Common searches

Neighbors

Topic actions

First post, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I just found out that my next door neighbor was rich back in the day and into computers hard core. Im helping them pack stuff down from the attic this week for a yard sale and have been given free choice from HUNDREDS of parts. Needless to say there will be a huge thread full of pictures (along with my systems being finished at last with pics) any one else stumble across a gold mine?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1 of 15, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, sounds like fun. Let the pics come!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 2 of 15, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He told me that he has a pair of Creative Voodoo 2's and another voodoo card packed away somewhere. I am DROOLING in anticipation right now.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 15, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that you said it, I've got a boxed Creative Voodoo2 12MB from ebay (and still want more of the boxes!). So don't forget to ask for the boxes--if your neighbor were the "clean-tidy-packer-archiver" type, that is. 😀

Oh, btw this should be moved to Milliways.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4 of 15, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oops sorry, not sure how to move it.

Reply 5 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Eh, it's debatable, but yeah for the most part random ramblings should go into Milliways not Marvin. Moved. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 15, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ODwilly

It's alright! Once you start having troubles with your soon-to-be-acquired stuff, you could always make a new thread there. Well you can always make new troubles where there's none anyway. 😁

Reply 7 of 15, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nooo, out of batteries. Tomorrow will bring fresh camera batteries and a few pics of the treasures so far. Here is a list: S3 savage 2000 agp, boxed with ALL documents/discs. Two slockets, 466, 500 and 533mhz celerons, Mechanical Chicony DIN keyboard, a CD drive upgrade for the ol thinkpad 760 NIB, Logitech joystick and steering wheel, brand new office xp install discs and the prospect of much, much more. Going from a shoebox of parts to drowning in them guys. Maybe i will have to setup an ebay account after all! BTW archsan: Not neat and tidy in the least, but he has a habit of keeping boxes so i will be on a lookout for them in the pile

Reply 8 of 15, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very interesting, looking fwds to pics! If you can get a pic of the Creative Voodoo2 packaging I'd be interested as well (I have the card, but not anything else that goes with it - I'm curious).

Reply 9 of 15, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Nice find ODwilly, will patiently wait for the pics. And yes, sometimes you discover treasures where you least expect them - I had my own find about 10 months ago when I went to visit my sister. Her husband was also into computers big time back in the mid-1990s and had a few storage boxes on the garage floor; after a short talk with him, I went to take a look. His stash wasn't as big as your neighbors, but it still had quite a few interesting items - an almost complete Antec KS-288 ATX case, a Plextor PX-W2410A IDE CD-RW, several sticks of FPM, EDO and DDR2 RAM, 2 SCSI PCI cards, 2 SB16 sound cards, a CT1920 Goldfinch card, 2 new Socket 7 CPU coolers, Windows NT 4 and XP SP2 CDs, Photoshop 6 CD. Unfortunately, the item I wanted the most was not available for the taking: a Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1. He had the card cleaned and mounted inside a glass case and now has it in his study, alongside an Asus P2B-DS motherboard and 2 Pentium 3 550 Slot 1 CPUs. Still, it was a good haul and have gone back a couple more times to keep searching and looking around (just in case 😀 ).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 10 of 15, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very very good haul indeed! It is amazing how many people have held onto at least a handful of interesting items.

Reply 12 of 15, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still gathering parts from this adventure. Was handed 2 8mb Creative voodoo 2's in SLI, the mentioned V3 and a 12mb Creative voodoo 2 today. Along with a 550mhz 100fsb slotted pentium 3. Take a bit to really get some free time and such but there WILL be a wall of pics eventually x) oh almost forgot, no Voodoo boxes 🙁 just the P3 boxes.

Reply 13 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very cool 😀

Just don't get greedy because retro hardware will consume you 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 15, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Very cool 😀

Just don't get greedy because retro hardware will consume you 🤣

+1

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 15 of 15, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I live in a small wood stove room/closet at my parent's house right now. My COMPLETE pc stack was at 8+ down to 5ish right now, will be at a steady 3 once a few are sold. Main win7 990fx rig, Acer Pentium 166, and a dual p3 system. Maybe a netburst rig as well, but it will be matx I promise! This agp 4670 is just begging for to be paired with the 3.8ghz Prescott in my cpu bin. Guys, I think it might be to late!