Common searches

Ripping midi tracks from a game

Topic actions

First post, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guy's,

I pulled out an old CD-ROM of a game called Command Adventure: Starship yesterday and remembered why I kept it. The game was not very good, but the soundtrack was really fun sounding (with synth fanfare and whatnot). I've since gone to all the major video game midi sites and can't find the soundtrack for this game. I was able to find a youtube vid somebody just put up a while back of the complete soundtrack, so the files must be out there. Anyway, the native midi's are not on the CD, so they must be compiled in one of the data files or exe's. Does anybody know enough about this game to tell me where to look so that I can extract them?

Reply 1 of 38, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MIDI tracks (XMI format) are located in XMI folder, Adlib versions have .adl extensions, Roland ones have .rld extensions. Rename wanted tracks to .xmi and enjoy.

Here's one of XMI tracks (comadven.adl) played in Dosbox.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 2 of 38, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Must have been my video you found 😀 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1vHd6WVtSo
I never played this game when i bought it in early 1990's... it was not until last year i actually tried it (in dosbox) and was stunned by the amazing music. I have recordings of the SB16 music also but not uploaded to youtube 😀

Reply 7 of 38, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With this game so did it sound better than SC55 imho, it is not always the case though. I can record some examples from other games if anybody wants to hear?

Reply 9 of 38, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stefan_L, you said here that Kawai GMega is one of the worst GM modules you have. What are the best of your modules then?

Reply 10 of 38, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The best module is almost always the one that the artist used when doing the music wich would mean Roland SC-55... but besides that so do i like Yamaha TG300 and Yamaha MU10... well most MU-modules are pretty good at GM, they have a bit soft sound though.

Reply 11 of 38, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the subject of ripped game soundtracks, is there any source for *quality* game midis?
I know of Mirsoft but the soundtracks there are a hit-and-miss in terms of quality...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 38, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I just rip (and, if necessary, convert and/or edit) PC game music myself. The result is a good-sized collection (over 2,500 game midis 😀 ). Only 5% are third-party downloads and no, I don't have music from every single PC game in existence (that would be too unwieldy to manage properly 🤣 ).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 14 of 38, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stefan_L wrote:

By "midis" you mean SMF files?

I mean .mid files that can be played easily 😊

@ JayCeeBee64

share!!!!! 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 38, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have collected about 5000 proprietary format MIDI files (mostly XMI and small number of HMI and HMP), all of which I ripped from games myself. All sound banks, patches etc. needed for correct playback are present.

Reply 16 of 38, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bristlehog wrote:

I have collected about 5000 proprietary format MIDI files (mostly XMI and small number of HMI and HMP), all of which I ripped from games myself. All sound banks, patches etc. needed for correct playback are present.

can you play them with a real device or you need an player that emulates one?

Reply 17 of 38, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

can you play them with a real device or you need an player that emulates one?

They can be played both ways. In DOS with real hardware I can play XMI with my PX player or Miles players (XPLAY, XMIPLAY, XP32), HMIs and HMPs with HMI SOS setup program. In Windows I can use foobar2000, winamp or xmplay to play using emulation.

Reply 18 of 38, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
keropi wrote:

@ JayCeeBee64

share!!!!! 😀

No problem. Try these two out first:

Duke Nukem 2 game music

Traffic Department 2192 game music

Let me know what you think 😀

@bristlehog

Wow, that's quite a collection! Way more than what I have (about 520 in XMI, HMP & HMI combined). And yes, your PX player is just what I was looking for to play XMI files through my SBPRO2 OPL3 synth in DOS - I'm now collecting all the needed GTL files for proper playback (and do some audio recordings as well 😁 ).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 19 of 38, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ awesome, gonna dl them when I get back home where the goodies are 😁 thanks!