VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WhatANerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New guy saying hi

Hey everyone, just thought I would introduce myself. I've been lurking for a while, but your enthusiasm for old junk is infectious, so I just had to join and share!

I started getting back into vintage stuff a few years ago, just before Steve Jobs passed. I was born in 1983 and have always been a PC guy; my first was a maddening Tandy 1000RL that I hated and sold off, but somehow ended up in possession of once again 20 years later. However, I had secretly lusted after a Macintosh Quadra 700 ever since seeing Jurassic Park on the big screen when I was a kid. After much deliberating on whether or not I should go looking for obsolete computers to tinker with (the sickness begins!), I finally found one for free on Craigslist - owned by a former Eastman-Kodak employee to boot! When he retired after many decades with the company, they allowed him to keep his workstation. He was still using it up until he posted it on Craigslist, except that now it was throwing out memory errors. Rather than listening to his wife and carting it on down to the e-waste recycler to be slaughtered after years of faithful service, he decided to humanely put it up for adoption on the interwebs. I can't say I blame him. It turns out that the "memory errors" were caused by the original PRAM battery finally dying.

So great, I finally found the computer I had been lusting after since childhood. The only problem was that the system was 2,300 miles away in Tennessee (I'm in Los Angeles).

The gentleman generously allowed me to have the complete system, printers, CD-ROM drive, Magneto-Optical drive, and a huge box of parts for free, provided I pay for shipping. I must have had five or six boxes show up! Unfortunately, a certain earth-colored shipping company dropped the monitor box and cracked the huge, rare CRT beyond repair. There was a silver lining, though: the amount of money I received from the insurance covered the entire cost of shipping the parts! 🤣 The former owner was ecstatic to know that his old Mac was still going strong after a new battery, and was now being taken care of by someone who could really appreciate it.

Anyway, here's a pic of that system (at the man's house). You may have seen my Youtube vids where I pit it against a similar PC from the era.

my700-4-ed1.jpeg
Gah, I wish the monitor had survived! maddance3.gif

Shortly after this, I picked up various other systems and built a few that represented the PC era I like best: from '89-'95.

I was thinking of starting a new thread every few weeks detailing the systems in my sig.

This Quadra is loaded - 68MB of RAM, SuperMac Thunder/24 3MB graphics card, 2GB hard drive, and it even has all of its original feet!

Last edited by WhatANerd on 2014-07-04, 03:40. Edited 2 times in total.
  • x86: Tandy 1000RL (HD+768K), Tandy 3000HD, 486DX33 VLB, 486DX50 VLB, Packard Bell Force 1998CDT (Pentium 133)
  • 68K: Mac Plus 1MB (early), Quadra 700 (2), Quadra 950, Quadra 650

Clock multiplication is too new for me, as you can see!

Reply 1 of 9, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome!

I'm envious of that Quadra setup. My Q700 isn't nearly as well appointed, it's hooked up to a Hitachi monitor and an off-brand SCSI CD-ROM drive.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 9, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Quadra brings back memories, we had many of those systems when i worked as a journalist in the 90's, of course most of us made do with LC's 😀 Anyhow, lovely system and welcome to the forum!

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 3 of 9, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn, the whole set looks great!

WhatANerd wrote:

So great, I finally found the computer I had been lusting after since childhood.

I always like this kind of story. Always reminds me that time could be so meaningless! 😀 The original owner's history only adds to that intangible touch.

Don't worry about the CRT. I'd just look for a good 17" Sony Trinitron, clean off the brand markings etc and put a nice little Apple logo on the corner.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Quadra 700 is a sweet machine. It's the second fastest machine of it's era (the not as cheap or easy to find IIfx being the fastest), has reasonable expansion capabilities and because it's so compact it fits damn near anywhere you could think of to put it.

