VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have yet to activate my new XP box because I know once I do I am "stuck" with that configuration.

One my my last issues is the.......hard drive. It currently has a ST340016A (40-gigabute). Old reliable - I probably have 10-12 of these drives and have bot had one fail. But a tad small.

The MB is an Asus a7v600 which DOES have SATA support. Now I have ZERO experience with SATA.
(1) Would a newer drive work with it? I have heard different things about that.
(2) Would the computer be able to recognize it without loading drivers? I have heard stories about people having to boot on an IDE and install drivers to get the SATA recognized. Like I say, I have no experience with SATA.

My gut tells me it works, leave it alone, and save SATA for the next build. This is kind of an "in-between board," The small drive size can be compensated for with external drives.

I am also dubious as to the reliability of these newer drives. Seems when you start reading reviews they are all VERY mixed - regardless of which brand you are talking about.

Any feedbck will be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 11, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It should work; worst case you will need a diskette that you insert during the XP installation (where it holds up to let you install disk drivers) to have the SATA controller (not the drive) drivers available during install. Newer versions of XP (SP2/3) have more drivers in their builds than "base" or SP1 builds though, and it may not be an issue at all. If the board has "SATA Emulation" options in the BIOS that may eliminate the problem as well (just set it to IDE and it should work). As far as new drives and whatnot, I think the reliability thing is somewhat overblown anymore - WD and Seagate still make good drives, but there will be a fail rate with anything; anymore I think all you hear about with "user reviews" is the bad experiences though.

As far as adding a new drive, I'd think 40GB shouldn't be a big problem for Windows XP unless you're installing more modern games that eat up a few GB a piece. You might just add in another 40GB or two (you said you have a few of them) and be okay though.

Also, what do you mean by "stuck"?

Reply 3 of 11, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To force enchanced HDD mode in Xp w/o reinstall:
1) force all yours "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" drivers to "Standard dual-channel IDE controller".
2) reboot, go to BIOS, set enchanced mode, reboot again. Boot Xp. This *censored* OS booting ok w/o any registry teaks or reinstalling...
3) update drivers for "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers".
Tested with Asus P4P800 SE and Acer Aspire 5920G...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 11, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the replies - this is pretty much telling me what I wanted to know - that I don't want to mess with it

The drivers I don't understand - if you need a driver for it, then how can you even boot with it initially?

Reply 5 of 11, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ncmark wrote:

Thanks for the replies - this is pretty much telling me what I wanted to know - that I don't want to mess with it

The drivers I don't understand - if you need a driver for it, then how can you even boot with it initially?

SATA is "usually" converted to look like IDE drives in BIOS. Unless your are planning to build a SATA RAID, you should not need a floppy drivers disk during XP install. The only "drivers" you might need would be enhanced drivers that will load "in" XP. Much like installing enhanced Video Card drivers. XP works fine, and can boot without them, but install them and it performs better. Again, the only time you would need a floppy (or CD-ROM I guess,) drivers disk, is if you are installing a RAID configuration.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 6 of 11, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BEWARE: Some modern SATA drives won't work directly in older SATA controllers. Some of them have a jumper that selects lower speeds (1.5 gbps instead of 3 gbps) to allow them to talk with SATA 1 controllers.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 7 of 11, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FeedingDragon wrote:

SATA is "usually" converted to look like IDE drives in BIOS. Unless your are planning to build a SATA RAID, you should not need a floppy drivers disk during XP install. The only "drivers" you might need would be enhanced drivers that will load "in" XP. Much like installing enhanced Video Card drivers. XP works fine, and can boot without them, but install them and it performs better. Again, the only time you would need a floppy (or CD-ROM I guess,) drivers disk, is if you are installing a RAID configuration.

+1. If the BIOS is providing IDE emulation (which most do) it should be completely transparent to the XP installer, there will be nothing to "mess with." If you need RAID or the controller isn't providing emulation it may need a floppy run during the XP installation (which XP even provides a pop-up message for; it's very painless and very simple) - just as you would for some stand-alone SCSI or PATA controller cards. XP may alternately have the drivers already available during install, especially if it's a more common controller and you're using a later version of XP (SP2 or higher). For example the SATA ports on my A8N-SLI didn't require any intervention for XP SP2 to install - everything "just works" out of the box once it's set to IDE emulation (one setting in the BIOS). IMHO simpler than PATA having to adjust jumpers and whatnot for multiple drives per channel.

Reply 8 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

+1. If the BIOS is providing IDE emulation (which most do) it should be completely transparent to the XP installer, there will be nothing to "mess with."

But isn't SATA mode faster than AHCI mode?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 11, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

You mean SATA and PATA(IDE)? Yes, SATA is faster. Best PATA speed is UDMA-6 (UDMA-133) mode with approximatedly 133 MB/s burst data rate. Most Intel controllers force you to UDMA-5 with 100 MB/s.
SATA-1 have 150MB/s burst data rate. SATA-2 - 300 MB/s. SATA-3 - 600 MB/s.
Plus SATA1.0a devices are supporting NCQ, this technology adds the speed too.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 10 of 11, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Technically yes, but very few mechanical drives (especially those smaller than 1TB or older than a year or two) are going to sustain >100MB/s. It would be a bottleneck for most modern SSDs though, if that's a concern. Of course go with the fastest compatible mode your hardware/software supports.

Reply 11 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:

BEWARE: Some modern SATA drives won't work directly in older SATA controllers. Some of them have a jumper that selects lower speeds (1.5 gbps instead of 3 gbps) to allow them to talk with SATA 1 controllers.

Excellent point!

To avoid having to load a SATA driver there is usually an option in the BIOS to run it in IDE mode. I do this on my Pentium 4 motherboard. It runs a modern SATA HDD and using XP you don't even need to worry about size limitations. I usually create a 32GB or 64GB partition because that's all I need.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel