Common searches

Old computers for daily tasks?

Topic actions

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been awhile since I've been around but I couldn't find anything like this recently.

Does anyone use a retro machine for everyday computing tasks (aside from gaming)?

Everytime an old-school author comes up in the news saying they use some ancient program for writing (GRRM most recently) it makes me wonder if anyone here uses something old for random tasks?

I have a period-correct version of Office installed on all of my retro machines, just in case I need to do something while I'm working on them. My old Macs all have productivity software. However, I have an Office365 subscription so I've got the most up to date and modern version of Office available on any of my modern machines.

I've been thinking of doing a personal "30 days with an old machine" experiment and see if I can get by with an old non-internet-connected machine for all of my other everyday tasks.

Anyone else?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 1 of 56, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These two threads are the most recent/active on this topic that I've seen:
Know anyone that does high value work on old machines?
Anecdotal accounts of Windows 7 on dual Tualatin rigs for everyday computing

In general I don't think there'd be any problems with using an older machine offline for whatever it can do - for example using an old Mac 6500 for word processing (it's not like Word 95 or Lotus Notes magically stopped being functional with age). No different than using such a machine for gaming methinks. It gets tricky when you want to bring the Internet, modern networking, etc into the equation. It may also be problematic if you have to deal with newer filetypes, like for example newer XML-enabled Office documents tend to be a problem for very old versions of Office.

Reply 4 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to use my old Pentium 3 for downloading pictures off of my mobile, but that ended when my old mobile finally died.
Then I use a couple Athlon64's for tasks like watching movies and as a backup/datacomputer for storing all of my files along with slipstreaming and burning Windows OS cd's

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 56, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My DOS machine sees use for all sorts of things. In fact gaming comes second now 😀 AdTrack2 is what I use it most for. Occasionally I make fancy desktop wallpapers in FRACTINT or technical drawings in AutoCAD 13 (which I can then print on the dot-matrix printer or the networked inkjet printer mapped to a virtual LPT2 port 😀)
Qbasic works pretty well as advanced graphical calculator and for quick prototyping, altough lately I've started to use Visual C# for the same purpose as well.
It's connected to the web too, but that doesn't see much use. Only when I need to download something directly to it, or when I can't use a Windows PC for whatever reason.

Reply 8 of 56, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the end, the best reason for using an old computer would be the general lack of all distractions inherent in modern operating systems.

Of course, it's possible to set up a truly distraction-free environment on a modern system as well, but getting DOS set up on an i5 or what have you is a somewhat clumsy endeavor. There's probably a suitable Linux distribution that would accomplish the same, but offhand I wouldn't know what that would be.

Reply 9 of 56, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sometimes use my Toshiba 480CDT as a DOS based writing machine on the couch or whatever. My main issue with using old machines as productivity machines is that in the end, I need to get those files to other people in some way and format conversions plus all the hoops to jump through making sure it all comes out looking right makes it a chore. Unless I'm writing something I'll just print out and possibly OCR back into a modern format, it's too much work.

This is especially true for non-writing apps. I used to use my old Performa for a DB in Clarisworks until I realized I needed to migrate it to a modern machine with Excel. Lemme tell ya, that was not a fun process.

I'd really like to setup an old machine just for daily tasks and such because they can still perform admirably, but the passage of time and the whole "internet killed computers" thing I have in my head just makes me pause.

Reply 10 of 56, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a Thinkpad 760EL with a 100mb zip drive for any MS office tasks. O and Doom 95 in between papers of course!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 11 of 56, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using a Pentium 3 Machine with 800 Mhz als a Digital Video Recorder under Linux.

Very stable since 2002...

And a Pentium 3 500 MHz Machine (Desktop Case) with an SB-Live and CoolEdit connected to my Old Stereo to digitalize my Cassettes and Records.
OS is Win98SE and it runs smooth with 512 MB RAM.

Reply 12 of 56, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh i forget:
I use Audio Machine as a Printer Server to, with converter from Postscript to GDI.
So i can Print from any Linux Machine to my Color-Laser which is Not supported by Linux.

Linux prints to a virtually Postscript Printer emulated by P3 500 MHz Machine.
The Picture is Rendered and then Send to the Laser-Printer via the Windows Driver.

Reply 13 of 56, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

I use a Thinkpad 760EL with a 100mb zip drive for any MS office tasks. O and Doom 95 in between papers of course!

Those are great fleamarket computers for finding old hard drives since nobody ever knows how to open them.

Reply 14 of 56, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm kind of tempted to find an old AT-class laptop, toshiba 3100 or something of that era, just for old writing tasks.

Reply 15 of 56, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Auzner: Haha that is funny! So simple it's impossible right? Mine has a 2gb Hitachi drive with the original install of 95. Used for Photoshop and AutoCad up until 2009 amazingly.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 16 of 56, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do. I have a nice S370 pentium III 650 megahertz system with dual 40-gigabyte drives, voodoo3, and AWE64 gold that I use for everyday work. I have some athlon 2 - gigahertz systems but I only get those out of I want to do rendering or encoding 😀

Reply 17 of 56, by Holering

User metadata

Use to have a pentium 3 1ghz in 2010 for daily use (Compaq n600c laptop). It was fast, but that was only because I used Linux. Could play flash videos just fine, and had opengl acceleration (onboard radeon). Windows Xp and Vista could only dream of running Firefox and emulation without slowdown on a Pentium 3. Think the biggest speed up was recompiling everything with -msse, mfpmath=sse, and -msseregparm; somehow that really sped up image rendering and page scrolling, especially while a flash video was playing. Using xfce, it felt like a Pentium 4 3Ghz in Windows XP, and it even ran compiz just fine.

Linux can really let old machines shine like new. Especially Gentoo or a good bootstrap. Blows away Windows any day. Turning an old machine into a proxy server, router, and/or server comes to mind...

Reply 18 of 56, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Staying with Windows XP and Office 2003 until last breath - although the computer hardware itself isn't necessarily old.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 19 of 56, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Good ol' Thinkpad keyboard indeed! 😀 I use a newer R50/T4x-generation though, and Writemonkey. Basically, a typewriter.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)