game memorized to pull it off.

Reply 43 of 46, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whoa snorg! 😀

Yeah i really liked the game too. A pleasant surprise.

DosFreak wrote:

Probably not the games fault but I couldn't enable vsync in the game itself but had to use the Nvidia Control Panel. The tearing in this game bothered me more than normal until I enabled it.

I think on NV the game does adaptive vsync. This means when the game isn't pulling 60fps it disables vsync. Rage had two vsync settings.

I've run it on AMD too and vsync works normally there.

Reply 44 of 46, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After the turd that was Wolf 2009, I didn't expect much but purchased it anyway (as I thought I would).

I'm...pleasantly surprised. It's actually very well done. If you like the Wolf franchise, you won't regret buying it. Now if only it had MP...

Reply 45 of 46, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well guys/gals: Wolfenstein: New Order is currently on sale for $29.99. So if you want it, now is a great time to get it. If I had known it was going to go on sale this soon I might have waited 🙁

But if you were on the fence about it, go take advantage of the deal while you can, I think it's only on for 8 hours or something.

Reply 46 of 46, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been playing it on the highest graphics settings and have to say its pretty good!
I don't normally like FPS games but it's better than most of the others I have played.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=