VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
2 years ago I purchased a Radeon 9200 PCI for my B&W. Since it's a new edition, based on the Radeon 9250, Mac OS 9 will not work with most drivers available. Even the rare January 2005 update won't work with it, so I actually need the ultra-rare july 2005 update. The guys at http://www.macos9lives.com/smforum/ have it, but my aproval there is pending and I have no idea if they're still accepting new members and I found it nowhere else over the entire net. Any help is appreciated, I wouldn't want to have such a good card become useless for me.
EDIT: Nevermind, they tacitly approved me and got it. Gonna test it right now

Reply 2 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

What you need is Mac OS 9.2.2. That is the only version of Mac OS 9 that the 9200 will work with.

http://lowendmac.com/video/pci/radeon-9200.html

I have Mac OS 9.2.2, but for some reason my 9200 won't work with classic at all. Even with this july 2005 update.

Reply 4 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Here's a link to a driver for the 9200. See if that works.

http://gona.mactar.hu/ATI_Mac/ATI_Radeon_9200 … _-_OS_9.sit.hqx

I tried that one before. Didn't work.

Reply 5 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this a PC card that has been flashed with a Mac ROM? It might be a bad flash if it is or maybe 9250 is different enough from the 9200 that the same driver won't work because I have two beige Powermacs (7500 and 7600) with 9200 LE cards pulled from Xserve's that work fine with that driver.

Here's something related to the 9250 that may be the problem you are having

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/9250-trick

Reply 6 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Is this a PC card that has been flashed with a Mac ROM? It might be a bad flash if it is or maybe 9250 is different enough from the 9200 that the same driver won't work because I have two beige Powermacs (7500 and 7600) with 9200 LE cards pulled from Xserve's that work fine with that driver.

Here's something related to the 9250 that may be the problem you are having

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/9250-trick

Yes, I've seen this before. I'll need to take it somewhere someone could do this for me. It doesn't seem to match mine (but mine's got a serial number of a real mac card).

Reply 7 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aparently my card design has nothing to do with these 2, so it's almost impossible to find these bastards. I think the card is useless.

Reply 8 of 12, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

he fixed this by installeding one of our installs over at mac os 9 lives.com but the thing thats bothering me is
noone has figured out WHY it works with the collection of extensions from that installation and not say .. an updated regular old os9 install from a cd...

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 9 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrisNova777 wrote:

he fixed this by installeding one of our installs over at mac os 9 lives.com but the thing thats bothering me is
noone has figured out WHY it works with the collection of extensions from that installation and not say .. an updated regular old os9 install from a cd...

Maybe the card required an up-to-date Mac OS ROM since it was only supported in Mac OS 9.2.2 among the Classics. It was most commonly used as an upgrade for later G4s, which included updated Mac OS 9.2.2. The card doesn't work at all on 9.2.2 for some machines, so it is really picky. But thanks to your help and the guys from macos9lives.com I can now enjoy it.

Reply 10 of 12, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just to update the thread on what the final outcome was..
im pretty sure that user filipetolhuizen was able to get his 9200 installed + working only after installing
a newer version of 9.2.2 he aquired from macos9lives.com site - then everything just worked
so there must be some dependancies on specific extension/driver file versions
as the version he was using when commenting above just plain out would not work
until he reinstalled from scratch using a more up to date version of os9.2.2

im facing a similar issue right now with a 9200LE Mac Edition PCI VGA/DVI card
just trying to get 2d Accell working so i can use the card
it works great on my B+W g3 running os8.6, supports sleep, wake up properly
but the 2d accelleration is not working

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 11 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrisNova777 wrote:
just to update the thread on what the final outcome was.. im pretty sure that user filipetolhuizen was able to get his 9200 inst […]
Show full quote

just to update the thread on what the final outcome was..
im pretty sure that user filipetolhuizen was able to get his 9200 installed + working only after installing
a newer version of 9.2.2 he aquired from macos9lives.com site - then everything just worked
so there must be some dependancies on specific extension/driver file versions
as the version he was using when commenting above just plain out would not work
until he reinstalled from scratch using a more up to date version of os9.2.2

im facing a similar issue right now with a 9200LE Mac Edition PCI VGA/DVI card
just trying to get 2d Accell working so i can use the card
it works great on my B+W g3 running os8.6, supports sleep, wake up properly
but the 2d accelleration is not working

Now that you mention it, there also was a driver's package* a few years ago..
Unfortunately, the thread seems to be gone by now.

So it doesn't make sense to post any links (which is better not to do, anyway).
I guess it is okay to name the names of the drivers, though.

These were some of the Radeon packages for Mac OS:
AtiRadeonMacOs9Jul2005.sit
ati-retail-9-2-2-jan2005.hqx
mac-radeon9000-100.hqx
os9_radeon_020114.hqx
radeon9200romhotfixos9.hqx

(*the nVidia counterpart was "nVidia3.5.2Drivers.sit")

Another site also still hosts Radeon drivers. Have at look for "Ati drivers for Mac OS Classic".

Attachments

• os9_package_ati.gif
    Filename
    os9_package_ati.gif
    File size
    85.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Radeon 9200LE will probably require macos9lives updated Mac OS 9.2.2 as well. I could only boot OS 8.6 without loading any drivers for it, otherwise it would freeze upon booting. Same thing happened with stock versions of 9.2.2.