Common searches

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another site gone to the age of mobile and ipad design..... 😠

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/F/FA … ml#.U3EpQ_mSx8E

Only Vogons and http://www.pcguide.com/ left with good old designs for desktop computers? I really hate the new mobile standard with large fonts and pictures and not using the full screen!

Hopefully we won't see Vogons like this:
a7U0DNp.png

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 16, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Stanson looks pretty much the same only its content is in the middle now.
People will notice/understand that its not about pretty its about simplicity sooner or latter.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

Stanson looks pretty much the same only its content is in the middle now.
People will notice/understand that its not about pretty its about simplicity sooner or latter.

Yes, luckily the information has been kept, but it has been spread out more for less readability and you need to scroll alot more.

Old design:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130815032214/ht … 86-486-403.html
new:
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/T/TM … ml#.U3Ewh_mSx8E

They also re-sized the diagrams of the boards, making them harder to read.

Reply 3 of 16, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes thank your lucky stars that at least they kept the same content and the integrity of the actual website was kept as is.

Unfortunately, I believe that the majority of websites will be changing like this very soon.

The way things are going I can totally see the internet becoming more regulated like cable tv and just having websites slightly change their formatting to fit better on a mobile device will be the least of our worries...
...The real problem will be when websites like stason.org will cease to exist or we will have to pay to get information like this and we will only have the option on clicking on huge windows 8 type icons that say "Disney Channel Online" or "Make VISA Payment" or "WalMart Online" or "At&T Global" or something to that ridiculous extent. 🤣

Reply 4 of 16, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

Yes, luckily the information has been kept, but it has been spread out more for less readability and you need to scroll alot more.

Dang. Like there wasn't already enough scrolling... 😖

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 16, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another good reason to get a local backup of most used "static" websites. I already downloaded th99 and Redhill Guide with WinHTTrack on that purpose. I do not expect them to change, only to disappear.

Reply 6 of 16, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's this gross-narrowing-in-the-middle-with-huge-empty-space-on-both-sides design called again? There're no words to describe how much I hate the idiocy of this design for desktop users.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

What's this gross-narrowing-in-the-middle-with-huge-empty-space-on-both-sides design called again? There're no words to describe how much I hate the idiocy of this design for desktop users.

I completely agree. Why can't modern sites do like Youtube and Ebay, they ofc have their own issues in some way or another, but they sure do have own desktop versions without narrowing-in-the-middle-with-huge-empty-space-on-both-sides of their sites.

Reply 8 of 16, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

What's this gross-narrowing-in-the-middle-with-huge-empty-space-on-both-sides design called again?

"Responsive". 🤣

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 10 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

What's this gross-narrowing-in-the-middle-with-huge-empty-space-on-both-sides design called again?

Less efficient use of your widescreen monitor? 🤣

+1 on the gripes though. I really hope we don't end up with "Internet as TV" like retrofanatic fears, but otoh those fears don't read as much like conspiracy theories/paranoia as they did a decade ago... 😵

Reply 12 of 16, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny thing is, the displays have become more wide and the websites more narrow. Now on some widescreen 24" display the site uses less than 30% of space 😀

Reply 13 of 16, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This has bugged me to no end. I detest the new dumbed down websites.

it used to be that sites would produce a separate version for mobile which you'd get like m.whateversite.com - now it seems like they've just decided "Screw it, that's too much work". Articles occasionally pop up on the Washington Post website now that are in this new "column" format which means the article has been squished into 500 lines with plenty of wasted space on each side. I have a feeling it's a preview of what's to come.

You'd think a site like Stason wouldn't need to cater too much to the mobile folks, but I guess the virus runs deep these days.

Reply 15 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Funny thing is, the displays have become more wide and the websites more narrow. Now on some widescreen 24" display the site uses less than 30% of space 😀

That's the only part I don't "get" about the new designs. I know they would probably argue it's to support candybar format mobile devices, but I also remember Apple and others so ardently advertising the ability to rotate their candybar format devices to better accommodate pages designed for desktop viewing (and admittedly I've read a few full-length NY Times or similar articles quite contently with such an arrangement).

It really seems like both sides are working against the middle here...

Reply 16 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Another good reason to get a local backup of most used "static" websites. I already downloaded th99 and Redhill Guide with WinHTTrack on that purpose. I do not expect them to change, only to disappear.

Good idea, but Archive.org now also supports manual saving for websites you visit. It will take a backup of the page when you request it.

I think that is great option incase you find something that you think is interesting and want to preserve it.