VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many already know that the Virtual Sound Canvas does not sound as good as the real SC-55, but I previously made a comparison video, for those who want to see how similar/dissimilar the VSC is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70mHubXP9Wg

Although some instruments do sound the same, others sound quite different. I am wondering whether or not the VSC actually uses a ROM dump from the SC-55. Some samples are noticeably different, and some parts such as the sweepiness on the Halo Pad are missing completely. It seems like they are errors, possibly from dumping the SC-55 ROM incorrectly, or maybe the differences were caused by software limitations at the time?

The Microsoft GS Synth uses a Roland Sound Canvas sample set, and appears to be the same one from the Virtual Sound Canvas. However, there are also a few differences, such as the Synth Drum. The MS Synth's Synth Drum seems "dumbed down", possibly a result of being converted from a different format.

The VSC and MS Synth are obviously not that great compared to an SC-55. The VSC is better than the MS Synth though; it has effects like reverb, and has more GS instruments than the MS Synth.

Reply 1 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you still purchase VSC? And does it run on Windows 8.1?

I just recommend buying a Sound Canvas and a USB midi adapter. It's a worthwhile investment 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 6, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Can you still purchase VSC? And does it run on Windows 8.1?

I just recommend buying a Sound Canvas and a USB midi adapter. It's a worthwhile investment 😀

The VSC is no longer sold by Roland, but there are still copies on eBay...I think. I installed the VSC on Windows 95 and Windows 98. The original VSC won't install on Windows 7 64-bit (and also most likely will not work on Windows 8/8.1 either), but there's an "unofficial" release of the VST plugin version which can be used in a host application that supports VST instruments. Edit: I almost forgot that an SC-55 can apparently be used easily on newer systems. 🤣 The VSC on the other hand doesn't sound good, is hard to find, is problematic to set up, has compatibility issues with newer Windows, etc.

Reply 4 of 6, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stojke wrote:

What is the difference between Roland VSC-MP1 and Roland VSC 3.23?

Roland VSC-MP1 is a boxed "multi-pack" release. It includes the VSC standalone soft synth, plus a DXi version and a VST version. According to Wikipedia, the MP1 release is the only version of VSC that is compatible with NT-based OSes (2000, XP).

Reply 6 of 6, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But still, for games an music system that is only 16MB in size is amazing.
I tried to find software copies of the program MP1 version but nothing.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"