VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The story goes that Interceptor purchased 3D Realms, and has subsequently released a bunch of WIP and unreleased assets:

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/7366-duke3d-sw- … agold-material/

Thanks to RoughRobert on ASSEMbler Games. http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthre … -to-be-released

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's uber cool, here's hoping we get these juicy betas and early stuff 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrFlibble wrote:

It's officially promised that the beta stuff will be made public through the revamped 3DR website.

Will the source codes be made public, too? It would be nice if someone would be allowed to complete some of those uncompleted projects that never lived long enough to be released.

Reply 6 of 12, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess this depends on the licensing terms of each game in question. There is probably no harm in making the source of pre-release Duke NUkem 3D or Shadow Warrior builds, but it's very unlikely that someone would be allowed to use the assets of the cancelled Duke Nukem Forever side-scroller to create a new game, as the DN franchise is owned by Gearbox now, and 3DR cannot make any new games (or allow a third party to create new games) about Duke Nukem.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 9 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Well, that explains why I couldn't find it using terms like Apogee and 3D Realms... 😒

D'oh!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10 of 12, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

If they have the idtech2-era DNF code, can snippets of the engine still be released? Engine isn't necessarily tied to content and Quake2's source was GPLed so this is probably possible with a little negotiation for a data-less release. It's more legally possible for that than any of the Unreal incarnations of DNF.

Particularly interested in their comically overdone lens flare and pixel buffer implementations, in ref_gl. 😀 I wonder if ref_soft recieved any updates as well, despite never had a screenshot released of that.

You can ask about this in the Duke4.net forums - Frederik Schreiber is very open to communication and has indeed reached out to Bethesda to ask about the pre-release materials of Prey that he has found in 3DR archives.

Also I hope you don't mind, I asked him about your Dave3D and Ling projects and he replied that at least he personally, and as the head of 3DR, approves them, however Gearbox must also be asked for permission as well.

Reply 11 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why should Gearbox be asked about permission to use GPL sources? That's not how licensing under the GPL works. The thing is, I should've been allowed to make it without anyone's approval or permission - If otherwise, then that's something someone should rally FSF and EFF about on them, because they're violating the GPL by having their release as use restricted sue-bait. I was told to stop, and I didn't think it was worth fighting so I complied. I did not want this to become my lingering problem. Unfortunately you decided to take the annoying route to persist this further.

And no, I will never ever resume them, and frankly i'm offended you asked about those projects assuming my behalf, so make this a solid NEVER, since asking about it implies that it's still being worked on COMPLETELY AGAINST MY ACKNOWLEDGEMENT TO CEASE & DESIST and since permission is apparently required, it's still a big legal minefield. "Duke3D content"? Really? You officially have burned the bridge. Now thanks to this misinformation I have to DESTROY THE PROJECTS COMPLETELY since Frederic is no better than Siegler at understanding what an open source content project is supposed to be, assuming it's a derivative of copyrighted work which greatly offends me and also puts me at risk.

and no I'm not coming back to anti-semitic racist douchebag / pretentious beta kid central. I was intended to be null and void with no association but then you had to go fuck it all up..... similarly I'm not ever returning to MobyGames or CDG, I have my reasons so STOP PMING ME TO RETURN TO PLACES I INTENTIONALLY LEFT and STOP ASKING QUESTIONS ASSUMING MY BEHALF. You are not my "ambassador" and I no longer want to have anything to do with 3DRealms. Ever.

My content hobbies are driven by creative urges. "No" suppresses all of that, and when I'm told to stop (As i did in 2008) I am told to stop. You aren't helping matters at all - especially since this post was about a month earlier and I wasn't notified by it at all. Very fucking disrespectful.

I'm already under tremendous pressure from one project. Do you think I want any more? It's virtual cancer. If I have to escape several communities to cut it off then so be it. Despite how you take me as some soulless "free clone" game maker for some free games list on the same page of Russian Warcraft II knockoffs, I am not here at Vogons to push or promote any of them and I do not appreciate being followed or intercepted for it one bit.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 12, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

STOP ASKING QUESTIONS ASSUMING MY BEHALF. You are not my "ambassador" and I no longer want to have anything to do with 3DRealms. Ever.

I'm afraid there's a misunderstanding here. I did not do anything "on your behalf", and never had the intention to act as your "ambassador". Information about both of your projects is open to general public (something had to be dug up using the Wayback Machine, but it was still public when you posted it at JonoF's forums), and actually you never told me personally about either project, I found them entirely on my own. I asked Mr. Schreiber as an interested but unrelated third party so to speak (and certainly not on your behalf - otherwise I would have asked your permission first), which I assume I have a right to do, as anyone else does. I am not privy to your plans concerning the possibility of future development of your projects, and to the best of my knowledge you have never made an explicit claim that further public discussion of Dave3D and/or Ling is forbidden by you. At any rate, my primary interest was in finding out if what already had been done could be released with an official approval of 3D Realms.

Have I been wrong doing this? Should I have asked your permission first? I think that if information on a certain piece of creative work is public, anyone has the right to contact related parties and make public inquiry about such project. This is at least my assumption.

As for the means of contacting Mr. Schreiber: you have implied that I'm trying to persuade you to go back to Duke4.net forums. I'm not. I simply forgot to write in the previous post that he can also be contacted via Facebook. That is all.

leileilol wrote:

asking about it implies that it's still being worked on COMPLETELY AGAINST MY ACKNOWLEDGEMENT TO CEASE & DESIST

Here's the exact post that I made at Duke4.net forums to ask Mr. Schreiber:

MrFllibble wrote:
I have a question to Mr. Schreiber which I hope will not be inappropriate in this thread. […]
Show full quote

I have a question to Mr. Schreiber which I hope will not be inappropriate in this thread.

Some time ago (in 2008 to be exact) there was a project by leilei to create a free software content replacement for Duke Nukem 3D to be used with the free Build engine, similar to the Freedoom project (free content replacement for the Doom engine). The project, called Dave3D, was allowed to exist for some time, however in October 2008 3D Realms stepped in to put it down:

leilei wrote:

this has been archived, because 3drealms does not appreciate the project (and also attempted to claim ownership over our original works)

Before Dave3D was shut down, leilei also planned a similar content replacement project for Shadow Warrior called Ling (this is a Wayback Machine copy of her post in the now inactive forums at JonoF's website). Also here's the Dave3D thread at JonoF's forums (Wayback Machine copy).

Maybe 3D Realms would now approve of these projects, possibly allowing them to be developed further? [source]

Please point out which phrases or wording implies that the projects are still being worked on.

leileilol wrote:

Despite how you take me as some soulless "free clone" game maker

That's entirely your own assumption which is in no way related to reality. I have told you on numerous occasions that I have a great respect for your knowledge and expertise. I do not expect you to appreciate my interests in return. Should either of your projects have been completed and you didn't want them to be on that free games list, I'd promptly remove them from the list at your request of course.

[Edit] leilei, because you clearly feel bad about the whole situation, I think I owe you an apology anyway, for being indirectly responsible for this.

I feel very sorry that Dave3D and Ling got shut down in the first place. I'll be honest, I decided to ask Mr. Schreiber in a faint (and probably naive) hope that the projects would be allowed to resume development by simply lifting the C&D order imposed by the old 3D Realms management. I'm sorry this didn't work out as expected. I felt I had to try because right now Mr. Schreiber is very open to the fan community, and it seemed like a good opportunity to inquire at this moment.

I probably should have asked you first, or told you about my question anyway, with respect to your rights and interests as the original author. I'm sorry I did not do that, acting as an independent third party instead.