VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Holering

User metadata

Windows Server 2003 and/or XP 64-bit compatible with Directx11?

Reply 4 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows XP x86 and x64 can both go up to DirectX 9.0c.
DirectX 10 is restricted to Windows Vista or 7 or later, for some reason.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 15, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speaking as an XP x64 user, there is no DX11 support on this OS. Micro$oft intentionally limited DX10/11 to Vista/7/8 to encourage people to "upgrade" from XP. 🤣

Reply 6 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And don't download anything that claims to add DX10 support to XP. There was a lot of malware going around at the time that claimed to do this. I would expect a resurgence in XP malware now that it has gone out of support and won't be receiving any more security updates.

Reply 7 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Currently the only way you are going to be able to get XP/2003 to run DX11 is by using Windows 8 in a VM using WARP10 (software DX emulation)

It's pretty much unusable tho so no point.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 15, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To reiterate: no; you cannot run anything higher than DirectX 9 on anything lower than Windows Vista. And agreed on not downloading anything that claims to bring the feature - likely to be a trojan or similar garbage hoping to prey on folks.

In general if you're wanting DirectX 10+ (11 is a superset of 10; there are few applications that actually require strict DX11 support) I don't see any reason not to be using Windows 7 or 8 64-bit for that platform. If that's problematic, most of those games also exist for PlayStation 3 or 4, or Xbox360 or One.

Reply 10 of 15, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Direct3D 10 and 11 are dependant on the new display system introduced in Vista (WDDM). Adding D3D10/11 support to Windows XP would mean a near ground-up re-implementation. Not worth the effort for Microsoft, not worth it for the people writing the display drivers, not worth it for anyone.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 11 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

a VM using WARP10 (software DX emulation)

Is there an official website for that somewhere? Google doesn't seem to get me very far.

WineD3D suggests it might one day allow DirectX 10 on platforms earlier than Vista, but that sounds about as likely as cities on the moon at this point.

Reply 13 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There actually was someone messing around with hacking DirectX 10 for WinXP. But rather than being a virus, it was a colossal hack, and missing the important functional parts (because to do the rest would have been impossible for someone who isn't Microsoft). Alky-Project, if I remember right. It's only the follow-up repacks that include viruses/malware.

Anyhow, as has been said earlier, any hacks you find won't work.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In all honesty, I never really saw the big attraction of DX11 (or DX10 for that matter)when it came out.Games still supported DX9 rendering, and when you ran the DX9 renderer,the games would double the FPS in many cases than if you ran them with DX11 support turned on and the "improved" visuals are barely noticeable if you're playing a fast paced game like a racer where things are whizzing by so quickly that your eye never gets a chance to lock onto anything for more than a tiny fraction of a second. There are vids on Youtube showing side by side comparisons of some popular games running in DX9 on the left and DX11 on the right with FRAPS displaying the framerates and I'd much rather play in DX9 and give up some of the eye candy that only bogs down the system and doesn't deliver much additional value to the game. Playing on a huge monitor or multiple monitors only makes it worse because in addition to all the extra details that DX9 doesn't support, you now have thousands of additional pixels that have to constantly be redrawn, bogging down the system even more in DX11. Even the most powerful video cards of the day would stress out when under that much of a load.