VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have run into a problem on my newly setup XP box..... the media player sometimes skips when playing video and mp3 files. I tied fooling around with the buffer settings, even the hardware rendering, but nothing fixed. Then I realize it was version 8.1 and was behind what I had been running on win98. I installed version 9 - and the problem is less pronounced but still there. I have never run into this before. I installed VLC player and it does not seem to have any problems with video and winamp does not seem to have problems with mp3. Still, it bothers me. Does anyone have any ideas?

Reply 3 of 4, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HELP
I think I have found the culprit, or another problem. Under directX test AGP memory sharing is not enabled. If install the VIA AGP driver then it becomes enabled, but the direct3D tests fail with an "out of memory" error. At this point I could not recover the system and had to reinstall everything.
I am about ready to give up on this - or just get a PCI video card, end of story.
Maybe this is what I get for going non-intel 🙁

Reply 4 of 4, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ncmark wrote:
HELP I think I have found the culprit, or another problem. Under directX test AGP memory sharing is not enabled. If install the […]
Show full quote

HELP
I think I have found the culprit, or another problem. Under directX test AGP memory sharing is not enabled. If install the VIA AGP driver then it becomes enabled, but the direct3D tests fail with an "out of memory" error. At this point I could not recover the system and had to reinstall everything.
I am about ready to give up on this - or just get a PCI video card, end of story.
Maybe this is what I get for going non-intel 🙁

1) Windows XP Service Pack 2 includes DX9.0c if memory serves. You shouldn't need to install it manually in the old sense other than via the last redistributable, August 2010. The last redistributable for Windows 98 is the December 2006 release.

2) What video card are you using and what drivers are you using? Are your chipset drivers installed or "just" the AGP filter from VIA?

3) Have you tried playing the videos/mp3's in a third-party player like VLC to reproduce the problem?

4) Do you mean AGP Texture Acceleration? Is the AGP Aperture enabled & configured correctly in the BIOS?