VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

[I know this isn't retro/PC related, but mods please let this thread stand, as I'm trying to do the following, and since this forum has some very knowledgeable people, I'm hoping I can get some help on the matter, since I'm new to iPads and Apple in general]

I've been asked to put some video files onto an iPad (an iPad Mini, I think, 14GB). So what software should I use, and if possible please suggest something other than iTunes, as I'm no fan of that software. I'm using Windows 7.

I only need to transfer across some video files (Mrs Brown's Boys, a very funny British program), so I'm not bothered about anything fancy on the Windows side of the program - I don't care about music meta-data, or album covers, or anything at all except for transferring the video files to the iPad so that a complete iPad novice (i.e the one person on the planet who knows less about the iPad than I do) can view the videos.

Also, the files are currently in .avi format, but I think I read that the iPad needs them in .mp4 format. If so, what's a good program (Handbrake, Format Factory, etc?) to convert them, and what settings should I use?

Thanks for any answers (especially if the answer involves a no-bloatware file transfer function between the PC and the iPad!)

Reply 1 of 3, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know what formats the iPad can read (I'm not intimately familiar with the iPad) but when you connect it up to Windows, does it show up in "Computer" as a removable device, and can you "open" that device and drop the file there? (there may be a folder tree that you have to explore a bit to find something like \user\media\video or somesuch) I've known that to work on iPods and other mp3/mp4 players in the past.

Reply 2 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You *will* need iTunes unless you really want to go the painful way which involves some kind of software that does read and write to the app folders.
Anyway, grab VLC from the app store https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/vlc-for-ios/i … 77962?l=en&mt=8, then itunes to drag and drop the files to VLC (in the apps tab when you view your mini, scroll down to the File Sharing part). Then run VLC on your mini and the files should be there and viewable.
No need to convert the files.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 3, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend suggested iFunbox, and it's great, and very easy to use, with none of that syncing rubbish, and it's done the job just fine. You still have to install iTunes to use iFunbox, but hopefully I'll never need to use iTunes (or touch another iPad again - my own Android tablet lets you just copy your music/comics/ebooks etc directly to the tablet as though it's another Windows drive, none of that having to use proprietary, bloated first party programs that dictate what you do and how you do it).

Thanks everyone for the answers, and I really recommend iFunbox (http://www.i-funbox.com/) for the job.