Common searches

2000 VS XP

Topic actions

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am building an machine for my Voodoo 5 5500.
After some time of gathering parts, and failing (dead ASUS board), i have finally managed to collect all the pieces i wanted.

It consists of:
MSI K7D Master
AMD AMSN2600KT3C x2 (Athlon MP 2600+)
MT36VDDT12872G-265C2 x2 (2GB DDR1 ECC 266MHz)
3DFX Voodoo 5 5500
Adaptec AAR-1420SA (4x SATA 2 RAID)
Audigy 1 Platinum PRO
Hoontech YMF-754
NEC USB 2.0 addon

Still to decide on hard drives, fans, casing and power supply.

I want to play Unreal Tournament 99 and Half Life with GLide.
So, i like Windows 2000, its awesome, but XP is functional. I am guessing both things will work on any of those systems, but which is really the better choice?
I will probably play some other games and mess around with SW1000XG in this PC.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 18, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WinXp of course.
The only trouble is V5 drivers (there is no retail Xp drivers, only w2k), but w2k drivers are Xp compatible after you set all related services to the kernel level. I use this method for my Voodoo2.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 18, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm runnig a 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 under XP at the moment on my PIII, it seems to be working fine so far, Serious Sam 1&2, Heavy metal FAKK2, Driver etc.
I'm using the AmigaMerlin V3.1-R11 WinXP/Win2K drivers from here:http://www.falconfly.de/vsa100.htm
hope this helps.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 3 of 18, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a k7d I have been playing with on and off. it worked well as I recall with a voodoo 3 and a santa cruz, in 2000.

today I installed an Audigy 2, which would only work in the middle pci slot [nor did it work in the pci-x slot I tried - at least, doing so caused windows to detect a system interrupt controller].

even after installing the latest creative drivers, I got reboots during installation of 3dmark2001se.

elsewhere on vogons I have seen references to problems with creative drivers and this board in 2000, though luckybob ran it with an Audigy I think [not sure what os he used]. i'm going back to my santa cruz [love that card anyway].

prior to this I found problems with this motherboard in Linux, and occasionally [too often] I need to reseat the ram.

personally i'm sticking with a single cpu system for voodoo5 gaming, but that's partly cos this system is also dan noisy with 6500rpm dynatron fans. haven't got round to finding anything else yet, but had been considering some vintage water cooling. I only have one 462 w/c system though; guess I could go with a mixed cooling system of one water, one air.

I guess you saw cloudschatze's hilarious posts on the sw1000xg 🤣.

Reply 4 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm i see.
Well, since i went to all this trouble of getting the CPUs, Memory, V5, i am guessing i want to do it with dual CPU 😀
I waited for 5 months for the CPUs from Slovenia.

I also have Santa Cruz, is it EAX compatible?
Well, this is just the started idea any way, who knows what will i end up with, i even bought an Adaptec AAR-2400A (ATA RAID Awww yis)

I didn't read the posts on SW1000XG, can you link me? 😀

Reply 5 of 18, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the sw1000xg thread I was referring to:

x

Santa Cruz is EAX compatible [I don't know which level of EAX] but apparently it does it in software and does not have hardware EAX support.

Reply 8 of 18, by Holering

User metadata

Windows 2k pro. Xp doesn't have official 3dfx drivers, is bloated, larger footprint, and a lot more work to make fast-lean (it'll still have more bloat). Seem to remember less problems-patch requirements with 2k too (and it has official 3dfx drivers).  Personally would go with 9x OS for glide games (don't think DOS titles run right on 2k).

Reply 10 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So...... it's ME then? 😀
I remember trying to replicate the Win2K theme in Win98 before Win2k had an official release so I went by with very compressed screenshots so my colors were off from sampling colors off of JPEG artifacts. And at the time, the "Windows 2000 theme" found is one crappy deluded thing.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 18, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh. It comes with that Windows 98SE Service Pack 2.1a that I sometimes install.

I do occasionally install ME but it's hard for me to think up a reason to bother with it. It mostly brings additional annoyances. It's an interesting historical curiosity and that's about all.

So typically I use 98SE or XP.

Reply 12 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

So...... it's ME then? 😀

Better to use 98SE and then install 98SE2ME. You get all the good stuff from ME added to your 98SE installation without sacrificing DOS compatibility.

Reply 13 of 18, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the specs given, I would say Windows 2000 Pro for sure because both 98 and XP are going to have issues with those specs, and ME doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. :P

98: Can't handle more than 512 MB of RAM properly, USB 2.0 can be problematic to get working, can't utilize dual CPUs.

XP: Memory/HD hog, slower than 2K as an OS, no "official" 3dfx drivers, Pro version minimum for dual CPU support.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 14 of 18, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can't run Windows 9x (including ME) for dual-CPU; it can only do a single CPU. For dual CPU support with this system your options are either XP Pro or 2000 Pro (XP Home won't support SMP; there's no "higher" versions of XP beyond Pro, and the "higher" versions of 2000 won't do you any good).

I'd probably let it come down to how you feel about third-party drivers for the 3dfx card, and how much updating you want to do - the later service packs for XP will contain much newer updates/versions of various Microsoft applications compared to Windows 2000 (especially if you don't have a Service Pack 4 image), so depending on what you want/need from the system software-wise, it may or may not be faster to go with XP. As far as "XP is so bloated and terrible" - my recent XP SP2 install on a P4 will sit on the desktop on 120MB of RAM running all of its drivers; it has 1GB of memory - sure it isn't DSL or Puppy, but that's perfectly acceptable in my opinion.

Reply 16 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

XP in theory is supposed to be faster than 2000, at least with more than 128 MB of RAM; see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457057.aspx .

In practice XP SP3 just isn't as responsive on my 512 MB system and I've never quite been able to figure out exactly why. (I'd like to know if there have been definitive performance comparisons between SP2 and SP3.)

Oh, and apparently WinFLP has SMP support.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamen … _for_Legacy_PCs
http://www.allquests.com/question/1242613/SMP … Legacy-PCs.html

Of course, for the purpose of running Unreal Tournament 99 and Half-Life on a legacy PC, it makes no sense not to use Windows 98 and it is pointless to use something else just because your motherboard has two CPUs!!!

Reply 17 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make that 1 CPU 😀
The second socket killed one of my CPUs and i am not gonna test it again 😁

Thanks for a lot of nice info guys! I will try W98 and W2000. I really like W2000.

Reply 18 of 18, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
XP in theory is supposed to be faster than 2000, at least with more than 128 MB of RAM; see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l […]
Show full quote

XP in theory is supposed to be faster than 2000, at least with more than 128 MB of RAM; see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457057.aspx .

In practice XP SP3 just isn't as responsive on my 512 MB system and I've never quite been able to figure out exactly why. (I'd like to know if there have been definitive performance comparisons between SP2 and SP3.)

Oh, and apparently WinFLP has SMP support.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamen … _for_Legacy_PCs
http://www.allquests.com/question/1242613/SMP … Legacy-PCs.html

Of course, for the purpose of running Unreal Tournament 99 and Half-Life on a legacy PC, it makes no sense not to use Windows 98 and it is pointless to use something else just because your motherboard has two CPUs!!!

A lot of UT servers won't let you play unless you download this anti-cheat plugin that only works on Win2k on up.