VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 31, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehe, a buddy of mine was having overheating problems with his laptop... so I suggested that he take a fan like this, rotate it up parallel with the floor, and set his laptop on it. Which he did 🤣! 😀

P.S. The pic doesn't do it justice... that fan is over 2-feet tall/diameter.

0004601334910_500X500.jpg

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 21 of 31, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not exactly ghetto, but here is my beast of a fan on PII-333. It consists of 2 socket 370 coolers with 2 high-profile 50x50 fans to cool them. The whole construction is glued to the CPU (thremal paste on the 80% of surface, glue on 20%). The fans are of 5V variety and are connected to 12V line consequently, which means each is delivered +6V. If I ever complete this build, there will be a voltage regulator on this line to help keep up with the noise.

The thing basically screams "I will eat you alive 😁"

P1020918.JPG
P1020921.JPG

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2014-06-26, 07:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 31, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@RacoonRider

That's neat! Of all the CPUs I just love the original SECC Pentium II's the most (OK, Slot A Athlons too!) 😀 And your dual HSF mod seems to fit perfectly.

What's that motherboard you're using? Interesting because it uses SIMM slots... 440FX I guess?
Is it this Packard Bell OEM?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 23 of 31, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:
@RacoonRider […]
Show full quote

@RacoonRider

That's neat! Of all the CPUs I just love the original SECC Pentium II's the most (OK, Slot A Athlons too!) 😀 And your dual HSF mod seems to fit perfectly.

What's that motherboard you're using? Interesting because it uses SIMM slots... 440FX I guess?
Is it this Packard Bell OEM?

It's a classic Intel PD440FX from the dumpster :Ъ The two look astonishingly similar and seem to share PCB. Mine has YMF715 intergated though.

Reply 24 of 31, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, yeah, that Packard Bell board must be an Intel OEM. I've never run into a PD440FX before. Integrated OPL-3 is definitely a nice bonus.

From the dumpster.. 😲 Good find!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 25 of 31, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:

Oh I love these quotes, especially the prophetic second one 😊

Considering finding it in the dumpster, it's the only worthy thing I ever got there, to be honest 😀

Reply 26 of 31, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:

What is that last picture?

a pico-psu installed inside an A1200

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 28 of 31, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
Stojke wrote:

I thought it was an sound amplifier. What is it used for?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 29 of 31, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:
keropi wrote:

It's a tiny DC-DC PSU (see here for a good description) typically used with an external AC-DC adaptor. Often used in silent HTPC and 'minimalist' computer audio builds. Last time I checked they range from 90-160W, though there are other alternatives.

RacoonRider wrote:

Oh I love these quotes, especially the prophetic second one 😊

"A 4Dfx VoodooMask 6000!" (what he screamed right before he come up with that wisdom.) 😁

Reply 30 of 31, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:
keropi wrote:
Stojke wrote:

it's a mini psu that gets powered from an external 12v brick (like the laptop ones) , gets plugged directly in the ATX socket and it can be used in special setups, mostly mITX ones. I just modded it for use with an amiga. Here is some more info: http://www.minipc.de/catalog/il/575

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website