VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My story goes back to 2012 when I had finished my studies and were planning on upgrading my Compaq for some retro gaming. Almost whatever I searched for on Google it took me to a thread on Vogons where someone provided an answer. I was amazed to see people like Gerwin, Great Hierophant and Keropi be present in most threads (sorry, don't remember anyone else) and providing the answers I was looking for. At one point it kinda got ridiculous and I said to myself "Do these guys know everything?" 🤣.

I lurked a while and signed up when I hit a stopping point about Socket 7 CPU adapters (Powerleap). It hadn't been discussed as much as graphic cards and especially sound and MIDI stuff, so I started my own post (Kingston TurboChip 233-400 possible to remove CPU?). Nobody answered 🤣

I can now inform you that it is possible to remove the CPU from a Kingston Turbochip 400 and yes the Compaq Presario 4766 does support AMD K6 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 38, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

VDMS forum moved here 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 38, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wanted to ask questions on enabling Voodoo5 FSAA in DOS 3dfx games. 😉

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 38, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

as an old PC user I was searching for a forum with people that share the same interests, VOGONS was and is the perfect place for that 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 38, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS and Win9x games, DOSBox and of course 3Dfx and older hardware. I was simply amazed by what I found. I lurked for a few months (I think that was in 2006) and then I registered. It has been a very fun ride, it seems every week or so I learn something new 😀.

Reply 7 of 38, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nostalgia. Fondly remembering my grade school and high school days. The era of 3dfx coming into play and eventually dying out with nvidia taking over 32-bit graphics with the TNT2. After that (those were my high school days) I drifted away from gaming be it because of college, 3 part time jobs, a lot of studying. Then came dating, full time job, getting married, having kids. And when kids came, I had to be home all the time and evenings became my time to relax finally. A monotonous life made me remember the good old times and the urge to recreate that experience. It's not about the games I played, it's about how i felt when i played them. I remember being a different person back then, full of energy, sharp mind and not a worry in sight. That's what I miss the most. And so I found this community (probably first search result through google). That's my story ;P

Reply 8 of 38, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSBox. I heard about this slick new emulator for PC DOS games, and the forums linked here to Vogons. I've hung around ever since because of the great group of people here who share my love of retro gaming and computing. Hard to believe I've been reading these forums for 10 years now. I don't post much, but I read the new posts nearly every day.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 9 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought long about it but simply can't remember...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 38, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd been using VDMSound since I went Windows 2000 only back in 2000?

I would email back and forth with Vlad (author of VDMSound) and frequented the bravenet VDMSound forums.

It was obvious that people had more than sound issues with getting games to work in NT and the bravenet forums were horrible.

So we all left the horrible horrible bravenet forums for here to make something better.

Thanks bravenet and Snover but mostly bravenet! Oh, and for Harekiet and Qbix agreeing to move their forums here!

P.S. The bravenet forums were horrible.

VDMSound forum to OGoNS?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 38, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been a regular on the AtariAge forums for a few years now, and the community at Vogons is similar to it in the best ways: mature, helpful, knowledgeable. I'm surprised that it's taken me this long to join Vogons given that PC gaming really defined gaming for me from about 1983 on. I started building my own PCs not long after that but went OEM almost ten years ago. It's fun to get back to the earlier era but this time with the instant info retrieval of the Internet (Vogons in particular).

Here's my story. A couple of months ago, I was at a thrift store and saw an older man playing around with a Windows 98 laptop. I thought it was pretty cool that something like that would even end up in a thrift store. I was hoping that he wouldn't buy it (it was only $15), but he put it in his cart, and I continued looking for console games. A week or two later, the same laptop was back on the shelf. I guess the guy either changed his mind at the checkout or realized that the laptop couldn't do the things he wanted it to once he got it home. I bought it, and not much later I was on Vogons trying to learn how to get it to play DOOM. Now I have that Toshiba laptop, plus my wife's old Dell P233 laptop, an HP Pavilion Celeron 466, and a Dell Optiplex GX1 that I just bought yesterday for $0.50. I dug out my Ultrasound ACE, Diamond Monster Fusion, and a few other cards. I've since ordered an AWE64, an Ultrasound Classic, a Pro AudioSpectrum 16, a Creative 3D Blaster, and an ATI Rage Pro 128. I also picked up a lot of untested motherboards with CPUs, including a few 486s. I'm now on the lookout for a baby AT case and/or an OEM 486 box for better DOS gaming. I think I'll be staying awhile.

Reply 12 of 38, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I came here because of DosBOX primarily, but also to find answers to odd questions involving old games\software, questions that normal users don't typically ask.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 14 of 38, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-07-27, 04:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 15 of 38, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still remember the day I joined. After been reading Vogons for some time, and concerned about OPL emulation, I wanted to rant about why OPL chip emulation was almost OK but the emulator code usually used in a way that ruins feedback and used inaccurate crystal frequency to emulate the chip. I had such good ideas back then, 9 years ago (well two days short). Now I have even better ideas 😀

Reply 16 of 38, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since I joined recently, I humbly believe that my story is already out and known(with the exception of newbies) to those who are interested/indifferent and I don't want to repeat the dreaded thing again considering that I have only 1 thread under my belt(well the 2nd one was started a few days back and comparatively insignificant).

Nonetheless, this is the 'home' forum for me, as here is (of all the forums) where I was not treated like a mad guy trying to revive a P3 system for gaming. The collective wisdom available here is simply amazing. A worthy quality of Vogoners in general is that instead of forcing their opinions on the OP, suggestions are initially made for the best outcome as per their experiences/wisdom logically. But if the OP has his own priorities and want to continue in a different untrodden(maybe punishing) path, that is respected and help is extended in that direction too. This is normally not the case in most other forums. So I'm here to stay as the helping attitude of the vogoners is among the best provided that you have put enough efforts/tried your best in understanding & resolving the issue.

Long live Vogons and let it outlast us.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 17 of 38, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty sure I had just installed XP, and was trying to get Impulse Tracker to play nice with VDMSound.

Simpler times? not necessarily.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 18 of 38, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I started collecting boxed PC games again about 6 years ago and also got back into building up my retro pc collection and trying to relearn a lot of what I forgot about DOS gaming older O/S's like OS/2 and Win 98.

I was back on track in realizing my mission to put together the best retro computing setup I could which will include old gaming consoles and pc's and encompass pc computing from DOS XT days all the way to Windows XP.

Obviously this is a tall order and was constantly looking online for inspiration and ideas and technical information. I think the first thing that caught my eye on Vogons were photos of everyone's cool retro rigs, setups, and MIDI equipment. What really hooked me was the topic showing everyone's home/office retrocomputing setups...that really interests me....seeing what people include in their setup, how they organize it, and how they make it all work together. I wish there was more of that on Vogons, but I am not complaining 😀 .

I was a long time lurker since 2010/2011, soaked up some information and finally decided to register in the beginning of 2014 to share some of my (limited) knowledge, stories, photos of my setup, games, and retro gear.

Reply 19 of 38, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm let's take a look at my FIRST POST, and Incidently, my FIRST THREAD.
booting multiple dos version on one machine.

Ah, yes, I was just starting to migrate from DosBox back to hardware and wanted to setup a Multiple DOS boot on one machine. Was greeted by Jorpho who basically said I was silly.
But eventually I got it working, suggestions from the thread helped 😁
I stuck here since.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.