VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8mco8ULr8U

I uploaded this today to show how the music in Gunmetal changes very often based on numerous different internal criteria.

Has anyone got a game to share that acts like this with it's music? (inb4iMUSE)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 12, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OMF:BG's dynamic music system is actually not that bad as it makes sure not to cycle to a different tune section until the previous one is concluded, so at least it sounds consistent. Descent 3 has a similar music system that's timed to schedule changes from event triggers, either time-based or map-position based.

Magic Carpet and Magic Carpet 2 are interesting in that each tune has two flavours, a peaceful one and a combat one, both playing in sync but one is always faded out while the other runs, and they fade between each other depending on if the player is taking damage or not.

System Shock's music system is... odd... I've never been able to quite figure out what exactly it's doing as whole music pieces appear and disappear based on certain areas and it sometimes feels like it's glitching out rather than being dynamic. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The early Lithtech games also do this (Shogo, Blood 2, Nolf)

NiGHTs also has very dynamic music 😀 and it's rarer to find disc-console examples of this due to the whole stream access seeking thing.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 12, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasn't NiGHTs one of those games that used this "CyberSound" MIDI driver for the Sega Saturn?

System Shock 1's music changes depending on which part of the level you are on and if you're in proximity with enemies. Certain enemies trigger "musical ambient sounds".

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 8 of 12, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Portal 2!

Also, from this article, about Portal 2's dynamic music system, Left4Dead is mentioned, though I don't like zombie stuff that much (OK, except Doom).

Some games are said to be dynamic on PS/Dreamcast but not on the PC version (don't remember which ones). Soul Reaver 1 is an example.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 9 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

X-wing and TIE Fighter. Sometimes the music behave correctly (ie waiting for the played music to finish before switching to the new "situation-appropriate" one), but sometimes they jump rightly to the new one.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really liked how in Super Mario Galaxy 2, the music would pick up an extra drum track when you get Yoshi. Mario Kart 7 does something similar when you get into first place. It's a nice touch.