VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently dug out some old software from the attic (literally). I was delighted to find these early examples of shovelware. I think I bought them in the mid-90s from places like Egghead Software. A few good titles in there, such as King's Quest V, Space Quest IV, and Battle Chess. What's funny is that some individual CD-ROMs are shovelware compilations themselves, so you have shovelware squared in some cases.

P1100807.jpg
P1100804.jpg

Reply 3 of 11, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those cd's that have 1000's of programs on them.
I got a couple of those from the early 90's and they are loaded with shareware\Freeware\demos.
One set is one company that scoured dialup bulletin boards before the WWW, and its loaded with programs you don't find on the net anymore.

Here's any example of the one with the BB stuff.

Has anyone seen this particular collection before?
It uses a Dosshell style program to explore its contents in dos.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2015-08-13, 05:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shovelware, like 'abandonware', is a term that mutated into something else entirely, like "non-shooting games i don't like according to zombie-game-loving youtubers". You'll see this term applied to games like Tex Murphy, 11th Hour, Descent, et al.. and if they're 320x200 only, expect an unrealistic fauxstalgic comparison to Pong. It's definitely a SeinfeldIsUnfunny kind of thing, because the very existence of such games existing in the same market as their shooters offends the so-called 'pc master race'

Unfortunately many of the 90s' Windows shovelware cover the same pre-1995 Visualbasic-riddled repositories just to gain up on marketing that 500 or 1000+ number with a huge sturgeon's law ratio, so a lot of decent freeware/shareware games of the mid-to-late '90s are lost in time. The same applies to DOS as well. Gaming magazine CDs often leave that out too to make room for commercial demos, though there ARE a few that do cover them slightly, like ComputerGamesStrategyPlus...which is hardly preserved.

(by the way, 3 of the overly angled/gleamed cds in the second picture are Animation Festival (shovelware of FLI/FLC files and some '92'93 PC demoscene yay), a "classic pc oldies" Karaoke CD and some SECOND world atlas thing.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 11, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still have a few shareware CDs sitting around...

• "100 Amazing Kid's Games: An awesome collection of games made just for kids" by Expert Software - Despite the CD's title (that made me assume it had only educational/preschool-type games), it actually also includes many action DOS games such as Jazz Jackrabbit, In Search of Dr. Riptide, Ancients, etc. which I wouldn't exactly consider "made just for kids". 🤣
  • "Over 1000 Games" by Eurekamultimedia
  • "Over 1000 Games: The Complete Encyclopedia of Games" by Microforum - On 2 discs.
  • Yet another "Over 1000 Games" by Microforum - Also on 2 discs.
  • Various other CDs such as "Future Game Classics", "Future Games", "Payless Multimedia" and so on.

They're mostly just a bunch of random shareware programs thrown onto a CD, but I actually liked using them. I got to discover and enjoy some nice DOS classics thanks to those CDs. 😀

Reply 8 of 11, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I was a younger, a lot of my PC gaming experience came from playing random games on shovelware compilations. I had about half a dozen of eGames' various releases, and when I was a bit older, I found a few DOS/Win95 era compilations in my parents' old computer stuff. I found some cool games through these compilations (like Shadow Warrior and Raptor: Call of the Shadows), and a LOT of crap as well. 🤣

Unfortunately, I think I lost most of them during a move, much like a lot of my other random disks. I'm still kicking myself over letting that stuff go.

Reply 10 of 11, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I posted some time ago, the shareware CD's I had.

One of which was mentioned in this thread already

Synthoridity wrote:
  • "Over 1000 Games: The Complete Encyclopedia of Games" by Microforum - On 2 discs.

I also have "Nothing But Action" and CD from GlobalStar that contained, alot of random freeware\shareware titles nobodies ever heard of in addition to the demos of: Die By The Sword, Gunmetal (a really old demo of Gunmetal at that), Redneck Rampage and a few other well known games.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 11 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:

There is another collection of such CDs on http://cd.textfiles.com/

I assume the situation here is the same as the Internet Archive (a lot of warez discs)? It's primarily the same uploader...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto