VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the windows 98 has a broadcom netxtreme gigabit and its a ethernet cable i connect the computers with and now i need a way to make the windows 8 computer to find the windows 98 machine so the windows 8 can act as a host machine for the win98se computer.

Reply 1 of 9, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GOOOOOOOOOD LUCK BUD. I've been networking computers since Windows 95 and let me tell you seting up a LAN on Windows 95 computers or even mixed computers using 95 - XP is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier than networking Windows 7 and 8 with anything (even each other), I mean maybe it's just me but I can't figure out these new operating systems at all.

I couldn't even get Windows 8 to see XP let alone try and network it with 98. (Also hopefully you are using SE?)

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I setup a Linux VM for this issue with Samba server. It is for LAN use only and configured to not require any authentication. This works very well for MS-DOS LANManager up to Win8.
Also Linux allows to basically reshare anything from the filesystem (like Host resources mounted in the VM) where some windows server can not reshare network drives.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 9, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've successfully got Windows 95, 98, NT 3.51 and NT 4 to access shares on a Windows 7 desktop. The most fool-proof method is to disable password-protected sharing. Obviously this comes with its own set of risks, but it's less faffing about than trying to get Win9x NTLMv2 authentication working properly, and it's easy to reverse the changes later on: just flick the password-protected sharing switch back to enabled.

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2014-07-03, 13:45. Edited 1 time in total.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 9, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

GOOOOOOOOOD LUCK BUD. I've been networking computers since Windows 95 and let me tell you seting up a LAN on Windows 95 computers or even mixed computers using 95 - XP is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier than networking Windows 7 and 8 with anything (even each other), I mean maybe it's just me but I can't figure out these new operating systems at all.

I couldn't even get Windows 8 to see XP let alone try and network it with 98. (Also hopefully you are using SE?)

im useing second edition.

Reply 5 of 9, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

I've successfully got Windows 95, 98, NT 3.51 and NT 4 to access shares on a Windows 7 desktop. The most fool-proof method is to disable password-protected sharing. Obviously this comes with its own set of risks, but it's less faffing about than trying to get Win9x NTLMv2 authentication working properly.

how are you makeing them share on the windows 7 computer?
my windows 8 is directly connected to the windows 98 computer.

Reply 6 of 9, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know what your general computer skills are like, but just share the folder the same way you'd share it with other Win7 or 8 computers.

Then when you turn off password-protected sharing, the Win98 computer will be able to access the share using the UNC path (like "\\win7computer\sharename").

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 7 of 9, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

I don't know what your general computer skills are like, but just share the folder the same way you'd share it with other Win7 or 8 computers.

Then when you turn off password-protected sharing, the Win98 computer will be able to access the share using the UNC path (like "\\win7computer\sharename").

i have seen it is possibel to connect it over wifi i can share that way with my router.

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The key is to explicitly enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the Windows 8 network settings.

However, it really is easier to just dispense with Windows Networking entirely. Get a tiny SSH server for your Windows 8 PC and an SFTP client for your Windows 98 computer. It will work without any problems. You won't be able to "stream" data from your Windows 98 network shares, but that's a small sacrifice.

Reply 9 of 9, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

The key is to explicitly enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the Windows 8 network settings.

However, it really is easier to just dispense with Windows Networking entirely. Get a tiny SSH server for your Windows 8 PC and an SFTP client for your Windows 98 computer. It will work without any problems. You won't be able to "stream" data from your Windows 98 network shares, but that's a small sacrifice.

hmmm, i am going to look for a spare wifi connector.