VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fedepede04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do not know if there is such a thread, or I'm posting it the right place.

Hi All
my name is Peter Jørgensen, i nearly always use fedepede04 on the net...
i got my first compute around 1982, and at that time there was not many games, so you had to make your owns games. this got me interested in programming.
after that computer i got a Spectravideo SV318, it was the forerunner to the MSX and almost identical, and then i got the spectravideo SV728, (spectravideo first MSX computer).
and then i was time to move on, i bought an Atari 520 STfm.
around 1991 I borrowed 386SX and that was my first touch with the PC and DOS. and then i had to return the sx386 i bought my first PC a 486DX 33Mhz with Opti local Bus.

I have programmed some different stuff for the pc, (most of it is gone now due to numerous HD-crashes), like small music program, opl3 driver for smf-player, master player, master player for windows 95, and some small games. but slowly the windows platform kill my I desire to code on PCs, and i stop coding for 11 years, when i lost my job nearly 4 years ago, i bought an Atari ST, and started coding again, but i found out that I need some tools , I decided that I would do them on PCs,
so i started coding on the pc and the last 3 years, i have recode one program and make 2 new programs for the PCs.
YM2149 Emulator / tracker
Atari ST Drawing Program
Power-FM a 16 track, 32 poly fm tracker, inspired by the opl3 chip, but it is not compatible with the opl3.

i have thrown out most of my old hardware, i still have a couple of video capture card, 2 Ym724 sound card and also a Yamaha SW60 XG sound card, but i am thinking of finding an old P3 or a P4 so i can have a Dos Machin, no matter how good Doxbox have become, i still no mach for the real thing.
i still think that many of the best games ever made for computers was some of the old dos games, and also the beginning win95-98 era

ok this end it for me, i would also just introduce myself os you had an idea of who i am..😀
Good Weekend to all
Peter

Reply 2 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

welcome aboard!!! you'll fit just perfect with the rest of us 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 15, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welcome to you, Peter Jørgensen.

Long live DOS! Death to Windows! - That was my feeling back in the day. I was a "reluctant convert" to the modern OS you might say. More like kicking and screaming was more like it.

Eventually, I went along... but I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the old days! Funny thing is, that that same soft spot has grown to include not only DOS, but Windows 95, 98, and even XP. Weird how it got to be that way. 😕

Anyway- Long live the old stuff!! A sentiment that is shared by many of us here at VOGONS. You have certainly come to the right place! 😎

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 6 of 15, by fedepede04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks 😀

i took also pretty long time before i scrap the dos from my system, i think it was first when i move from win98 to win2k, and i do remember if i should change from win98 but i got some new hardware that would not run properly under win98, and i also remember having doubt doing it, and my biggest lost was that i could not play Mech-Warrior 3 any more 🤣.

but today i think that the best Windows ever made was the win2k, and again I first scrap that, then i got hardware problems again 😀
so the day then Vista was release i bought my first Win XP OS disk 🤣,

just a side note today i am running win8 and after some tuning, Then I'm actual like it, it kind of remind me of w2k in not having all of the blink blink.

for me it was losing my job that really started me down the retro way, sometime i think that i am seeking back to where life was more simple, where computer was new, and new stuff was new stuff, not just the same type of game that have been made a 1000 time before.

i think that was my main reason why i bought my Atari ST, but the last couple of months, i have just started to think that many of the best games in the history of computer games was for DOS.
a couple of my favourites was.

Master Of Orion : play that game so much that i dream of in in the night, and in my dream when moving my fleet they move they same way as in the game..

Mechwarrior 2 merc : I loved all of the mech games and still have the all 😀

UFO : it was so spooky to move around on the map

Star Control 2 : On master of Orion and Star Control, i use to put the wildest trance on my stereo when I was playing, to give the Ultimate Space Experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToTbhkY_CzQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50dngX7mb8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjCvyp7Xgmk

i know that they not so wild any more but they where in 93, those 3 tune was on a CD call OHM4000.

yesterday i bought a original xbox for 20€,(My first)
I can see that it is softmoded, but other than that i am so LOST here 😀

long live the old stuff, even though it takes up a lot space 😁
and i think that i will enjoy being here, thanks again for the welcoming

/Peter

JoeCorrado wrote:
Welcome to you, Peter Jørgensen. […]
Show full quote

Long live DOS! Death to Windows! - That was my feeling back in the day. I was a "reluctant convert" to the modern OS you might say. More like kicking and screaming was more like it.

Eventually, I went along... but I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the old days! Funny thing is, that that same soft spot has grown to include not only DOS, but Windows 95, 98, and even XP. Weird how it got to be that way. 😕

Anyway- Long live the old stuff!! A sentiment that is shared by many of us here at VOGONS. You have certainly come to the right place! 😎

Reply 8 of 15, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JoeCorrado wrote:
Welcome to you, Peter Jørgensen. […]
Show full quote

Joe, I could not have said it better myself. Except Win98 was where I dug in my heels and said "this far and no further" - you can keep your XP bloatware with its product activation.

Reply 9 of 15, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, didn't have time to read the whole first post, but had a. brief glance. All I can say is that you've come to the right place. Welcome!

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 10 of 15, by fedepede04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Malik wrote:

Sorry, didn't have time to read the whole first post, but had a. brief glance. All I can say is that you've come to the right place. Welcome!

Thanks, and people seem very friendly here, so i think that i will get a great time here 😀

Reply 11 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Eventually, I went along... but I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the old days! Funny thing is, that that same soft spot has grown to include not only DOS, but Windows 95, 98, and even XP. Weird how it got to be that way.

I still can't accept 95, 98 or XP. NT4 and Windows 3.x are where I draw the line with MS GUIs.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 15, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I still can't accept 95, 98 or XP. NT4 and Windows 3.x are where I draw the line with MS GUIs.

You mean NT 3.5? NT4 is based on Win95 UI.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 15 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello 😀 your story sounds like mine. When my job become terrible I escaped back to the good old days and picked up a few old hobbies again. And its surprising how much you have to re-learn stuff you are sure you knew, but also how much you remember!
I also have a xbox, I was never really interested in consoles but can I recommend XBMC, its makes it 100% more useful