VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"“Halt and Catch Fire” is an upcoming drama about a group of programmers trying to clone the IBM PC in Texas during the early 1980s."
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2014/03/09/amcs … -pc-revolution/

Pilot episode and trailers are online now:
http://www.amctv.com/shows/halt-and-catch-fire

[EDIT]
Normally I don't advertise anything, but this sounded worth it 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 48, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know this is a month old but I just watched the first episode.
It was pretty good. Some areas could use improvement but all and all not bad

Very rarely do you see shows that cater to nerds and use lots of jargon like thta

Reply 3 of 48, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

I know this is a month old but I just watched the first episode.
It was pretty good. Some areas could use improvement but all and all not bad

Very rarely do you see shows that cater to nerds and use lots of jargon like thta

Thanks for the update; I've been seeing adverts for this, but haven't had time to sit down and watch. Might find time for it now. 😀

Reply 4 of 48, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Enjoyed the first two episodes. They strike a good balance between factual accuracy and the (understandable) need to dumb down the "tech stuff" for a general audience.

It's still fun to spot the inaccuracies, e.g. there was a "LOADHIGH" command on screen at one point. In 1983... nope. :-P

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 5 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like it, watched all episodes so far, discovered it by luck when it premiered 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 48, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well they have to keep the drama:

Playboy with emotional and physical scars that makes out with employee and makes out with others to get what he wants. (Not sure if he's bi or just really wants to succeed).
Punk rock programmer chick that makes out with boss
Proficient engineer performing day job day after day that gets dragged back into doing something exciting rather than humdrum existence....hasn't made out with punk rock programmer chick yet.

It was nice to see that the wife is technically proficient and that she was teaching the kids about the technical side while the husband is basically spaced out with zero energy for the mundane real world things.

It was also nice to see the "asshole" money guy at the workplace not looking down at the punk rock chick and was actually trying to learn about programming (He asked punk rock chick about it, was studying, and was sleeping at the office).

The preview for the next episode pissed me off. No backups??? or mabye the backups were corrupted? Still. Really punk rock genius girl?

I'll keep watching tho. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 48, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Silicon Valley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXpf-Lt9zKc
http://iwatchstuff.com/2014/06/silicon-valley … math-has-be.php

Was watching this Peep Show episode the other day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_KL9eUmkDA
Almost sounds like "ogons"

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 48, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Huh, I thought it was a sex show with thin moments of vintage computer stuff happening. Are we watching the same show?

Ehh I know what you mean. Within the first 5 minutes of the first episode 😒 smh
But luckily there is enough nerdy content to keep my interest

Reply 10 of 48, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:
Well they have to keep the drama: […]
Show full quote

Well they have to keep the drama:

Playboy with emotional and physical scars that makes out with employee and makes out with others to get what he wants. (Not sure if he's bi or just really wants to succeed).
Punk rock programmer chick that makes out with boss
Proficient engineer performing day job day after day that gets dragged back into doing something exciting rather than humdrum existence....hasn't made out with punk rock programmer chick yet.

It was nice to see that the wife is technically proficient and that she was teaching the kids about the technical side while the husband is basically spaced out with zero energy for the mundane real world things.

It was also nice to see the "asshole" money guy at the workplace not looking down at the punk rock chick and was actually trying to learn about programming (He asked punk rock chick about it, was studying, and was sleeping at the office).

The preview for the next episode pissed me off. No backups??? or mabye the backups were corrupted? Still. Really punk rock genius girl?

I'll keep watching tho. 😀

I have to admit, I'm hooked on this now. I haven't quite figured out the Joe character, either. He seems to have a genuine interest in the tech side but more talent for sales/political climbing? I was blindsided by the liquor selection scene. Definitely did not see that coming.

The tech stuff is not always totally accurate but at least they are attempting to make it plausible, there have been no "Hackers" level groaners yet, anyway.
And I'm a bit smitten with Punk Rock Genius Girl. 😀

Reply 11 of 48, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Hah, that was a surprise this past week. Um, I mean... SPPPPOILERSSSS.

A friend of mine said, "I'm not sure I like the show. I find all the characters annoying." and I replied "well, I think that's sorta the point? I don't project this having a happy ending, else we'd have heard of their success, no? 😁"

Stiletto

Reply 12 of 48, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think this is loosely based on Compaq reverse-engineering IBM's bios and then building their suitcase PC. But I may be mistaken. In any case, you could argue it doesn't have a happy ending, since didn't HP acquire Compaq at some point? HP is still around but not quite the innovator they were in the past.

Reply 13 of 48, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I am really, really liking Halt and Catch Fire. We've got a Woz clone, Cammie is becoming a very interesting character, and I am looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Also, they reference Adventure in the episode title and also show them playing it. Based on their description, It sounds like a cross between Zork and Hack or Nethack, but wasn't the actual Adventure an Atari game?

Reply 14 of 48, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snorg wrote:

Also, they reference Adventure in the episode title and also show them playing it. Based on their description, It sounds like a cross between Zork and Hack or Nethack, but wasn't the actual Adventure an Atari game?

NO.
(well it wasn't the first videogame whose name contained the word adventure at least)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

Stiletto

Reply 16 of 48, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snorg wrote:

I suppose Adventure is less wordy than Colossal Cave Adventure.

Not only that, but when the intro/title screen says "Welcome to Adventure" and the command to run the game is ADVENT or ADV11, etc. ... yeah. 🤣

Stiletto

Reply 17 of 48, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Again, Colossal Cave Adventure was a little before my time, my only experience with any game by the name Adventure was the Atari game and then Coleco's "Venture" (which I think was supposed to be an Adventure clone?). But yeah, probably should have hit the Wiki page first.

Reply 19 of 48, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did anyone see the last 2 episodes of Halt and Catch Fire?

I was pretty shocked by the turn things took, and I'm not sure how they are going to keep this going for multiple seasons, unless they make it about them continuing to sell the Cardiff Giant (don't want to give too much away if others haven't seen it).