Common searches

Reply 21 of 38, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

for the DOSBox beta testing.

it wasn't much of an old PC hardware forum at the time....

Yeah pretty funny how this forum was initially about "Very old games on new systems" but progressively got inhabited by retro hardware nuts and now this is what most of the posting is about. Should now be called "Vogovos" :p

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 22 of 38, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Part of the reason was the necessity to compare actual period PCs to DOSbox results for debugging. 😀

This forum's the reason why I rebuilt my old 486 machine, however it was for a 'new games on very old systems' kind of use (along with benchmarks like Cinebench R10 which took 24 hours to complete) 😜. Emulation's matured far enough these days that my 486 can just be done completely in software now 🤣

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 23 of 38, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first (and preceding) message posts here at VOGONS in this thread -> Drums of midi files broken after DosBox usage (April 2009)... having a problem with MIDI drums and DOOM (and inadvertently thinking it was a glitch with DOSBox).

This was right after I had first migrated to WinDoZe XPee, and realized that I had to use something (such as DOSBox) to run DOOM under it 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 24 of 38, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

vetz, I signed up just the same way you did - lurked around for a year or so and then I thought "Might as well sign in and visit this forum on a regular basis, as I do this anyway". I felt shy and did not post much at first anyway - I'm not a native English speaker. But it turned out to become a great practice for me.

Reply 25 of 38, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was starting a new web show and knew that the only way it would get anywhere would be to find a group of like-minded people to hang with online so that word about my show would slowly spread. :B

BUT, if my sole purpose for being here was to just advertise my show then obviously I wouldn't be welcome, which is why I contribute to conversations here whenever I have any input and also let people know whenever something related to retro gaming comes up which no one else has made mention of. Win-win for everyone! :D

Also, because I'm incredibly bad at keeping track of social things, this is the only retro gaming forum I'm actually a member of. (Also explains why I'm not on Twitter, Facebook, etc.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 26 of 38, by armankordi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 95. Case and point.

IBM PS/2 8573-121 386-20 DOS6.2/W3.1
IBM PS/2 8570-E61 386-16 W95
IBM PS/2 8580-071 386-16 (486DX-33 reply) OS/2 warp
486DX/2 - 66/32mb ram/256k cache/504mb hdd/cdrom/awe32/DOS6.2/WFW3.11
K6/2 - 350/128mb ram/512k cache/4.3gb hdd/cdr/sblive/w98

Reply 27 of 38, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like a few here, was getting back into old hardware had lots of useful info.
It was the friendly atmosphere that made me want to actually contribute though

Reply 28 of 38, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Google kept pointing me here for just about any query related to DOS or old PC hardware. Then one day I figured I could skip the google part and just register here directly 😀

Reply 29 of 38, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was evident to me that any forum where fellow nerds Snover, DosFreak and Nicht Sehr Gut was, was the place to be. 😉

Also, I wanted to tease vladr some more. 🤣

But yeah, pretty much what DosFreak said.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 30 of 38, by Holering

User metadata

Very informative forum with intelligent community (even if they don't like exploring too much). Was also hoping to be around people as messed up as me, and contribute. I always want to be living a specific day and year, everyday. Also think Dosbox is the best thing next to chocolate milk..

Reply 31 of 38, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

for the DOSBox beta testing.

it wasn't much of an old PC hardware forum at the time....

Wait, your join date is not much difference than mine. We both joined in 2006, and to me, Vogons was really an old PC hardware forum at that time. With folks like Great Hierophant, keropi, and 5u3 who gave out advice on old PC hardware, Vogons was really a forum about 3dfx, (then) modern ISA motherboards, and General MIDI sound cards in pure DOS.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 32 of 38, by Zenn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Decided this was a good reason to register after lurking for several months. The retro builds and all the hardware discussion caught my interest and made me drop by every now and then. Also gave me a glimpse of how computers were like in the past. The knowledge and experience shared in this forum is quite amazing. 😀

Reply 33 of 38, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought I was the only middle aged lunatic with P4's and Athlon XP's around the house from choice. Thankfully I find I'm not alone............ 😀

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 34 of 38, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a relatively new user, and I'm proud to say I never, ever lurked! 😁

I've gotten more and more into retro hardware over the past few years, especially since I started using eBay. I'd seen Vogons threads in my Google results before, but somehow it never registered that this forum was for nuts like me, as well as nuts who actually try to play Very Old Games On New Systems.

Then I struck up a conversation with swaaye on YouTube and he pointed me toward Vogons - "You will be right at home there," he said. Thanks, swaaye, for introducing me to this great little community. The depth and breadth of knowledge here is just incredible, and everyone has been very helpful and polite.

PCGames9505

Reply 36 of 38, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaWing wrote:

Wanted to talk with people who enjoy old, computer junk.
Even if I'm not nearly as skilled as some of them.

With reviving and recycling old computer parts skill is acquired... so you will be well on your way 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 37 of 38, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Holering wrote:

Very informative forum with intelligent community (even if they don't like exploring too much). Was also hoping to be around people as messed up as me, and contribute. I always want to be living a specific day and year, everyday. Also think Dosbox is the best thing next to chocolate milk..

I guess I'm not sure what you're basing that on?

Anyway: came here first to find info on running some games in Dosbox. Started reading all the threads on everyone's cool retro builds and then decided I wanted to do a retro system or two.

Reply 38 of 38, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I joined to talk to people about Retro-PC Hardware.

I 've been a Retro-Gamer since 1995, and I've been a Retro-PC Enthusiast since 1997 when I got my first Pc, a Tandy 1000, which was already over 10 years old at the time. I was smacking together 8088/286/386/486/early Pentium hardware back when people would PAY ME to take those "pieces of junk" away back in the early 2000s, back when shops were shady and full of condescending jerks. I still consider the 486 the perfect in-between for compatibility with the old and the new and the true beginning of all we have now PC-wise.

I found this place because I started to putz around with virtualization and needed some information for my DOSBox setup at one time. I noticed there were an awful lot of guys here like me who had joined into the world of retro-PC hardware. I have stuff to share and experiences.

I also used to run a little website out of Geocities and later Hotlightbulb called "The Creeping Network". I'm considering re-making it, using my 486 for most of the web authoring.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/