VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all!

I think I need some help from an Excel Guru, especially in regards to graphing.

What I do is best describes as research. I test old machines and document the findings so that others can use it as a reference.

The current project tests how one and two (SLI) 3Dfx Voodoo 2 scale across various CPUs, different resolutions and games. There will be 4 or 5 platforms with maybe up to 50 CPUs and wide range of results.

I have all the data in tables like this:

eRjENB4.png

Within Excel I created graphs like this one:

T3Cr0l0.png

While it does allow me to read all the information from the graph, it quickly becomes cluttered and too hard to read. Also the difference between singe card and SLI is not that obvious to see.

I kind like this format:

notNcSK.png

The downside is that I will end up with 100s of graphs.

Then I thought about putting the results of several systems for one game into a graph:

b2jKkzj.png

I like how it looks, but couldn't figure out how to control the colours of the line (so that the single card and SLI results of one CPU are of the same colour).

So I'm wondering if there is a better way to visualise all this data?

Thank you!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 7, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I like how it looks, but couldn't figure out how to control the colours of the line (so that the single card and SLI results of one CPU are of the same colour).

That probably depends on your version of Excel... but in 2007 you double-click the line itself (so it's highlighted), then right click and choose "format data series". You'll get a menu with Line Color amongst other things. It'll probably be set to Automatic, so change that to Solid Line and you'll be able to choose your own color.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok that worked. But when I add a few results it quickly becomes a mess of lines 🙁

My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 7, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In that case you should go 3D... it's only appropriate in this context. 🤣

3dchart.png
Filename
3dchart.png
File size
218.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 7, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, you can select a line graph, go to the Chart Tools -> Design ribbon, hit "change chart type" and pick one of the 3D types. Presets for each type are available in the "chart layouts" thingie.
Then the Format ribbon lets you play with rotations, axes, effects, etc. to your heart's content... takes a while to make it look passable though 😀

Edit: attaching the file, maybe you can play around with it and adapt it to your own data format.

Attachments

• Filename
    3dchart_.zip
    File size
    268.26 KiB
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing to keep in mind here - if you want to present all of the data from 4 resolutions with 50+ combinations with CPUs and SLI in one graph it will look incredibly cluttered/complicated no matter HOW you have it draw, because that's 200 different points of data. Making multiple graphs will simplify that presentation dramatically. IMHO I'd do what the "big boys" (like Anandtech or Guru3D) do - graph per resolution with a basic bar chart, so you have a 512x384 chart that shows all of the CPUs and stacks whatever 20-50 high, and then one for SLI, and so on. You'll end up with 4-8 total graphics depending on if you separate SLI or not, and it will be much easier to view the kinds of trends you want to represent.

EDIT I do like that 3D graph though. 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There will have to be all sorts of graphs. I'm finding it a lot of work to be honest.

I think I will focus on getting the raw data first, then tackle the graphs.

The graphs will have to show findings from all sorts of angles. But yea, lots of work it seems 😵

My YouTube channel