Reply 5 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome! That is an awesome condition for a PC so old! If I were you, I would drive to Tennessee to ensure safe delivery. Besides, I would be very glad to meet the previous owner in person. That would be a great adventure - driving 2300 miles for your childhood dream 😀

Reply 6 of 9, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WhatANerd wrote:

I've been lurking for a while, but your enthusiasm for old junk is infectious

It's clinical; we call it "Retroitus". Symptoms include hoarding electronics, copying files from floppy disks to modern computers, using CRT monitors, and buying larger houses when you run out of space. While it's possible for someone to be cured at random, the condition is often chronic and incurable, though it's only fatal if one doesn't take proper precautions when dealing with the insides of high-voltage equipment such as CRTs and power supplies.

You may want to talk to your doctor about it, though I doubt there's much they could do for you as research into a cure has been pretty stagnant. You're just gonna have to learn to live with it as best you can really. :/

...I'm trying so very hard not to burst out laughing at everything I just wrote... without success! XD

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 7 of 9, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And that is not to be confused with retroitis. It has been succinctly described as (an) acute inflammatory condition where one typically goes through a fever high enough to induce deliria, nausea and vivid hallucinations involving a certain group of 20th century historical artifacts.

Obsessive activities such as searching, bidding and sniping at online auction sites every 5 to 20 minutes during waking hours have been known to exacerbate the condition.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 8 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
archsan wrote:

And that is not to be confused with retroitis. It has been succinctly described as (an) acute inflammatory condition where one typically goes through a fever high enough to induce deliria, nausea and vivid hallucinations involving a certain group of 20th century historical artifacts.

Obsessive activities such as searching, bidding and sniping at online auction sites every 5 to 20 minutes during waking hours have been known to exacerbate the condition.

I thought that was just normal behavior? 🤣

Seriously though - very cool Quadra, and I agree that the history behind it is equally cool; always nice to hear about what various old machines have actually done or contributed to the world around them. Shame about the monitor, but I agree with just getting a Trinitron and dressing it up - it'll at least be close. 😊

Reply 9 of 9, by WhatANerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the warm welcome and compliments, guys. I had never even seen a Quadra 700 in the flesh until I got this one. I appreciate reading all of your stories so I'll be sharing more as time allows. I'm certainly envious of many of your systems too. Oh and don't take my first post the wrong way; I'm definitely a PC guy! badrazz.gif

This is the weirdest hobby I've ever had, and it was very unexpected too. I was always one of those guys who just threw out my old PC stuff without a second thought, always looking to get the newest tech. I guess I'm getting old.

lol2.gif Gemini and archsan: you guys sure have me pegged...so far, the farthest I've driven was 80 miles (one way!) to pick up a like-new Packard Bell. PACKARD BELL of all things! A few years ago I wouldn't have taken one of those if you came up and left it on my porch!

sliderider wrote:

The Quadra 700 is a sweet machine. It's the second fastest machine of it's era (the not as cheap or easy to find IIfx being the fastest), has reasonable expansion capabilities and because it's so compact it fits damn near anywhere you could think of to put it.

This is really interesting, because I have done some comparisons with my Quadra. I know the 40MHz bus on the IIfx was a screamer, but a guy with one on YouTube just happened to record a vid launching MS Word 6, which I also used in one of my comparisons. The Quadra seems faster, even with the slower bus! In the vid he says the IIfx has 20MB of RAM. How much is physical is anyone's guess, since it was filmed in 240p mad2.gif. Not to mention we don't know what kind of hard drive it has. But it's interesting to see them compared as complete systems, nonetheless. The Quadra 700 at 25MHz just barely eeks out a victory in this particular case of launching an app. I'm sure the IIfx is faster at other things, though, especially with processor direct cards.

Here's a vid I just put together: http://youtu.be/BkJNxc-Wsdc

• x86: Tandy 1000RL (HD+768K), Tandy 3000HD, 486DX33 VLB, 486DX50 VLB, Packard Bell Force 1998CDT (Pentium 133)
  • 68K: Mac Plus 1MB (early), Quadra 700 (2), Quadra 950, Quadra 650

Clock multiplication is too new for me, as you can see!