"Invalid system disk"

Reply 2 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Eek! What happened?

Not sure on the computer. Had a "hard" windows lockup (no response of any type), pressed reset and was greeted with "Invalid system disk"

This really HAS been a bad month for you, heh...

Actually the "Due to present economic circumstances..." speech was delivered to me in July, but I've been still been pretty busy with other things.

Reply 3 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I now know conclusively what there is a LOT of in the United States: shit and layoffs. (I mean, what other two words do you know of that you can name at least seven derivitives of off the top of your head? (Genitalia don't count...))

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

I now know conclusively what there is a LOT of in the United States: shit and layoffs.

Well, you find the feces wherever you find people, so that's kind of unavoidable. 😉

As for layoffs, we kind of knew this was coming as the IT organizations have been hit hard over the past couple of years. It just finally caught up with us. Since we provided management/storage/what-have-you services for them we knew that we were going to have less business when they got hit.

It didn't help matters when certain people artificially inflated their performance reports in order to look good on the stock market.

While I'm at it, would somebody tell Wall Street to calm down? Bi-Polar issues seem to abound there. You always seem to see them as "enthusiastic" or "depressed". You never see a stock market report come back as "OK". If everyone would stop with the knee-jerk responses, it will work itself out.

Things will get better. I'll probably just have to take whatever I can get until that time.

Let me practice. *ahem* "Thank You. Pull up to the Drive-Thru window please".

Reply 5 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

See if you can find an IT job at a school. Sure, it may not pay the most, but it's something you (hopefully) enjoy doing and it's generally less intense than a business.

That said, I doubt any public schools have the need for an IT department, so you'll need to look strictly private. Yeah.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hospitals. IT work at hospitals is GREAT. TONS of old hardware and LOTS of it. Plus if you get sick...well your already there! 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 20, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

See if you can find an IT job at a school. Sure, it may not pay the most, but it's something you (hopefully) enjoy doing and it's generally less intense than a business.

That said, I doubt any public schools have the need for an IT department, so you'll need to look strictly private. Yeah.

Did public schools as an IT guy for about 6 months, only got about $10/hr. But I had little experience. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Heh ... all of the IT departments at hospitals that I know of are filled with bumbling idiots. (Like, site-wide upgrading to P75s in 1998...)

EXACTLY...That's the point! 😀

Reply 11 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, lots of ignorant peon co-workers so that you look like "DA MAN" even tho your just a "simple" Network Admin. 😁

Reply 12 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

No, lots of ignorant peon co-workers so that you look like "DA MAN" ...

*sigh* Sometimes I wish I was still an "manual electronics" technician. I was actually quite proficient on IFF Receiver/Transmitters and people actually came to me for real answers.

Of course, a big part of that was because manual maintenance was quite tedious for most people. I had done it long enough, however, that I could perform the majority of the processes from memory. That sped things up...

Reply 14 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, it was "absorbed" into the "Automated" maintenance field, which in turn was integrated into the "Electronic Countermeasures" career field. This is what I'm still doing for Reserve Duty (1 weekend a month). No full-time positions open right now though...

Reply 16 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover ... now that's government fluff for "uses electronics to kill people," right?

Actually, no. It's how the pilot avoids getting killed. Blinds the enemy as to your actual location (in some cases, actually generating a "ghost image" of the aircraft at another location).

With it, a pilot can fly through hostile air even when SAM's are flooding the sky. Without it, it's very difficult for a pilot to shake off even one or two of them.
Translation: Lots of shot-down planes and dead pilots.

IFF is Identify-Friend-or-Foe, which is fairly straight-forward from the description.

I take it you haven't flown many Flight Simulators?

Reply 18 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

heh, "flares."

Um...no. Chaff and Flares are last-ditch countermeasures when you already have a SAM (or equivalent) incoming...no electronics involved (except possibly for the counter on the dispensers).

ECM actually prevents a lock-on by interfering with enemy radar by deflection or redirection. Kind of hard to hit something you can't see.