VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As it says in the title, i have a spare internet cable laying around and my computers are close enough so i can hok them both up,
but im not sure what i can do with it, remote connect to the windows 98 machine?
and its connected between the cable only.

Last edited by Nic-93 on 2014-06-30, 21:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 10, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a NIC in my Windows 98 Machine which is connected to my home network, I've shared a folder on the 98 box which then I copy files across between my main machine and the 98 box. Works very well.

To control the 98 machine, you would be better off installing a VNC Server, such a Tight VNC and control it via your main box over the network via the client.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 4 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

Unless it's a crossover Ethernet cable (or unless perhaps you have a gigabit ethernet card in your Win98 machine), you can't do jack squat, if I'm not mistaken.

Reply 5 of 10, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
Nic-93 wrote:

Unless it's a crossover Ethernet cable (or unless perhaps you have a gigabit ethernet card in your Win98 machine), you can't do jack squat, if I'm not mistaken.

It actually would just require at least one of the NICs to support Auto-MDIX if the cable is a normal patch cable. A newer machine/NIC should have this capability.

As far as connecting the two machines, it could be useful to send data back and forth if that's needed (like what foey explained), or you could use it to remotely control one machine via something like VNC or an input sharing application like Synergy, assuming each system has its own monitor and they're setup reasonably close (it can be awkward if the machines aren't nearby).

Reply 6 of 10, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
Nic-93 wrote:

Works fine for me... Crossover cables are for uplink port, aren't they? I tried connecting all sorts of computers directly with ethernet cable, worked every time just as well as connecting them through a router.

My main LAN is wireless and my "retro" LAN includes my main rig with whatever 100Mbit ethernet adaptor is built into ASUS P5B and an IBM PC-300PL with Intel Pro100 connected directly. I use it to transfer iso images of games and software. Never had a single problem with it.

Reply 8 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is exactly how I now get 3 1/2" floppy disk data onto my Windows 8 system, by transferring it via an ethernet cable directly plugged into the back of my Windows 8 system, into the PCMCIA networking card for my Windows 98 laptop. Only catch was at first, it didn't work because of the way the IP addresses were configured, so I had to fiddle with that a little... forget exactly what I had to do but it wasn't TOO tricky to figure out, though not immediately obvious either. Once I got it figured out though it worked perfectly fine and I now keep my one and only long ethernet cable (I have others but they're really short) stashed in my laptop carrying case. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 9 of 10, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
Nic-93 wrote:

the internet driver is broadcom netxtreme gigabit

Reply 10 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I say go for it!
You will learn a little about networking -well a lot really as Win98 and Win8 are VERY different! but once its working, being able to copy files between the 2 makes life so easy.