VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Holering

User metadata

Spoilers ahead! Sorry for not alerting first hand.

Just started playing Policenauts and I got to the part where you take out all the purses except the one with the bomb (when your chasing that amphibian guy). So far this game has sucked! Started playing this because of how great Snatcher was, and the high ratings for this, but man does this game take a crap on itself! The beginning is still the best part (when you meet your ex-wife), but the rest of it, so far, feels like some unfinished prototype hacked together and fragmented into a final release. It's got so many sexual references and interactions that the plot doesn't seem to even matter or exist, and the puzzles are extraordinarly redundant and thin (practically no puzzles at all!). It might as well be one of those $2.00 manga dating games. I'm playing the PSX version BTW and I'm surprised the game doesn't use 640x480 resolution (every screen looks like a low resolution mpeg in pause mode). Rise of the Dragon beats the heck out of this game, and so does Snatcher (the sexual references are actually funny and unpredicting in that one, and Metal Gear beats the heck out of Ed for a partner!). This feels like one of those cheap CD-i games.

So are there any other good games of this genre? So far I've only played "Rise of the Dragon" and "Snatcher".

Last edited by Holering on 2014-08-20, 12:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 34, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I liked Shadowrun on the SNES. Syndicate is another classic cyberpunk game. It can also be argued that Perfect Dark has a cyberpunk aesthetic to it. The System Shock series definitely has a cyberpunk vibe, though it's a bit more on the sci-fi side since it takes place on a space station. I still haven't gotten around to playing them though, because I want to play SS1 before SS2, but it's damn near impossible to get a legit copy of SS1 for a decent price.

Reply 5 of 34, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

beneath a steel sky.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 6 of 34, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do believe the first System Shock qualifies as a "cyberpunk" game thanks to its cyberspace feature and all the different tech-based special abilities you can acquire, although the second game is pretty much just a straight-up sci-fi action/adventure.

The Syndicate series of games comes to mind too, especially Syndicate Wars which has a much more stylized UI than the original, though I'm personally terrible at both games. :P

There's another game I can think of too, but I'm going to be covering it VERY soon on ADG, either next month or the month after, so I don't want to say the name of it. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 8 of 34, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about Marathon? Although its a Mac game so you may have to emulate it. There's a source port called Aleph One, but AFAIK there's no Windows version, only Linux.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 10 of 34, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They made a very loose computer game adaptation of the seminal cyberpunk novel, Neuromancer, and it looks pretty decent.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 14 of 34, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just crossed over this when commenting on another thread. Satellite Reign, a Syndicate Wars revival? Woah 😲

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 15 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Neuromancer?

Circuit's Edge?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 16 of 34, by Holering

User metadata

Satellite Reign looks very interesting! Also heard the Genesis version of Shadowrun is very good, as well as the Sega CD version (supposedly very rare).

I'm personally sick of all the first person shooters and Call of Duty games. I still play games from the early 90s; heck I'm even considering Night Trap on the 3D0. Deus Ex looks great though.

EDIT:
Friend showed me Genesis Shadowrun, and it looks awful! Don't know if I've been too spoiled by Contra Hard Corps and Snatcher visuals, but this game looks like a Master System game at times. I swear the intro only uses like 16 colors or even less. The music is awful. Played it like two hours and there's no story to draw you into the game; I pretty much assumed my own idea and story. Too bad the snes version is so expensive.

Last edited by Holering on 2014-06-19, 08:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 34, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was disappointed too when EA turned Syndicate franchise into an FPS game. Hopefully they won't sue/shutdown the developers working on Satellite Reign, because it looks awfully similar.

Also there seems to be another similarly styled game in development, "Cyberpunk 2077" (couldn't they pick a more obvious title?). Though not sure how the in-game would be like--there's only a trailer so far (I muted the distracting music btw).

I think first-person POV mode ("action view") would be alright if it's being integrated well into the classic Syndicate isometric view AND the more free camera/perspective view of Syndicate Wars ("environmental view" or "strategic view" as I'd call it).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 18 of 34, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Policenauts was a good game. Not as good as snatcher though. The intro is pretty epic though. I also enjoyed Rise of the Dragon on Sega CD. I wish I had an Amiga though to play that version. Very under-rated game.

If you like SHMUPS Progear is awesome. But you must play the Japanese version. Took me forever to find one of those CPS2 boards for my arcade cabinet. But I bet it runs on MAME or a CPS2 emulator well. I think the CPS2 emulators are FCE Ultra and FBXXX PRO. Alternatively you might want to dig around the net for SHMUMP MAME. I't designed specifically for SHMUPS.

I also really like....

Arcanum: of Steamworks Magick Obscura

Wild Guns

Machinarium

Skies of Arcadia

Torchlight 1 and 2 (epicness) like better than diablo

Misadventures of Tron Bonne (also a great game)

Sudeki (made by Climax, the creators of Landstalker on Genesis, AKA my favorite game of all time)

Rocket Knight Adventures

Skygunner (great obscure game)

Of all those you must play Tron Bonne, Torchlight, Ricket Knight Adventures, Progear, and Skygunner.

Almost all of them listed.

Edit: I would also Like to add your perception is correct. I felt Shadowrun was awful. I hated it! The Sega CD version I believe is Japanese only. That's off the top of my head. There could be a euro version, but I doubt it.